How much influence did the internet have on you leaving the organization?

by The wanderer 64 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Was it right to teach it? No, of course not. Were Russell, Storrs, and Seiss worse than anyone else for doing it? Probably they were no more nonsensical than most. Should the Watch Tower have abandoned it sooner? Certainly. Only the worship of Russell kept it alive.

Yes. They were worse than many others. The teaching they espoused was not set in the context of speculation but of certainty. They got people to change their whole lives to accomodate the "prophecy" of Russell.

And you named the beast correctly when you identified worship of Russell. You see, it is pretty simple, if they were worshipping Russell then they were never chosen by Jesus. Therefore, they are not the true religion in need of correction, they are and always have been a false religion. Built on creature worship, just as you correctly stated, not on worship of Jesus and the Father. According to your own words, these conclusions are easily reached. No great leaps involved. Not even strident steps. Just planting one foot directly in front of the other gets you there within a span of ... ONE STEP.

Have you taken that step yet?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• bem
    bem

The internet had no influence what-so-ever in my decision to leave.I didn't have access to the internet when I was "in". I have found out a lot of information concerning the wts since leaving that certainly would of made me want to leave.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I had checked out emotionally, then physically several months prior to doing any investigation on the internet about JWs. The internet simply gave me the facts to back up my intuition about JWs. Learning about some of the odd stuff like Beth Sarim & Beth Shan, the many failed predictions, reading literature that pointed to 1975 as God's Judgement Day, and doctrinal flip flops gave me what I wanted to know. Then reading about shunning, blood and child abuse victims hardened my heart regarding the JWs. Then learning about Watchtower's formal relationship with the UN was the final proof I needed to know I made the right choice.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

I had my doubts in the early 1990's, and I know the internet was there, but it wasn't anything like it is today. Also, some had quit the WT in the 1970's and 80's, but not that many. Now if you take how many have left, along with all the information on the internet, especially all of the BOE letters and other documents, it is so easy to see the WT's nonsense from day ONE.

I had an extensive library, even having the Studies in the Scriptures by Russell that I got at a flea market in PA Dutch country 20 years ago. But I didn't have access to the WT and Awake (and it's earlier names) from 1890 to 1950, so much of the nonsense was unknown to most, including me. After the aluminum cookware, reading bumps on Russell's head, vaccinations, Rutherford's being a drunk, the hatred he held toward the world, 1925, blah, blah and so forth, I wondered why I hadn't checked all this first. But again, it just wasn't easy to find.

You get love-bombed when you show up. My family was disfunctional. I was looking for the meaning of life. I also went to the first meeting to please an old friend who became a JW. I met a woman that first night and our eyes locked. We got marrried that year.

It's hard to check on all the negative stuff when a few dozen people have you over for dinner every night for a year, you meet and start dating your future wife, everyone was my age, etc. This was in 1977. Even though the 1975 had failed, everyone seemed to think that we might be off a few years, so what?

I also remember, and Ray Franz mentioned this in his book, the 1970's were more mellow and tolerant. Half of ever hall I ever visited was the age of late 20's, early 30's. So I had an instant family, but one that was my generation. (OOPS, NAUGHTY WORD. OH MY GOD, I'M GOING TO DIE! ARRGGgghhhh........)

Sorry, I made it back. (No light at the end of the tunnel with Jesus calling me.) Anyway, we played softball after each Sunday meeting, had picnics on Saturday afternoons, and other things. It's pretty hard not to be impressed with 200 people all getting along and acting like they've known each other for 40 years and are all related.

Again, I now know I joined for psychological reasons. If my wife, whom I married in 1977, had quit 3 years later, I might have as well. When things got tougher in the 1980's, especially 1983, it wasn't fun anymore to be a JW. Of course, that's no reason to choose this religion, but they just "felt right". I never thought to see if they "were right". Now I have and I know the real truth. My best to all.

• Badger
    Badger

It was instrumental. I was fading and didn't know it, but once I saw what others had gone through on this board, I knew it was right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit