THE JW MALE

by Dansk 35 Replies latest jw friends

• mama1119
    mama1119

I definitely agree. Not only power as head of the house, but for those MS and Elders, powers in the cong....they can't get it anywhere else so they stay put.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

JWs have the happiest marriages, it's a fact! They have marriage books printed by the watchtower to make sure everybody knows their roles in marriage. They have a song they sing about Jehovah providing an extra cord to make them stronger. Three strands are stronger than two, or something to that effect.

One question... Did anybody while they was a JW find either the old green family book or the newer one offensive?

• Forscher
    Forscher

Ah the memories!

The gossips put it around the congregation that I was pussywhipped because I didn't grind my wife under my heel like any good dub would. Sure, I reserved the right to have the last word on important decisions, but my wife knew good and well that she had a certain latitude to make certain decisions on her own and that she could speak up to me on any issue and have her opinion seriously considered. I told her before we got married that I considered Sarah the model of an ideal wife. But I also explained to her that I meant the whole package, not just the calling her husband "my Lord." Sarah was no wallflower, she spoke up when she thought it important and also insisted on her way when she felt it was really important. It was at Sarah's insistence that Abraham put his firstborn, whom he loved, out of his house together with his mother.

We'll be celebrating our 25th anniversary in a few moths, and my marraige has last longer than some of those who said I was "pussywhipped." So I guess the last laugh is mine!

Forscher

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Sarah was just grouchy because she had to wait until 90 to have a kid. You would lose your "wallflower" status too if you had to wait 9 decades to have your first kid too.

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary!

• Gordy
    Gordy

I suppose there something it what everyone has said. In my old congregation there were brothers who as Elders "lorded it over" the others. They saw it as the only time in their life that they would be "in charge" of anything.

Also the way they were looked upon by some members of the congregation gave them a lift. I recall when I became a Min.Servant the attitude towards me changed. At the KH I would be asked my view on a subject or for the meaning of some scripture. It could make you feel self-important.

As to wives I don't recall any "meek and mild" types in the congregation. Two or three of the Elders wives seem to think they themselves were elders. Looking back I recall some of the older wives being like the women portrayed in "Last of the Summer WIne" (I think only the British will get what I mean by that). They let their husbands "think" they were in charge.

• Arthur
    Arthur

This ideology perpetuates itself because the JW religion puts an irrational emphasis on positions and titles. A brother's spirituality is based upon whether he has a title or not (pioneer, MS, elder). I found that so many sisters evaluated a man's moral character upon whether he was a "Servant", or an "Elder". They used this as the prevailing criteria as to whether or not he would make a good husband. So, it is a thought system that both the men and women feed into and perpetuate. This became really disheartening to me after awhile. It seemed like such a shallow way to evaluate a man's moral character and worthiness. So, when I would see those sisters find their "perfect" Elder, or Servant husband; and he would wind up treating them like an employee; there was a part of me that didn't feel sorry for them.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Thats what I want!..A woman that has had the Spirit crushed out of her!.....What a disgusting thing to do to another human being..Shame on the cowards that do it...OUTLAW

• lowden
    lowden
    While some JW men may stay in for reasons of power, I believe that the vast majority of men stay in because they either believe the religion, or are not sure what else to do, or where else to go. Many JW men who stay in are often subjective to their wives in practice. These men stay in the Organization because they are afraid of screwing up their families.

Amazing has nailed it here for me.

Even so, the patriarchal society that the WTS promotes certainly doesn't lend itself to a balanced and loving arrangement with regard to the rights and opinions of women.

I dread to think of the awful scenario that faced the female population in ancient Israelite times.

Truly second class citizens. Sad.

Peace

Lowden

• girasole
    girasole

I think you are right, Ian. And what is worse is that they try so hard to project the image that that they value and cherish women so much. I can't tell you how many times I sat at KH weddings and listened to a stupid analogy about the woman being a delicate vase and the man a sturdy mug. Please. I remember when I was a child and my family and I were studying, the sister came with a brother who could not conduct the study so she conducted it with a paper napkin on her head for a head covering. I mean, how ridiculous can you get?

• mouthy
    mouthy

I would further suggest that many JW women don't know what to do with equality.

Ian you were right on there BUT!!!! test me now I havent met a soul who dares to tell me I should listen to ANY man -( even though I respect the ones I wish too)I am a VERY independent thinker. Say what I want to ( I try NOT to hurt but I know on occasions I have- even on here) I am equal to any bloke at all. maybe not in strength & intelligence -but doing what I am told to do!!!!NO WAY !!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit