1914 ,the Generation that got tossed in the Garbage Can

by OUTLAW 97 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Genesis
    Genesis

LoL there is even a crook in the 1914 picture ! The guy at the upper left looks like hes 45 ! If that guy saw 1914 call me Charles Russel...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Post 1995 - the "generation " refers to individuals around at the time of christ's presence. These individuals being independant of 1914 or any other date. The end of the system of things is therefore no longer dependant on 1914.

the term "generation" as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics. -WT 11/1/95 p.17

What this means is, the WT will later tell us what the historic period is, but it is the modern generation starting "around 1914" and continuing until people have different characteristics. Since this is "the time of the end," they will say that this generation continues until the end, WHENEVER THAT IS. All people are experiencing the common characteristics of people living faint out of fear and fulfilling all the stuff at 2Tim 3:1-5. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I never believed it, only thought my understanding might clear up if I continued to listen to the FDSGoverning Body.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Post 1995: This Generation = People contemporary with the sign who take no note

Pass Away = Destruction by God at Armageddon

All these things = The entire sign including Armageddon

Put this all together and you get something like this:

"Those contemporary with the sign who take no note will not be detroyed by God at Armageddon until the entire sign is fulfilled and Armageddon occurs."

......The JW's have reduced the statement to a semantic nil while at the same time, patting themselves on the back for their "Clearer understanding."

Sheer genius, I will use this reasoning. Thanks, TD

• AlanF
    AlanF

The 1995 change to the "generation of 1914" doctrine was one that I and a number of other JW critics anticipated with much enthusiasm. At the summer district conventions in 1993, two talks were given that radically changed some long-held teachings about things described in Matthew 24 & 25, and related passages in Mark and Luke. The "separating of the sheep and the goats" was now in the future, rather than something that current JWs were participating in. These changes were repeated in a February 1994 Watchtower. It was immediately clear to me that many more changes were in the works, because the 1993 talks left a lot of loose ends. This was discussed by JW critics on varous online forums.

In November 1993, a JW family member arranged for me to call GB member Albert Schroeder on the phone one Sunday afternoon. We spent about 2 1/2 hours on the phone. One thing I mentioned to him was that it was evident that the Society had more changes to make with respect to the summer assembly talks, and he confirmed that. He wouldn't tell me what was in the works, though. I suspect there was a lot of wrangling about what changes should be made and how it should be handled. I had the impression that these changes would be only a few months away, but more than two years passed from the delivery of those initial talks to the big change in late 1995.

I remember telling online JWs that more changes were in the works regarding this stuff. Most refused to accept it. After the change was made, one JW quit and wondered how us critics had known about the coming changes. But they simply hadn't paid attention to what we had said for two years previous.

One funny thing happened shortly after the Watchtower article about the change came out. Someone pointed out that the masthead of Awake! no longer reflected JW doctrine, and would have to be changed pretty soon. It was pretty clear that the left hand did not know what the right hand was doing in Bethel. Some online JWs pooh-poohed all this and said that the Awake! masthead was fine as it was. But within a few months it was changed. We had a lot of laughs about that. And of course, more JWs quit, again wondering why the critics seemed much more in tune with the Society's doings than they themselves were.

AlanF

• heathen
    heathen

Let me see if I got this right as taught by the WTBTS - The generation of 1914 was comprised of the "anointed" that they believe would not have to die a violent death but are the ones that the apostle Paul wrote about as being changed at the seventh trumpet blast . Now they are saying that a generation cannot be applied or is undefined and can be any group after that date ? I remember one of the reasons I went back to study in the early 90's was because I believed the entire generation of 1914 was on the brink of extinction and that is what that scripture is saying that the generation does not pass away until all those things take place , it's not saying they survive but they do pass away at some point . Then they aptly "corrected" me with the generation survives into the millenial reign dogma but then ta-da we now have another load to wade thru. Unbelievable what the WTBTS expects out of the R&F as far as changing dogma is concerned .

• freefly
    freefly

Hey...

I have a photocopy hanging on my office wall framed....(International Blible Students Ass'n -1920)

an advert to buy the book: "Millions Now Living Will Never Die!" You may be one of them!

Do these things appeal to you? Unending human life; perpetual health; lasting and satisfying polital adjustments; no more fear of the landloard, the doctor the sheriff, the employer, of evil men and angels, of vicious animals, of dependent old age, no more blindness, lameness, deafness, dumbness, no more bald heads, glass eyes, false teeth, or wooden legs, no more sickness, disease, no more ignorance or superstition, no more sorrow, no more fears!

Now available as a neatly bound booklet at 25 cents a copy!!

I take it that people actually fell for this concept (1920 and right thru to 1995)

I get a huge chuckle from it.

Unfortunately my ex-partner of 26 yrs. is ready to be baptised JW -(started his bible studies after 9-11) and I still cannot begin to understand how anyone could come close to any of the JW concept...??????? All I can come up with is it is an escape- from his fear (false evidence appearing real) and this concept appeals to him.

----lock yourself up tight in a box caged in steel -forget you have reasoning ability- do not dare reason or think for yourself or question anything- stay in your box whatever you do----

I have invited the JW's at my door inside to ask them some questions as I understand they want to be your friend, share what they feel about this world with you, and answer your questions. I made it perfectly clear I was not interested in a bible study, just had questions like any normal people would. My questions were about "God's organization" and it's history as I was studying early christianity. I was told that nobody studies history first ...if I gave them 6 months to study the bible with them, all my questions would be answered........and... they could only answer questions about the bible. When I proceeded to show them my search list of every place "organizations" were mentioned in the bible----I was told my list was apostate.

freefly

• VM44
    VM44

Genesis,

Upper left? or do you mean "right"?

I thought the same thing and mentioned it in another thread here at JWD.

A poster who had served many years at Bethel provided the name of the individual in the upper right portion of the picture.

Now I have to search for that thread!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Found it. Here is the reply that fjtoth gave to my question. --VM44

---------

VM44,

On the "1914 Generation" Watchtower cover, who is the man in the upper right hand corner?

That's John Errichetti. He was a missionary in Alaska who got called to Brooklyn due to health problems, I believe.

Frank

---------

I went to the Social Security Death Index and found the following info:

JOHN ERRICHETTI

Born: 18 Oct 1912

Died: 21 Sep 1997 (V)

Last Residence: 12563 (Patterson, Putnam, NY)

So he was the young age of two in 1914 and hence qualifies to be considered a member of the "1914 Generation".

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

It is a sad thing to say, but all the people on the cover of that 1984 issue of the Watchtower are probably gone by now.

--VM44

• freetosee
    freetosee

Hi Outlaw,

I was already inactive when they made that change. When the 95 WT came out and was studied at the KH, I was told by my younger sister, that the atmosphere was very strange as never before and the conductor quickly covered the paragraph that blamed "Jehovah’s people" for being impatient, not adhering to scriptural counsel, speculating about when the great tribulation will break out. My sister never told me until some months later, because she thought I would be upset and never go back to the meetings.

Well actually, I would have loved to be there. That would be a WT study I would never miss. I would have put up my hand with a big smile, fully aware the conductor would never call on me. My sister did not know how far my independent thinking had already reached, since I did not talk to them about my conclusions.

Though disappointed about not being informed about the change, I was happy about the opportunity that the WT gave me to share my thought with my sister without fear the "Danger Apostate!" Wall would go up. That change did my sister.( to WTBTS!)

fts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit