Your Most Hair-Raising Moments in Field Service

by The wanderer 38 Replies latest jw friends

• dido
    dido

When i was on a so-called holiday in Texas, i stayed with a zealous pioneering dominating sister, and she had me out on f/s. Up at the crack of dawn, and at 7 o clock we had to be out (some holiday)! Anyway, we worked in territory which i didn`t know until after, that there were gun toting gangs on the street corners. there were a lot of drive by shootings etc., in the area as well, it was Austin in Texas, also San Antonio. We were working the doors, and i was oblivious to these `kids` as i thought they were, but the sister i was with said casually, `oh, they leave us alone, they know we are witnesses!` I thought, `great` now she tells me!` Was a bit scared, but still carried on and lots of people on the doors `loved `my quaint accent, thanks goodness!

• aarque
    aarque

The time an idiot brother sent me (I was about 12 at the time) and another young sister (she was in her teens) into a rooming house full of men. We knocked on a few doors and then left because we were scared. He asked us if went to every door and we said yes.

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

Had a shotgun pointed at my son and I. Had the cops called out a couple of times in a "call ahead" territory. Had some kids spit on me from a second story porch while calling out, "Hey baldy!", but can't call that "hair raising" cause none grew. Had my ex push me aside because a women came to the door in a "see thru". Got chased out of an apartment building by a beer belly in dirty boxers. Saw a young sister get bit by a dog that was siged (sp?) on her. Had a pioneer brother tell me he was pushed down the steps by some householder. Went to houses that were shot up the night before.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Dogs. Huge, angry dogs.

Me too, even when I had one of my young children with me, the householder would call a dog on me and order me off the property, with the dog or dogs barking angrily and not letting me off a porch. Very scary.

• juni
    juni

Yep had the dogs siced on me and my kids. Slammed doors to the point I thought the glass would break, an old coot poked me in the chest and swore at me, a younger, odd pioneer brother was deathly afraid of bees. We were together on the porch and I was speaking and he started jumping around swatting at the bee w/his book bag and hit me in the head. God I could have shoved him off the porch I was so mad.

Otherwise just your ordinary verbal abuse. No spitting, but some would get so excited at you for being on their porch that the spit would fly from their mouth. Uckers.

I know there were a lot more as you never knew what was lurking behind the door.

Juni

• gymbob
    gymbob

Blueblades~

Hey I got chased a few blocks by a mob of crazy jews back when I was at Brooklyn too!

It was in 1978 or 79, we were doing a special tract work, but it sounds like the same time you had. It was written about in 'Watching the World'. Some in my old cong. in Brooklyn Bensonhurst got beat-up pretty bad, and a couple of cars were overturned, but I made it back to bethel safely. Oh yea...fun times....I miss those days like I miss having a heart attack.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

When I was really young, maybe 5 or 6, a householder called us parasites and said how we had been leeching off his elderly mother for years and said he would break our legs if he ever came back. I don't remember the rest of the incident but it was emotionally vivid enough that I remember that part.

I also had my book bag bitten by a dog before. My father always taught me how to deal with dogs even when I was little though so I came out of it okay. Mostly I would get freaked out about large nests of spiders along walls, hedges, fences, gates and porches.

• becca1
    becca1

I once did evening witnessing when I was around 18. A very dark skinned black man came out of the dark form behind his house. I felt he had been standing there for a while. I left magazines and a hand bill inviting him to the meetings. He showed up at the next meeting! He was very wierd and spoke strangely, using very flowery speach. He came to the next two meetings. After each meeting he would single me out and try to talk to me. I did my best to get away quickly. I mentioned this to a girl from school that lived in his neighborhood. She told me he was a Peeping Tom and that she had walked past his car once in a Kmart parking lot and he was sitting in the car playing with himself. At the next meeting he handed me a folded piece of paper. He had written me a love poem! I stood in the middle of the KH and just sobbed, loudly. I could not control myself. The man hurried out of the hall. My Dad came over and I told him what had happend, including what the girl had told me. My Dad was ticked off that I had stumbled that man!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Don't u know it's all in the name of persecution!! Just joking!!

I'm glad you guys weren't hurt badly. I remember lots of dogs, half-dressed people, and alot of angry people for being woke up.

Since our area was in a rather small community, I really hated it when I'd have to go to a door that I went to school with. Alot of times my friend and I would do the "it looks like a knock, but isn't one" knock. Oops, no one home!!

• parakeet
    parakeet

becca1: "She told me he was a Peeping Tom and that she had walked past his car once in a Kmart parking lot and he was sitting in the car playing with himself."

What are JW parents thinking, exposing their children to the public this way? My mother and other adult JWs had no qualms sending me, a young teenage girl at the time, into large apartment buildings completely alone during fs. They seem to think there are no such things in this world as stalkers, molesters, rapists, and murderers.

Outrageous, arrogant, irresponsible behavior. What a horrible thing to endure, becca.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit