I'm so Naughty! I pretended to be a JW to get a sale.

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 41 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

Look at the bright side. They got a new car will probably get a few extra hours on their time card this month by counting time on you.

• pcecilia
    pcecilia

i apologize, i am not a regular on this board so i do not mean to come off as judgemental... i am just bringing this up as a point of debate...
    because they were witnesses, did you feel it was alright to deceive them? was the deception somehow part of contempt for the religion they still practice?
    did you not feel that you were somehow betraying your liberation from the religion by associating yourself (however briefly, and however untruthfully) with the religion again?
    again, it is not my intent to rustle feathers... just let me know if my questions are out of line... and if they are, i do apologize...

• Mulan
    Mulan

I did something similar to get a job about a year after we left the WTS. The boss and most of the employees were Mormons. (a scrapbook store) I didn't tell them I was a Mormon, but I knew the lingo, so used it. I got hired.

They found out shortly afterwards that I was an ex JW and tried to recruit me. I was so nice to those people, but things kind of went sour towards me, after they realized I wasn't interested in going to their church. I quit, and thought about filing discrimination charges. I was told by more than one employee that all the things I quit because of, had happened to me because I wasn't a Mormon and they were trying to make me quit.

It worked. If I had it to do over again, I would have played it differently and made them think I might go to their church when I had recovered more.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I've got this customer that everytime I visit his shop.... he's always studying his "what bible teach book" in spanish (I always hit this shop on breaktime).

This customer never buys anything from me, even though most others are buying stuff. I never would tell this guy I'm a Witness in order to get a sale.... There are more future negative repercussion than positive.

Of all the customers I have, NONE know I'm a JoHO

• I quit!
    I quit!
    i apologize, i am not a regular on this board so i do not mean to come off as judgemental... i am just bringing this up as a point of debate...
    because they were witnesses, did you feel it was alright to deceive them? was the deception somehow part of contempt for the religion they still practice?

Pcecilia, don't be too hard on him. I have found that many witness or x-witness make excellent sales people. Some of the technics they use to sell are technics they learn while going door to door or in the ministry school to get people to take the books or magazines.

• observador
    observador

Pioner, that's a great tactic. I love to learn this type of stuff. I wish a had the nerve to do same. :)

And, oh yes, the world is sooooo bad!!!

Observador.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

It's a great story, but don't you think these things come back to haunt you? I remember a "brother" from years ago who used to only hire JW's in his business (plumber). He was extremely hard to work for and everyone in the various congregations knew it. Well a down-on-his-luck plumber applied for the job and pretended to be a JW - how? He was dating a JW in a distant congregation so he thought he could fake it. He was hired by Brother Nasty Plumber and everything went well for a few months. Then fake plumber JW started smoking one day after a job and a customer complained about the butts in the yard. Brother Nasty Plumber then learned and promptly fired fake JW. Of course he was able to get another job; but why go through all the trouble? With the grapevine being the largest plant at the KH, I wouldn't fake anything if I worked or had any dealings with these folks.

• Gill
  • undercover
    undercover

I'm with pcecilia on this one...

Leaving aside the JW aspect of this story, you lied, pure and simple. You lied to make a sale. You ingratiated yourself to these people and then took advantage of them. And then bragged about it. Do us a favor and let us know where you work so we can avoid buying a car there.

By the way...Welcome pcecilia.

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

Agree with undercover and pcecilia also. But at least it goes with the stereotype of car salesmen being liers and not trustworthy. Its very rare for someone to go out and buy a car and enjoy the part where they actually have to deal with the salesman. It should not come as anything out of the ordinary that a car salesman lied to sell a car, that's what they usually do all the time anyways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit