How much influence did the internet have on you leaving the organization?

by The wanderer 64 Replies latest jw friends

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Hmm, how to quantify influence.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I left in 83. I wasnt aware of the innernet. I did have a radio shack dos comptuer in the 80s though. 1975 and various books I found in book stores. One clasic I think it was called 30 years as a Watertower slave.

• becca1
    becca1

I've had doubts all my life about many things, large and small. But the UN issue, which I learned on the internet, was the final nail in the cofin. I have not been in field service since I learned of it.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    How much influence did the Internet have on you leaving the organization?

Absolutely none.

When I left the JWs in 1985 I had never even owned a computer (yes I feel ancient some days)

But it was extremely instrumental in getting the WT out of me. I still believed even though I had been out for 10 years.

Once I started researching the WTS and its beliefs and practices my world view changed drastically

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I didn't just stumble across something, I searched for it with a purpose after I was told by a close friend that JWs were a cult. I use the internet as a reference resource all the time and figured that search would be pretty innocent.

But I could see pretty much right away most of the information I came across came from people who seemed genuinely caring, and who had been through some of my experiences, and once I saw that, I was pretty much hooked.

I stayed away from chat rooms for a long time at first, but I have learned so much from this another chat rooms, it's unreal.

• TMS
    TMS

We cautiously bought a WebTV in '96. Back then my main interest was "retiring in Mexico", but eventually I searched Dogpile for everything Jehovah. One chapter of CofC was available online. My W&A volumes dating '56 to '94 went immedialtely into a dumpster. Up until that moment they were my "first out of fire" possessions.

In time I started cautiously posting on a JW website. I forget the name of the site, but LDH was there and others. Many of the posters there were extremely articulate. When that site closed, I eventually found JWD. The postings on JWD sealed the deal.

tms

• sspo
    sspo

If it wasn't for the internet there would be no way to research the history of JW.
    It helped me to realize that it is definetely not the truth but another interpretation of the bible
  • free2beme
    free2beme

When I left the Witnesses, the internet was still a growing industry that was mainly connected too, with AOL. I had looked at some sites, but did not take much interest until after I left and wanted to see what the world of former Witnesses looked like.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I was out long before the internet but it has helped me since and I have met lots of people that it has help escape from the Watchtower.

• Arthur
    Arthur

Very little. Without the internet, I would have left the organization through suicide. The internet opened up the resources and information that gave me hope, and showed me that such a drastic action was not necessary. So, the internet did not necessarily get me out of the organization, but rather, it saved my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit