Are "Apostates" jumping the gun with their info on the WT to make a case?

by booker-t 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I take some of the things Apostates say with a "grain of salt" because many times I think they embellish the truth to make the WT look bad to make their case. For example I have for years heard that the WT uses "Satanic" images in their artwork but I have yet to see any proof of these accusations

If you disagree with the person's conclusions who posted the 'Satanic Images in WT art' thread, then why didn't you post on that thread? Why are you throwing all ex-JW's in with this particular person?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Perhaps, but remember that this is a DISCUSSION board. Remember, when you were a JW, when you were not ALLOWED to DISCUSS things? Remember when you were not allowed to examine the evidence? Remember when you were not allowed to doubt, or ask questions, or Google for info to make up your own mind?

I remember. And I love this site. We were lied to before, we were told we had the (T)ruth... now we are allowed to search for it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Booker-T might do well to hold himself to the same high standards of intellectual rigor and honesty that he wants from Apostates. How about some concrete examples and well reasoned arguments instead of your vague accusations? You began well, but you sputtered to a halt before you arrived at the finish line.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass
    I have for years heard that the WT uses "Satanic" images in their artwork but I have yet to see any proof of these accusations.

I can't say I care about satanic artwork. I can do satanic artwork in my sleep.

I have heard that JW's no longer practice "Disfellowshipping" but my teenage niece was recently "Disfellowshipped".

You've heard wrong. 'Disfellowshipping' still happens, they just no longer use the word 'disfellowshipped' in the announcement; whether you're disfellowshipped or you disassociate, they say the same thing: 'Booker is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses'. My elders told me in my JC meeting last year 'we're going to have to disfellowship you', and then announced "Frass in no longer one of Jehovahs Witnesses'. Maybe it's because the word 'disfellowship' isn't in the bible, maybe it's because they're trying to avoid lawsuits, maybe they're having so many disassociate themselves that they don't want the rest to start thinking that maybe it's a good idea so they blur the line to make it look like they might just be a sinner, who knows, and who cares? The point is that either way, you lose all your friends and family, and for a while it hurts like hell.

I think Apostates become like crooked police officers that are trying to get rid of drug dealers and plant drugs in their cars just to get an arrest. Apostates seem to act the same way. I have been an ex-jws for many years and alot of the stuff Apostates come up with are true such as the UN scandal, Child Abuse in the congos and date setting by the WTS. But alot of stuff is just manufactured lies to prove their case against the WT. Tell the truth at all times Apostates don't start doing things you accuse JW's leaders of doing like bending the truth.

I'm going to need some examples. I'd also like to point out that it wasn't apostates who came up with the UN scandal, child abuse and false propheciy; it was WBTS who did it. Apostates just made it public.

Jesus said it best the truth will set you free.

Indeed; I told the truth, and now I'm free.

• lv4fer
  • BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Try this web site http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/jodrellbank/hyperdrive/479/Knowledge_book.htm

lv4fer: OK. We've seen this before. But what is your point?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

booker-t

I take some of the things Apostates say with a "grain of salt" because many times I think they embellish the truth to make the WT look bad to make their case.

One of the things I have seen, especially here on JWD is that when someone does seem to take it too far quite a few people will jump in with a correction. We certainly have nothing to gain by "embellishing" anything. Besides the WTS give us plenty to discuss without having to make it up.

For example I have for years heard that the WT uses "Satanic" images in their artwork but I have yet to see any proof of these accusations.

You won't find any serious ex-JWs who believe this. And those who do bring it here are quickly crtitiqued

I have heard that JW's no longer practice "Disfellowshipping" but my teenage niece was recently "Disfellowshipped".

This one actually comes from a page on the WTS' website. I'm not sure if it has been removed but check here and related topics.

One new aspect of this is that while the practice of shunning and disfellowshipping still occurs, for legal reasons they now statre: "so and so is no longer a JW" The announcement is not to say disfellowshipped or disassociated

I think Apostates become like crooked police officers that are trying to get rid of drug dealers and plant drugs in their cars just to get an arrest. Apostates seem to act the same way.

One of the things that I have discovered is that when people first get here they often believe all the old accusations that the WTS claimed was true about those who leave. As they read this site and many others on the net they begin to realize thast "apostates" are just normal people who have been hurt.

I have been an ex-jws for many years and alot of the stuff Apostates come up with are true such as the UN scandal, Child Abuse in the congos and date setting by the WTS.

Yup they give us a lot to work with.

But alot of stuff is just manufactured lies to prove their case against the WT.

You came up with 2 examples and then say "a lot of stuff" What you will find as you read more is that posters on this board work hard to find the real truth. I'll give you 1 example.

When I was a JW I heard the rumors that Russell had sexually abused a child. The WTS discounted it as apostate lies and embellishments. Over the last couple of years quite a few people were involved in checking out this story. We probably won't ever know whatr really happened but what the researchers did find out was that the female he was supposed to have taken liberties with was not a child.

The WTS knows this. They have the legal documents but they preferred to leave it alone even though it was solid proof that he did not abuse a child. But they can't do that. If they correct the story and lay the rumor to rerst it brings up another issue. Did Russell commit adultery. The court records show his wife Maria did not think he had been unfaithful. But something happened that shouldn't have. But we have proof it wasn't with a child

Tell the truth at all times Apostates don't start doing things you accuse JW's leaders of doing like bending the truth. Jesus said it best the truth will set you free.

We try really hard here to label rumors as rumors. And we a fortunate enough to have several people who have the means and desire to find the real truth

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I guess given the general public's love of sensationalism and conspiracy it might be too much to expect all former JWs to show a greater restraint. Sometimes I think I'd love to live in a word that always acted soberly and thoughtfully, but that wouldn't be this world. And in that ideal world I'd be the bad egg.

• dozy
    dozy
    I take some of the things Apostates say with a "grain of salt" because many times I think they embellish the truth to make the WT look bad to make their case.

What has disillusioned me with much of my research into ex-witness / apostate information is the dishonesty and often downright lies that are spread by ex-witnesses / apostates.

• avengers
    avengers
    But alot of stuff is just manufactured lies to prove their case against the WT.

Examples please. If I'm guilty then I'd like to know so I can correct my mistakes.

I agree some of us take it too far, as I'm guilty of it myself at some time.

No matter how far we sometimes take it though, it doesn't compare to how far the WT has taken it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit