Say You're a Bethelite & Monitoring JWD - How Would You Feel About THESE??

by Seeker4 356 Replies latest jw friends

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hi ZARCO.

I read all of your posts and those of others on this subject. I must say that I admire you and the few other elders who really do want to help the jw's in their congregation.

My term as an elder was short. It took little time to realize that I could not behave and take actions against other jw's with the enjoyment I saw in other elders. While you are one of a small percent of elders that actually have love for their fellow man, most of them that I knew did not.

I sincerely hope that you and the other elders that were on this forum for the first time, will continue to at least read this forum and gain the knowledge that is available here.

I also advise that you will be carrying a very heavy load if you feel responsible for the well being of the rank and file publisher and their problems and needs.

Especially as you have to deal with leaders that do not share your personality and caring for others,

Add that to the strain of dealing with family members that do not share your feelings and the frustration, this is going to cause a heavy load on your mental abilities (cognitive dissonance).

Within the family move slowly, as it will take time for them to adopt to a change in your beliefs. It would be a shame to see as good a man as you having to suffer from doing the right thing. Helping his fellow man.

Be cautious and take your time, especially with family.

Outoftheorg

• AlanF
    AlanF

Zarco wrote:

:: This is a very bad example. A growing number of physicists put little stock in string theory, . . .

: But this wasn't such a bad example 5 to 8 years ago. It was the a supported explaination of truth.

Not at all. What it was, was a mathematical theory that many physicists set forth as their best guess at "an explanation of everything", as cosmological theories are sometimes termed. I have no doubt that, if pressed, physicists who strongly argued that their string theories were really the 'correct' "explanation of everything would agree that Gould's comments about scientific theories are correct, and that if they had pressed their case too strongly, they were wrong.

What you're doing here is what I did when I was still a JW: you're not truly understanding science and the way science is viewed by its practitioners. I refer you once again to Gould's comments. It took me awhile to see this, andI saw it only after my JW blinders were fully off.

: If we are going to examine the organization by what they said and what is true, shouldn't we examine science using the same standards?

You're again confusing two completely different things. String theory, as with all such theories that attempt to generalize and make sense of a huge number of facts -- observations -- have only the force that comes from how well they do indeed make sense of the facts. New theories are put to the test, and if they stand the test of time, usually over a period measured in decades if not centuries, they become accepted as correct -- correct enough that only a fool would disagree. What was once a "theory" that the earth revolves around the sun and not vice versa is one of those. Parts of the theory of evolution have stood such a test of time, even though other parts are still quite a ways off from hitting that mark for a number of reasons. Theories of physics that attempt to describe matter and energy at a deep level, for the most part, are not yet there, because it's still a young science, historically speaking. In any case, such science is arrived at by consensus by many scientists over a long period of time. Anyone is free to question the conclusions and, if he thinks he can present a good enough case, present it to the scientific community through normal channels and let the normal process of doing science take its course.

The JW organization is rather a different kettle of fish. It has no use for consensus. It dictates everything "theocratically", from the top down. No rank & file JW is allowed to present his views to the community of JWs to arrive at a consensus. Indeed, such a presentation is automatically viewed as a challenge to the authority of the Governing Body -- as rank apostasy. Questioning JW leaders is questioning God.

So, I agree with you that all claims to "truth" should subject to critical analysis. But I think you've not really understood that such questioning is welcomed in the scientific community but rejected as apostasy in the JW community.

Now, as for your apparently stopping posting on this forum, you probably should take a break. You've been hit with a lot of stuff in a short time by a lot of people with diverse opinions. Sitting back and taking stock is a good thing, since you certainly shouldn't go off half cocked and make snap decisions.

But I'll tell you this: From your comments, it's apparent that you're basically a decent guy who is concerned with pleasing his God and doing right by his fellow man. But you know that this is not true of a good many people in the JW organization, and that this has been the case for a very long time. So you know very well that it's not terribly likely that the JW organization is "God's organization", or that it has an exclusive lock on 'religious truth'. No matter your desire that reform take place, this will continue to eat you up until something breaks and you take positive steps, or your spirit is broken and you just go about the business of life with your head down. I suspect the former will happen with you. I know certain people who've taken the latter course, and it's not a pretty sight.

Whatever happens with you, in the near future this board and its fine members will be around for support. And because the community of astute ex-JWs is growing rapidly, largely due to the Internet, there will always be supportive people you can enlist as sounding boards.

AlanF

• TD
    TD

Zarco,

If fractions are allowed, if HBOC is allowed and in the US witnesses in good standing have used platelets gels (platelets are a component of blood) to stimulate healing - there really isn't a blood issue anymore. In time the only remaining restriction will be ingesting whole blood. I realize that if you asked this question a few years ago I could have been painted into a corner, but in practice this issue is dieing a quick death.

I wish that were true, but I don't believe it is yet. By some strange and inexplicable logic, whole plasma continues to be forbidden. And there are a number of medical uses for whole plasma --Catastrophic blood loss, various forms of liver deficiency, atypical bleeding disorders for which no factor specific concentrate is available, etc. This alone is a rather large corner.

Whole platelets are also forbidden. Acute platelet loss is still one of the nasty side effects of chemotherapy, the number of drugs known to induce thrombocytopenia grows by the year, and the administration of platelets continues to be an important part of radical procedures like bone marrow transplant. .

I agree that in time, the only remaining restriction will be upon "Taking in" whole blood, but we're not there yet.

• JWFreak
    JWFreak

Zarco you and I are in the same boat, believe me that I fully understand how you feel right now.

Stick in the boat with me for a little while longer....and lets see where it leaves us.

PM me if want

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

To Zarco.. I can remember how hard It was when I had severe doubts, I even knew in my heart that it was not true , but for family reasons I felt that I had to keep up the pretense of being an elder. I felt a hypocrite. I laid the grounds for a way out that was eventually not unexpected - I guess you will do the same. Hang in there, We have been there ourselves..

To TD . I do not agree that the Society is moving toward a ban only on whole blood, or making this a totally conscience issue , as some claim. Check this quote.

"As long as the HBOC is derived from blood there are two objections that may be raised . One, the HBOC carries out the key function of a primary component of blood, the red cells. Two hemoglobin, from which the HBOC is derived makes up a significant proportion of that component. Regarding this and similar products, then, Christians face a very serious decision. They must carefully and prayerfully meditate on Bible principles concerning the sacredness of blood. With a keen desire to maintain a good relationship with Jehovah, each must be guided by his Bible-trained conscience."

Awake. August 2006 "What Are Hemoglobin Based Oxygen Carriers"

I see them saying, 'thus far and no further'

• My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW
    My MILs worst nightmare, a nonJW

Zarco,
    I am my mother in laws worst nightmare. She a lifelong witness at 73, and myself a nonJW married to her 3rd generation daughter. The honest, thought provoking responses from you and other elders on this forum are appreciated

If you are truly progressive, then should you walk away from this opportunity to soften hearts and minds through an honest and open dialogue?

The honest exchange of ideas and experiences in this forum is what is most important. Everyone in this forum is or was touched by the JW?s in one way or another and in a lot of cases did their own share of goosestepping. Just because someone lashes out at you because you are a current elder is no reason to take it personally. That person may not have had the kahoneys to stand up to an elder who may have crossed them, or may just need more time to come to grips with the fact that they put themselves in that position to begin with, by allowing the WTS that power over them. Ouch! (Self-examination and taking responsibility for ones own actions is brutal). You represent only yourself, an anonymous elder. See the personal attacks for what they are. Let them roll off your back.
    Keep posting!

• Gill
    Gill

Zarco - The point I was making to you, was not that you should stop posting, but now you know the Truth about the 'Troof', you know! You can't go back. That is NOT a bad thing. Can you go back and pretend you don't know? I doubt it!

Welcome to freedom! Don't run from it! You may help more people than you can imagine. Now that you have that knowledge there IS NO GOING back.

Welcome!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

"Now that you have that knowledge there IS NO GOING back."

I think that is going to be true for our new friends. Let's give them a place to come back to.

S4

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I hope LL puts this thread in "the best of" area for lurkers to see in the future and so it won't get lost in the shuffel. I still haven't finished reading all the posts in it, it will take me awhile having to constantly stop and come back to it.

Great thread S4 thanks.

• sf
    sf
    , the fact that the blood issue has been allowed to die {no pun was intended here, I'm sure} a quiet death with no attending publicitydoes not exonerate the WTS from bloodguilt. They knew this was quackery but they defended itwhile at the same time feverishly working behind the scenes to create one exception after another until the original policy was unrecognizable.

Bingo x3!

My question in regards to reformists is:

How then does the WTBTS compensate for all the dead members?

H O W ? ? ? ? If they do at all???

How incredible...Change a policy that was insanely radical to begin with and then just conveniently dismiss all those who were loyal to the insanity of it all and payed with their lives.

NOTICE TO THE WATCHTOWER:

YOU CAN'T HIDE AWAY {wash} BLOOD STAINS THAT ARE DEEPLY ENCRUSTED ON YOUR FEEBLE HANDS. LOOK!! DO YOU SEE IT DRIPPING?! I'LL BET YOU EVEN SEE THE POOL AROUND YOU. I HOPE YOU SEE BLOOD IN YOUR DREAMS BROTHERS.

sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit