Are "Apostates" jumping the gun with their info on the WT to make a case?

by booker-t 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Avengers:

Not offended (I am thick skinned). I happen to think the term apostate is laughable. First of all, other religions use it also. Besides, I was technically an apostate when I left catholicism. But you can't help what terms the JWs want to use on people who left.

I know most JWs are nice people. The problem is that they will not examine anything contrary until and if they are good and ready which means a calamity has to happen to them first. Even then they will still have doubts and will cling to their beloved religion.

With regard to exposing them today on their controversial issues and having credibility the burden proof is on the one pointing the finger.

In the old days, when "apostates" marched outside stadiums with masks on and signs you didn't really know what they were about and it looked pathetic really. It seemed hokey or corny and the JWs I was with would point and say: "look at those Apostates trying to take our hope away". Now it can't be like that. You not only have to look just as "businesslike" as they do but your facts have to be air-tight. Not just so the "world" will listen but also the JWs inside (well, maybe not all of them but SOME).

LHG

• hampstead
    hampstead

u make a very good point, be honest accross the board. btw-they DO still disfellowship. my jw g/f got threatened with that if she stayed with me after sleeping with me for a year and a half, and now she's back with them (for now)

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The first "apostate" that I paid any attention to was Timothy Campbell at the Beyond JW website. I don't think he jumped the gun to make a case against the WTS. In fact I was pleasantly surprised at how well presented his information was. He even invites anyone to correct his information, should they find a mistake. It was like a breath of fresh air, and not what I was told by the Society to expect from "apostates".

I accepted Timothy's invitation to destroy my faith and bought Crisis of Conscience and Who Wrote the Bible?. Ray Franz' book was not what I had expected from an "apostate" either. It is well reasoned and level headed, not a blistering tirade. The information from these two knowledgeable and intelligent "apostates" was all it took for me to see the light, so to speak. Frankly, sensational and extreme information, whether true or not, always turned me off. All I needed was just enough information to help me take the JW filters off my eyes, then I could see for myself and decide for myself. The rest of the information that has liberated me has not come from so called apostates, but from sources of general information like the Talk Origins website and the Infidels website that have nothing to do with current or former JWs. That said, there are many very knowledgeable posters here who are a treasure (Alan F., Blondie, and many others), and it is always a pleasure to gain some new insight from them. They don't have to "make" a case. Their credibility comes from their honesty and high principles. Dave
  • V
    V
    ITIS: However, there are some things where both sides may be right. For instance, they do not disfellowship. They instead say "so-and-so is no longer one of JWs". This has been documented at elder's schools and in elder letters to the congregations.

Jehovah's Witnesses Disfellowship!

ithinkisee, I am so disappointed in you. Go back to the third post on this tread were I quote from the brand new organisation book (2005).

Subheadings from chapter 14:

• IF THE DECISION IS TO DISFELLOWSHIP
    • ANNOUNCEMENT OF DISFELLOWSHIPPING
    • DISASSOCIATION
    • REINSTATEMENT

Please...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit