Do You Really "Care" If Someone's Gay Or Not???

by minimus 76 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    "Intended" by our Founding Fathers, who based most of the law's lands on the good old Bible

You just made me realize that I have no idea what the "laws" about marriage are. I've heard there's an age restriction, and apparently you need one of each gender, but what else is there? And when did these laws get written? The constitution doesn't touch on marriage, does it?

Intent needs to be read in view of time, too. The "right to bear arms" wasn't intended to put shoulder-fired rockets in the hands of citizens, I'd bet. They didn't exist at the time, so there wasn't any need to address it. Homosexuals 200 years ago didn't have any rights even socially, but times have changed.

Put another way, do you think the "intent" of prior marriage law was to exclude gays? Or was it just not considered when the laws were written?

Dave

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy
    My opinion is that "marriage" was intended to be a union of a male and a female........

If we go along with that reasoning people were "intended" to be born without serious birth defects.

That being said, should people being born blind, deaf or mute or missing extremities be denied certain benefits that people born healthy enjoy?

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

If a State recognizes a gay marriage does this force the Federal government to recognize the same union?

For example, can a gay married couple use the filing status on their Federal tax return as "Married Filing Joint?"

• minimus
    minimus

I think that gays were not even thought about regarding marital law in this country or for that matter in any country. Government has the right to legalize anything---or not. Of course, if people can make lawmakers change an existing law, the gov't might resist but the majority should be able to change a law if it is a "bad" law. That's why most "blue laws" have been abolished by the legislature.............Little Rock, why are you comparing gays to ones with defects??

• jstalin
    jstalin
    For example, can a gay married couple use the filing status on their Federal tax return as "Married Filing Joint?"

No. The Federal Defense of Marriage Act (signed into law by President Clinton) specifically prohibits the federal government from recognizing state-recognized gay marriages. Gay couple aren't allowed to file joint tax returns, share in federal benefits (like pensions and social security death benefits), or get any other federal benefit allowed to straight married couples.

• xjwms
    xjwms

I don't care either way.

As long as we treat each other with kindness and respect.

Jesus was kind to all people.

And.....Love for human-kind is the main goal here .....right?

• luna2
    luna2
    "Intended" by who?

Yup, that's the first thought that popped into my head too.

Our "founding fathers" were human beings. They weren't perfect creatures of superior morality.

The Bible would be fine as an argument if I believed that a superior being, our creator, had anything to do with it. Guess for people who do believe that the Bible is from God, then that might work for them.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I really don't care.

For a long time, I was taught to care when in reality, it makes no difference.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

No I don't care - being 'gay' (or any other type of label) doesn't make anyone less than human. I might not actually approve of a particular lifestyle choice but that's my problem, not theirs! We're all entitled to our own views.

I don't have any problem with same sex civil ceremonies either, this adequately serves the purpose of cutting the legal red tape which gay rights activists campaign for, and is a public declaration of a couple's committment to one another, a commendable thing to do imho - but same sex marriage within a religious context, I feel would be hypocritical if the religion in question disapproves of homosexuality.

• jstalin
    jstalin

OFF TOPIC - Sad Emo, whenever I see your name and avatar, it makes me sad! Please, be happier!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit