How do you feel about the name Jehovah?

by JWdaughter 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OpenFireGlass
    OpenFireGlass

One time (9 years ago), I took about 700 micrograms of lysergic acid dythalimide, and said jehovah, over and over, and over, and over... Till it meant absolutly nothing to me... It was kinda hard at first.. but it worked out

• Twitch
    Twitch

A name from the past that means nothing to me personally anymore. Just one of God's aliases

The word does invoke a realization of a certain power inherent in some words because of the reverance of millions that give it such.

• blondie
    blondie

I stick to "God" unless I'm quoting from the WT publications. It does have bad connotations for me. Yahweh is better but there are some far out religious groups that use that. But I realize that there are other religions that use the name in the name of their church, in their hymns, even in some sermons. So I'm adjusting.

Blondie

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Arthur,

I've pm'd you but I'm sure you won't mind my sharing the information with others.

Regarding the research, when I left the JWs I did much research into Ancient Bible History. You would do well to join: [email protected]

I got the information on Yahweh from this group. There are some brilliant scholars on it, one of which is a man called John, from Australia, who sent me the info! He's one of Australia's leading academics!!

Good books to read are The Bible Unearthed by Finkelstein and Silberman, A Short History of the Bible by Bronson C. Keeler (published in 1881 but reprinted) and Who Wrote the Gospels? by Randal Helms. All available from Amazon.

Ian

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

The last Public that I gave, I didn't use the name Jehovah for the first 25 minutes, using instead God or Lord to refer to the Deity. Then I noticed that my failure to use the familiar word made the audience very restless. Strangely everyone was wide awake, as if they realized something was wrong. When I started to sense hostility, I began referring to God as Jehovah. Then, once the magic word was used the audience settled back into their usual routine. Those who liked to sleep returned to their slumber, those whose minds liked to wander dropped their frowns and went back to the blank stare. While those who liked appear "theocratic" went back to writing notes, or whatever.

Since leaving the JWs I don't use the term Jehovah, unless referring to the Witnesses. Being a person who respects other religions and people of other faiths, even if I disagree with them, I don't use the word Jehovah in a disrespectful manner. However, I did have an interesting experience regarding the name for God. For a few years I was engaged to a Jewish woman and attended Synagogue with her and took Jewish living classes. I noticed that using the term Jehovah didn't offend her. However, she didn't like me to refer to God as Yahweh as she felt this was disrespectful. Jehovah is a made up word and had no meaning at all for her. But Yahweh did and shouldn't be pronounced.

• chiddy
    chiddy

I think it's a poofy name.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

When I first left the JWs I could barely bring myself to say the name Jehovah. The name was like nails on a chalkboard to me. My husband found it very offensive that I only referred to 'God'. But it felt disrespectful to me, and it reminded me too much of the JWs.

Now, I am much farther removed from the JWs, and I also wonder how intimately involved God is in my life... so if I'm talking to a JW, I say Jehovah. It doesn't bother me much anymore. I still prefer 'God', though.

GGG

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I have no problems with a Latinized transliteration of the hebrew form of the name. AFTER ALL in Jerome's day it was not even pronounced the way english speakers pronounce it. The letter J did not even exist in Latin when the Vulgate was translated.

Even when j started to be used it was pronounced as a 'Y' as in modern german.

None of the names in the Bible are pronounced correctly in ANY 21st century language, so why make a fuss about one more?

I use the term "jehoobie" to make it clear I am speaking about the vicious vindictive sociopath the witlesses have put in place of Christ.

HB

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

You are correct about the letter j in Latin Hamster. In fact J was missing from the old Latin alphabet. The letters for the Divine name in old Latin would probably be IHVH. The Latin V was pronounced wah, like our modern W. Thus in the old Latin the name would probably be pronounced Yahweh, or Yahwah.

• JH
    JH

I'll still use the name Jehovah in prayer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit