Are "Apostates" jumping the gun with their info on the WT to make a case?

by booker-t 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• avengers
    avengers
    the fundamental doctrines, beliefs and practices of the WTS simply do not stand up to honest scrutiny.

I stand up and applaud you.

Andy

• AlanF
    AlanF

The interesting thing about semi-apologists like booker-t, dozy, slimboyfat and others is that they usually don't back up their vague insinuations with solid examples -- even when called out on them. Or they mix major issues with trival ones, not distinguishing which is which. And when they're called to task on their poor argumentation and vague claims, they usually run away.

The point has been well summed up -- on the solid issues like blood, disfellowshipping, the UN scandal, the authority of the Governing Body and so forth -- JW apologists have no case. There is the lunatic fringe and everything in between, but such people's claims have no bearing on the basic issues that prove without doubt that the JWs are a destructive and hypocritical cult.

AlanF

• VM44
    VM44

"...Rutherford killing Russell...."

What nonsense! Who would even suggest such a thing?.....Oh, wait!...nevermine. :)

--VM44 (of the sometimes not to be taken too seriously class)

• Jringe01
    Jringe01

Slight bend in topic:

This relates to the thread where this line was written: Unlike the WT that likes to tell "unproven" stories and repeat unlikely, laughable stories at conventions and assemblies

This is done everywhere, especially in advertising "Florence K says she lost 35lbs in 3 weeks...". In telling such tales with no hard evidence JW's mearly mirror the world in which they live.

In fact I seem to recall a thread some time ago where a poster was quite upset to discover that an experience was related at the convention where he(or she) was baptized by an elder that had nothing to do with this person's comming into the truth and yet the way the story was told.

• Ade
    Ade

I agree that many of the so called apostates become bitter against the org and some even create fanciful stories of certain happenings within the org in an attempt to bring shame upon it.

However the organization's changes in doctrine over the years have proven their truths cannot be truths, for indeed truths cannot and are not subject to change. So regardless of the inventiveness of a few over imaginative minds ( apostates ) the witnesses guided by their imaginary heavenly class and "board of directors" are still misguided abusers of bible pricinples and have exposed theirselves as such.

Hencefoth the U.N etc matters not, for evil is as evil does

My plan is leave them to it, show those who will discuss the bible with you the truths from it, showing why people such as witnessess who are living by laws and doctrines of men cannot be right and have not fully accepted the grace and love by which we are to be saved.

God bless you and yours -Ade

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

This relates to the thread where this line was written: Unlike the WT that likes to tell "unproven" stories and repeat unlikely, laughable stories at conventions and assemblies

This is done everywhere, especially in advertising "Florence K says she lost 35lbs in 3 weeks...". In telling such tales with no hard evidence JW's mearly mirror the world in which they live.

jringe: Nope. Uh-uh. Not having it.

You see, the WTS painted themselves into a corner a long time ago with that line of reasoning. They claim to be God's chosen people, bearing his name. Set apart from the world. Not partaking in the ways of the world. Better, if you will. Adhering to strict tenents of honesty. Guiding by God's Holy Spirit. Does the word "truth" ring a bell? Do you honestly think that the WTS would agree that they reflect the same standards of truthfulness as..........wait for it ...................... drumroll............... ...................................ADVERTISING!!!!!!??????

Nope. Try again.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Most former JWs have experienced or seen enough that we don't NEED to make up anything. We hear stories that we remember happening in our own experience.

The WT society is no more honest than any other business and less so than others. That is shown by their own literature and the facts behind them. The way they manipulate is sometimes less hard to pin down, but we all still recognize dog crap when we step in it-even when the texture, smell and color differs a little from the pile someone else stepped in. Crap is crap.

I think some of the wilder stories (the ones we all ignore or correct-are put on by apologists to make 'all apostates' look like dorks. Then again, this thread is a good reminder to not go with EVERY thing we hear or read. Not everyone has great motives. I still have seen so much how the WT articles and talks manipulate that I can believe a LOT of what I have seen on these boards (as experiences). I take some things with a grain of salt. I also don't want to be like paranoid JWs who are afraid to discuss their religion with anyone who actually has information about it that they don't like. But I am not following some apostate 'Leader' or organization. So I can take and leave what I wish.

• AlanF
    AlanF

There is nothing wrong with posting accounts of events or ideas that cannot as yet be proved with hard evidence -- as long as the poster makes clear that what he or she is posting is rumor, hearsay, speculation or whatever. Once enough evidence has accumulated, many more people with other evidence might build on it, leading to a confirmation. Or even a disconfirmation. This is what the publicizing of criminal cases, followed by court cases, is all about.

Case in point:

About 11-12 years ago, several posters on a popular JW-critical email list posted rumors about GB member Leo Greenlees having been a child molestor. Gradually several other posters put up more information on their own experiences with Greenlees, and others related what they had been told by other JWs or former JWs. By 1997, the evidence was clear enough that I mentioned this to a recent former Bethelite, who confirmed that the rumors were true. Apparently, several long-term Bethelites knew about Greenlees' having been dismissed from Bethel in late 1984 for molesting a child. Several years later, two different WTS officials confirmed the story for me, one even supplying more details. I've posted these details a number of times on this board.

How would anyone have known enough to investigate Greenlees if the rumors had not appeared?

AlanF

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Interesting stuff Alan.

In her recent account Barbara Anderson mentions that a lot of mail to Bethel complained about a particular Circuit Overseer who was later appointed to the govering body around 2000.

Is there any advance so far on who that was and the nature of the complaints?

Just wondering...

Slim

• AlanF
    AlanF

I don't know anything about that, slimboyfat. Ask Barbara yourself.

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit