Your Most Hair-Raising Moments in Field Service

by The wanderer 38 Replies latest jw friends

• AnonyMouse
    AnonyMouse

I would brave the insults and violence (I happen to think myself skilled at hand to hand) to see some attractive women that don't like to wear clothes that early in the morning ;) .

Don't blame me...blame the hormones. Or the gender, either/or :P.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Wow....you guys have had some CRAZY fs experiences! I never had anything mentioned previously happen to me: no sicced dogs, no guns pointed at me, never got chased. There was one time where I thought something bad was going to happen. We were working Section 8 housing (lower income). I and a Filipina sister knocked on a door and this enthusiastic Mediterranean-sounding gentleman answered.

"Hello! Who are you? What are you here for? Are you here to spread the word of Christ?" he fired off to us. We were taken aback by his ardent questioning and insistent, loud tone of voice.

"Yes...yes we are..." I managed.

"Come! Come, come, come, come in! Please!" he gestured, clapping me on the shoulder. I exchanged concerned glances with the sister. A debilitating wave of anxiety washed over me. I felt like a cattle knowing he was on his way to the slaughter. Getting away from the door seemed like a great idea, but I had never been shown this much interest, so I meekly agreed to go in. The sister looked concerned but said nothing. The man ushered us inside his apartment.

The apartment was poorly lit and somewhat untidy. At that moment I expected somebody to come around the corner with a shotgun and pump me and the sister full of buckshot. I imagined the headlines: "Two Gullible Jehovah's Witnesses Murdered." I knew we'd be dead, but at least we'd be martyrs. "Come, come! Look at this! This is my chapel," he informed us. He was referring to a picture on the wall of Jesus, non-WTS style. The bookcase underneath the picture was lined with unlit votive candles and decorative doilies.

"Now, who is this man?" he asked.

"It's Jesus," I said.

"And who is he? Who is Jesus?"

"Jesus is God's Son."

"Yes, and...?"

"Our Lord," said the sister.

"Yes, and...?"

"The Prince of Peace?" I offered.

"Yes, AND...?"

"He's the Messiah...?" By this answer I felt confused. I wasn't sure what answer was going to get him to stop, but I needed to come up with something different.

"Yes. And?"

"He's our Savior."

"Yes! Our savior! And if you're not here to talk about him, then you may go."

So, long story short, we gave him a Jesus mag. (thank goodness we had some at the time) and a Require brochure. The sister encouraged me to go back on him, but I had never been that scared in quite some time. Besides, I admired his zeal and didn't want to see a man like that trudge to the meetings day after day. Mainly I didn't want to see him again...

• moanzy
    moanzy

HoChiMin,

Maybe that was me that you saw naked!!! When I was disfellowshipped I answered the door naked by accident. Yep there were two witnesses standing at my door. I was in so much shock, I turned around showing my bare ass and ran inside.

In case you can't figure out why I was naked, I was in the bath and my little puppy started to take a pee pee right in front of me so I shot out of the tub and went to throw him outside. We lived out in the boonies and never had company.

Moanzy

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Well Moanzy if it had been you I would have made a return visit.

HCM

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

On one of my last days out on the preach the Poor-mother-of-three and I were assigned together on some weekender properties; about 30 acres each. About lunchtime I had to pee, and even though we were only about 20 minute drive from home she sent me into the forested front yard of the place we'd just been in (kind of like shaking the dust from your feet....) I was so scared about being seen by the kids in the car that I walked way into the property. After *ahem* well yes, I turned and realised I was in full view of the upper storey of the house. I'd been pioneering for a year, and out on the preach every Saturday morning for years. The next day, Saturday, I didn't get up to attend the field service group, and it felt so good that after a few days I'd stopped pioneering.

• chiddy
    chiddy

Not really hair raising but true about a sister in a local cong in London who was out on F/S and was invited in by a male householder and ended up having sex with him, talk about preaching the good news!

• Woofer
    Woofer

These are some stories!

We had the occasional dogs but my dad was a terrible driver and after getting thrown off someones porch he got our car stuck in this persons ditch. Another time he took out someones fence. Talk about embarrassing!!!!!!!!

• jukief
    jukief

I had two very bad experiences, both of which happened when I was a child (9 to 10 years old). In the first, I was working door-to-door with another little girl my age, and someone shot at us. I felt the bullet (or pellet or whatever it was) whiz past my face. I never found out what kind of gun it was (it might have just been a pellet gun), but it was really frightening. In the second, my family and a couple of other cargroups were working unassigned territory. I was with an elderly brother. The householder, a huge man, was really furious about us coming onto his property. He started yelling at us as soon as he opened the door. The brother was very calm and said we would leave, but as we turned to walk down the five or six steps from the porch to the sidewalk, the householder kicked him and sent him rolling down the stairs. Then he threatened us and told us that if we went to any other houses in town, he was going to come after us. I remember that we went to the sheriff's office and filed a complaint, but I don't know what happened afterward. Needless to say, I really disliked service. By the time I was in my early 20s, I stopped going, even though I was an "active" Witness for another 10 years.

• skyking
    skyking

Me and another brother was asked in to a house. We went into the house, he householder grabbed a gun and said he put his gun gun by the door to kill the next JW. He then smiled and said, "I like you two, you seam different from the others that have called here". We talked to him for awhile talking about his work... but did not Witness to him and left. We put him on the do not call list.

I was attacked by a dog twice and I had to kill them. Yes it true I have killed two different dogs while out in the service. It has always seamed odd to me why people are so afraid of dogs. Dogs are very easy to kill even big one. The only dogs I can not kill fast is a bit bull, and those great big ones like St. Bernard's. I was known as the dog killer in the local congregation and always asked to call on the houses with dog. Dog hardly ever acted mean too me, but would go ballistic if someone else went.

By the way I love dogs, and animals like me. I have found if a dog acts funny around some one and does not act that same way around other people, trust the dog he can sense something wrong with that person.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit