Say You're a Bethelite & Monitoring JWD - How Would You Feel About THESE??

by Seeker4 356 Replies latest jw friends

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Auld-Soul

Thanks for that. I have little doubt that you are right.

As a never was JW, etc., whose academic knowledge falls far short of that of many posters here, I don't often have much to contribute. But in this area, I do feel that I can bring long and fairly senior professional experience to bear.

More than that, I have personal experience. My own daughter was raped a few years ago when she was 17. It was not an 'unknown suspect' type of thing. I was in command of the area, and thus (in theory) of the investigation at the time. After a very very brief conversation with her I suspended myself from duty while the investigation took place and ensured that neither I nor my wife discussed any details with her pending prosecution.

Unfortunately, the prosecuting authorities decided not to prosecute the offenders for this rape nor the number of others that were discovered during the investigation.

BUT, had they done so I and she would have been devastated if the offenders had gone free because of my actions. Professionals - and that includes anyone involved with victims in a professional or organisational way, including WTBTS, or even ESPECIALLY WTBTS because of the level of control they exert over their members - need to know about this, and are IMHO especially and particularly culpable if they get it wrong.

• jgnat
    jgnat

What a delightful thread. I had assumed, wrongly, that it had flamed, having gone on so long. Bravo, seeker4, for giving a forum for our new ones. opr83, I appreciate your frank comments.

Should we attempt to guide others at all? If not, what's the meaning of "go therefore and make desciples, teaching them...."? Where do I personally go with that? I cannot be presumpteous enough to believe that I have all the right answers (even though those that know me think that I believe that, right Peg?) It is a very, very confusing and complicated issue, this "religion" thing. God had the scriptures written for a purpose.

Perhaps the answer can be found in the way we approach the scriptures. I've spent some time clarifying my thoughts, through editing my own words down to their core. I've become quite adept at cutting through to the essence of what is said. Apply this technique to a paragraph of the scriptures, say, and the meaning becomes brilliantly clear. Apply this to the Watchtower writings by comparison, and it becomes obvious that the intent is to obfuscate, not illustrate.

What is the essence of the gospel message? Jesus told us. The litmus test of love must be used against any application of bible instruction. If the litmust test fails, then our interpretation is false or inappropriately applied.

I think the Watchtower society has made a mess of the rules, has made them endlessly confusing and complicated, to keep people coming back. They've created a dependency on their materials, thereby make themselves indespensable. In the public talks and literature, they warn people that "apostates" will spin confusing webs of words to try and unbalance believers. I've heard it described as a merry-go-round. The closer you are to the edge, the more dizzy you become. "Cling to us" the Watchtower claims, "When you feel dizzy and confused". In truth, it's the other way around. The Watchtower society are the ultimate spin doctors.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Pope:If we don't have freedom to discuss our heart's and mind's feelings, we don't have anything.

I just wanted to post that again

confusa:I wonder alot of times if this is a test.
    We were programmed to always feel that way when ever doubting anything being taught by the wts. Under Satan?s influence, I wish I had a penny for every time I heard that after questioning something.

plm

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Joe, Auld & Big Tex,

A couple of thoughts about the child abuse issue. AuldSoul is exactly right. Although I have personally never handled a child abuse case (thank God because I'd probably cause serious harm to the molester and then I'd be the one in jail), here's the procedure:

1 - Call Legal. When you call, you do not know who you are talking to. I've called the service desk many times and after verifying my information, they still won't give you their name.

2 - They will give you advice over the phone but will put nothing in writing. See AuldSoul's posts for the reasons. They want to give the illusion that the local body comes up with stuff on their own when they have in writing that step 1 is to call Legal!! They'll just deny they ever spoke to the local elder.

3 - Armed with their "advice" you proceed. I'll get to Big Tex's excellent questions now:

1) Please name one scripture in the Bible in which Jehovah, one of his prophets, the Mosaic law, Jesus, or one of the apostles, dictates that a child abuse victim must present two eyewitnesses to prove their abuse. Just one scripture is all I ask. Realize I'm not talking about a dispute between brothers, I'm referring specifically to the assault and/or rape of an innocent child.

None that I'm aware of

) Why did Jehovah made very specific provision for a woman who was raped , working in the field and away from any eyewitnesses, and yet not make the same provision for a child? Jesus said that anyone who harmed a child would be better off having a millstone tied around their neck and thrown into the sea. Surely Jehovah, the One who sees all (even things hidden behind closed doors), and Jesus' Father and Creator, would know that children are not sexually abused in front of other adults who can bear witness. Why then did Jehovah give an adult woman, who does not have an eyewitness, a provision and understanding, but did not do the same for a defenseless and innocent child?

I never thought of that point. There is no difference in child molestation and rape. Its a different form of rape, but still rape. There is no defense for this point.

) Why do Jehovah's Witnesses not recognize the courts of law as a second witness? When one of Jehovah's Witnesses is convicted of child abuse, the elders will not disfellowship that one if the victim cannot present 2 eyewitnesses. If, however, the offender is tried in a court of law, and convicted, why is that conviction not considered a second witness?

I've asked this question as well. I know of some elders who think that the courts can act as a second witness but I've personally seen nothing or heard nothing from "official" channels that has changed the rule. One lame response I got from a CO was that since the courts were not EYEwitnesses, then they couldn't be counted as one of the two witnesses. When faced with that sort of logic, I changed the subject. Yeah, never mind that an innocent child has been harmed.

(4) In the "Flock" book, elders are instructed that they may accept the testimony of unbelievers. Please show me the scriptural basis whereby Jehovah puts conditions on the two witnesses to child abuse. Please also show the scripture whereby Jehovah gives his followers leeway to accept or deny testimony based on acceptance of Jehovah alone (i.e., whether a member of Israel or a Christian).

(5) In the "Flock" book, elders are instructed that they may accept the testimony of minor children. Please show me the scriptural basis whereby Jehovah puts conditions on the two witnesses to child abuse. Please also show the scripture whereby Jehvovah gives his followers leeway to accept or deny testimony based on age alone.

I know you already know the answers, but there is no defense for either statement.

6) Do you believe every single account of child abuse amongst Jehovah's Witnesses is false? If not, then do you believe one of Jehovah's Witnesses has molested a child? If you believe so, then please explain what Jehovah's Witnesses are doing, or have done, to correct these errors? Realize of course, that Jehovah again and again provided correction for the nation of Israel when that spirit inspired organization made errors. Therefore, what is the current spirit directed organization doing, or has done, to correct errors made regarding child abuse?

There are some that actually think that way. They haven't had a family member harmed yet, so they think that in a spiritual paradise, this can't happen. They're right, it can't happen in the stated definition of a spiritual paradise. That means either 1) all the cases are false or 2) there is no spiritual paradise.

I've tried to understand the reason for the crazy abuse policy. It's a little better now because at least they've instructed elders to not threaten abuse members with judicial action if they go to the police. Not saying that everyone listens to that nugget of common sense.As a matter of fact, if faced with such an issue, the first thing in my opinion is to instruct the person TO go to the police. That's another weakness of the current policy because it just says to tell the person they have that option. I honestly think that the people who originally wrote this policy have never had kids and probably don't even like kids. So, they automatically think that kids are making this stuff up when the reality is the exact opposite. I really believe if the lawyers had their way on this one, there would be automatic reporting (even in a nonreporting state). To me, that lessons the org's liability. I think its the GB that is blocking that for some reason.

If faced with this issue, I would more than likely be disfellowshiped. Because I would 1) tell the parents that the case will be reported and if they don't do it I will, and 2) out the person publically in front of the congregation so parents could keep their kids away.

• becca1
    becca1

I just want to second Joe's motion to bring forth any evidence of dealing inappropriatly with child abuse cases. This could be very valuable. The proper officials should be made aware so future mistakes can be avoided.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

PLM: Have you ever asked your mom if she has any input into what we read in the publications? Does she get a thought and write to the GB? Does she later see her thoughts expressed in print?

Hi becca, sorry I didn't respond sooner I have been trying to read this thread while getting other things done so it is taking me quite awhile to get through it.
    In answer to your Q, all I can say about that is what I have seen with my own eyes and it made a big impression on me a long time ago. I can tell you that she on many occasions expressed discontent with some teachings and yes she has written to the society only to be admonished for it.
    The district overseer came to our house and personally admonished her on one occasion, his name escapes me now but as soon as I remember it I?ll post it, if it won?t be inappropriate. Anyway?it became so heated at one point that he pointed at me and ordered me to go to my room. She came very close to being disfellowshipped for expressing her opinion. She still does but not out loud and picks carefully whom she confides with.
    I don?t understand her devotion other then it is all she knows and can?t give it up. She truly believes that Satan has interfered with their perception. How can Satan have any influence on or intercept direct communication from God? That would put them on the same level as Eve. Whatever.

The overseer that admonished her so rudely and told her he didn?t believe she was truly anointed and shouldn?t be partaking died some years later. I do remember seeing a slight hidden smirk on her face when she learned about it. Not that she was happy about it, but he was a true ass through and through and had a real holier then thou attitude.
    I don?t know if this is any help, I hope it is of some help.
    plm

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

plmkrzy,

Your mother's experience replicates what I have seen among the other anointed ones I've known. One brother really took his responsibility as a part of the FDS seriously, and would write to the Society about matters.
    All it got him was trouble. The whole FDS doctrine of the WTS is a farce, through and through.
    S4

• JWFreak
    JWFreak

AuldSoul

I can confirm that you are correct, regarding advice by telephone. Even though the advice came from someone very well known to me.

I am sure he would deny everything to protect himself.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

S4
    :The whole FDS doctrine of the WTS is a farce, through and through

I agree and it is truly sad.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

JW Freak,

1 Peter 2:21-22
    In fact, to this [course] YOU were called, because even Christ suffered for YOU, leaving YOU a model for YOU to follow his steps closely. He committed no sin, nor was deception found in his mouth.

If they do not follow him, are they his? Does he claim them? Will he fix them, ever, if they were never his to begin with?

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit