If the UN dissolves...will the WTS recover?

by AuldSoul 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Arthur,

Some of it perhaps, but I am not a believer in Biblical inerrancy.

That's okay, my friend. "Inspired" only came to carry the connotation of "inerrant" after the Second Century Christians (and later) started to apply it that way. When the current canons (because there are more canons than one) were completed, the early church sought to lend them creidibility by applying 2 Timothy 3:16 to their newly chosen canon. The fact remains that, logically, the writer of 2 Timothy did not consider his own writings to be canonical or inspired. That is true whether or not one believes that "inspired" equates to "inerrant".

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• TopHat
    TopHat

It would be time for some " Very bright new light to shine forth from God's spirit directed organzation"

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I'm still waiting to hear Fish's response.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

And to have a 3rd person answer his question...Yes, I believe in God and I believe that there is much we can learn from the bible, but that there is also much we can learn from other religious writings as well.

• Arthur
    Arthur

fish wrote:

Before I answer your question in response to my question, may I ask you another question?

As an exJW, do you still believe in God, and if yes do you believe the bible is his inspired word?

Okay fish. Quid pro quo. Not only did I directly answer your question; but three of us here answered your question. Now, please kindly answer the question I posed to you earlier.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Still waiting for someone to comment on the translation "springs from" at Revelation 17:11

I think this is a real problem for the Watchtower's belief that the eighth king is the UN

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Dragging back to a completely different subject, Arthur wrote:

So, doctrine is important to the organization, but unquestioning loyalty is really how they hold people. To me, the folks most likely to leave are ones who really understand the doctrine.
    For the rest, they're happy not understanding everything but they're not willing to make too many sacrifices. Its a tightrope and eventually, they're going to fall off.

These are very good points. I have noticed throughout my years in the org, that many of the most ardent defenders and apologists for the org are those who really don't understand the deeper doctrines very well; and have no idea how such doctrines were formulated. I fell into this camp. When I actually began to do in depth research into various doctrines (Faithful Slave, etc.) I began to see through the smoke screens.

Most Witnesses are happy to let someone else do the hard work of thinking for them. Despite it's handicapping effect; it affords a certain level of comfort for people who need to have their reality sliced and diced into nice, neat, little symmetrical categories.

This is SO TRUE. I, myself, fit in like you did with the ignorant, then became un-ignorant, but notice that most want to remain ignorant.

When I try to discuss (serious) deep doctrine with the average JW (in a non-apostate) way, they get that deer-in-the-headlights look.

There are many who follow doctrine, accept current understanding, and will have problems with change, but there are many who will

read the WT article and say "Okay, whatever." But the point was made that only so much of these bumps in the road can be tolerated.

They may eventually only have the blind-faith followers at the meetings, then meetings will get more robotic and nobody will want to go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit