How old did you expect to be when the New System would come?

by JH 39 Replies latest jw friends

• dobbie
    dobbie

I was about 20 when i started studying and was always told it couldn't be more than ten yrs away but that was 14 yrs ago!Then one of them the other day (in intimadation mode) told me a gb member said in some talk recently that it wasn't a matter of years anymore, but SECONDS - funny, that was over a month ago now and we're still waiting!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Dead. I never thought I'd still be alive by the time it came.

• monkeyshine
    monkeyshine

I remember when I was a kid someone told me to stop cracking my knuckles because when I got older I would get arthritis. I said the system will not last that long and they agreed.

I also NEVER expected to get to High School when I was a kid. In my family it was understood as fact that I wouldn't.

So, to answer the question, I expected to be about 11 or 12 years old when the system ended. I'm 31 now.

• Woofer
    Woofer

My dad said the end would come before I graduated high school. I recall him telling how lucky I will be to witness the end of this system of things. Hmmm . . ..I've been out of school 16 years now!!!!!!!!!!!

• Balsam
    Balsam

Well I fully expected the end in 1975. I would have been 25 then and it came and went. Then I fully expected it and knew I could not get older than 45 before the end would come. That came and went in 1995. I felt then it was a waste of time to expect it at all as I saw the old one who had expected it right up until they died of old age. I knew I would end up the same way. Then finally I got out.

Ruth

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Well, actually Armageddon did come in 1975. It just wasn't quite as bad as I expected it to be! I was 31 when it came.

Outaservice

Hey, why ain't I getting younger now?cc

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Monkeyshine:

I also NEVER expected to get to High School when I was a kid. In my family it was understood as fact that I wouldn't.

Same for me. Mom said, "you'll never make it to middle school', "you'll never make it to high school", "you'll never get your driver's license", "you'll never graduate high school"... funny she doesn't say stuff like that anymore. I'm 25. The end was supposed to come about 15 years ago.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I expected it no more than 2 or 3 years ago at the very latest. But I stopped expecting a year or three before that.

• deeskis
    deeskis

Born in 1960 I was going to slide down a giraffes neck in the new system. When all the 75 hype started I realised that at 15 I would be a bit big for the giraffe, but still bought it. I had some doubts at the beginning of '75 but swallowed them. By the end of that year I was pretty disallusioned but my parents "still toed the party line". I got out in 81 aged 21, couldn't do it anymore.

• garybuss
    garybuss

My parents and the Witness people told me I'd never start high school in 1958. I was sure I wouldn't make it. God was gonna murder me at Armageddon. The Witness' good news was my death sentence. I lived my whole childhood and young adult life with an overlaying feeling of impending doom.

I think after a while that get's hard wired.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit