I'm thinking about going to a meeting today . .. 9/3

by sandy 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sandy
    sandy

Okay, confession time . . .

i did get a little choked up at the KH today during the song. They were singing a song I knew well at one time.

I LOVE music and I LOVE to sing. I've been thinking about it and the kingdom melodies I always loved to sing. So I guess I have an emotional tie to them and that is what cased a little tear action.

It scared me a little. But suring the entire talk I was okay, nothing hit me like the music. Instead, as I already said I was refuting, in my mind, everything that was being said during the PT.

• Arthur
    Arthur

sandy, I sent you a PM

• sandy
    sandy

Athur, you are right . . . Rowland Heights. I sent you a pm. But I can talk freely here too.

• freetosee
    freetosee

"Rowland Heights"! I visited a congregation with that name. I’ll PM you some names I remember. fts

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sandy, I just have to say I am proud of you and how you handled the entire situation. You sought out advice from the board, but ultimately made your own decision. You wore subtle evidence of your independence, slacks! You self-checked your own growth, and found that you CAN critically analyse the flaws in a public talk. And admitted that music has a more powerful emotional hold than you realized.

Then you went home. Bravo.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

So, can we expect you to be a regular attender in the near future? LOL, just kidding.

Gotta love the part about how the Elders are there for you if you need mental health care. Hmmm, at last check about 5 years ago this is what the Elders did for a living in my Cong.

Presiding Overseer, retired janitor, works part-time as a grass cutter

Service Overseer, retired machinist

Cong. Secretary, farmer

Elder 4, retired engineer

Elder 5, retired machinist

Elder 6, window washer

Up and coming MS and probably an Elder by now, salesman.

Nope, not a one of them I would trust to assist in mental health. At least with other churches the ministers do get formal training at a college that brushes the mental health subjects.

• ronin1
    ronin1

Go. It cannot hurt.

It will make your mom feel good and show support for your brother in his endeavors.

Ronin1

• Purza
    Purza
    The elders have no clue how to care for those who are seriously mentally ill or those who have been abused.

You are absolutely right! My dad is an elder AND has some very serious issues with depression. He is totally NOT qualified to help others with mental illness.

I hope there are individuals out there who don't believe every word from the platform and seek the help if they need it.

Purza

• parakeet
    parakeet

***My brother went on and on about why we cannot rely on psychology/therapists because they are constantly changing their ideas/tecniques. He spent a whole lot of time bad mouthing psychology***
    sandy, this answers a question I've had for a while--whether the WTS has changed at all regarding its stance on psychiatric treatment. Like everything else that has the potential for litigation, they say "go ahead" with one side of their mouth and "you'll be sorry if you do" on the other side.
    I know a long-time JW whose wife, after a long, miserable struggle with mental illness, now lives 24/7 in almost total darkness on the second floor of their house. The windows are covered with aluminum foil, and she lives in constant fear, believing everything she breathes, drinks or eats is poisonous.
    Yet this brother has never, not even in earlier years when she might have been helped, taken her for psychiatric evaluation and treatment. Now they're both miserable, she from the illness, he from the onerous task of caring for her.
    Because of the WTS and Jehovah's "loving arrangement," they are trapped in a living hell.
    The songs may be pretty (I never thought so), but everything said in that talk was pure poison.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Good for you my love. But I am intested in what song made you well up? I still think of "LOYAL LOVE" I really used to bellow that out at the Kingdum Hell I really meant it. I still like it....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit