How do you feel about the name Jehovah?

by JWdaughter 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

To me, the name Jehovah is a label - one that's been marketed very cleverly - to be synonomous with the Witnesses.

And as the marketing dept in Brooklyn has done such a superb job - I will never speak, hear or read that name without a start of displeasure...a feeling of loathing...a dull ache in the pit of my stomach...and a flare of anger.

And I despise the fact that one of these days I might have another nightmare about being attacked by demons, and I might awake trying to scream that name to protect myself.

Childhood programming can be a real drag!

• freetosee
    freetosee

I use it when speaking or posting to and about jws. but it does not have the same meaning and reverence as it had before. That jesue never used it disappointed my as a jw, because I thought if he had it would be easier for people to accept the truth. fts

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I wouldn't name any of my kids Jehovah!

• lowden
    lowden

LMAO!!

Neither would i Crumpster...neither would i.

Hahahahaha

Peace

Lowden

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

There are many theological, ethical, reasons or non-reasons to use it.

I have accepted that Jesus never did use that name - even though he knew how to pronounce it if anyone did - so if he did not set us a clear example of using it, why would we? I believe that argument is the whole reason that Freddy had to find an excuse to put it in the JW Bible. He knew that robotic-watchtowerites would not ever contemplate such a discussion as this if he put it in there.

I read other translations now, so the Jehovah issue has started to fade in my mind. I kinda cringe a little when I see or hear it used now.

I consider it completely dishonorable to use my dad's first name - why would I use my Father's?

Jeff

• greendawn
    greendawn

I don't like using it is like the hallmark of the JWs, it refers to the pre christian era and the Judaic law, a God that has not been reconciled with mankind.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

I feel like others do - I use it sometimes when saying "jehovah's witnesses" and I don't know what I believe anymore so I don't feel comfortable right now attributing things to a god named Jehovah or really any god at this point in my life... but I have been deeply indoctrinated so it's hard to say "jehoober" and think I'm being funny...

But I was noticing how many other places I hear it: last week watching an episode of the sitcom "Scrubs" and one of the characters said, "Sweet Dancing Jehovah." And in lots of different rap songs they say that name (some rappers - Jay-Z - call themselves Jehovah: "Young Hove", "Jay-Hove" Etc.)... WHY do JW's think they have the monopoly on the name?

Good Girl or Bad Girl

• hambeak
    hambeak

I feel a reverance for the divine name. The correct pronunciation is probably lost but it is my understanding this is the closest thing to it.

The word God is a title not a proper name, as Jesus said there are many gods and lords. Since other gods have a name like Buddha, Allah etc. why wouldn't The god of the Jews. Remember on the mount he told Moses his name meant I Am. I still use it when I pray. I can't help it if people have misreprsented him.

a

• ICBehindtheCurtain
    ICBehindtheCurtain

I cringe when speaking to active JW freinds and family and every other word out of their mouth is Jehovah (ie thanks to Jehovah, if Jehovah allows etc), I no longer use the name because I have researched enough to know that the Jehovah of the bible is not the true God, he was some trible God the hebrews had. El, Yaweh's father gave Israel to him as his inheritance which is also stated in the bible somewhere in Psalms I believe. Today, I just refer to the Creator as "Creator, "God", "Goddess" or whatever I feel at the moment since no one really knows if it was a he a she or a them who created us, and it doesn't matter anyway since I also found where the Hebrews got their stories, wisdom literature and myths from.

IC

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

No Crumpet, and neither would I, but someone did...

Jehovah Wanyonyi (1924?-) lives in western Kenya, near Mount Elgon that he considers Mount Zion. He claims to be God and deems Jesus Christ to be his son. He also claims to be able to cure AIDS and that he would punish Kenya if they did not give him three billion Kenyan shillings($3.8 million). His religion is called "Lost Israelites." Wanyonyi has 25 wives and 95 children between them. He has several grandchildren. He refuses to say if his children are also sons of God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit