Why didn't you think you were in a cult?

by beautifulisfree 36 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

.........um, because I was in a cult???? Why didn't you think you were hypnotized??? Because I was hypnotized, silly and my brain was elsewhere.

• daystar
    daystar
    "Cult" is a word defined and crafted by those who are in the business of getting people out of new religions.

Only if you go by their definitions. I don't give two whits about the deprogrammers or their business. I certainly can agree with you that it would be in their interest to define any religion that is not mainstream as a cult. But that does not change the fact that the Jehovah's Witness religion is a cult.

If I proclaim that all cars are blue, that is certainly not true generally, but that doesn't mean some cars are not, in fact, blue.

That being said, I don't think all sects that may be labelled as cults are necessarily bad either. I would say that the early followers of Jesus were a cult, and not in a bad way.

Everyone likes the old conventional religions
    I don't.
  • Warlock
    Warlock

In the back of my mind, I knew I was in one.

Warlock

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I was a Witness in the 70's as a teenager. Information was not as prevelant in the 70's as today. There was no internet and only 3 tv channels. You really had to go on a mission to find information on anything. I dont think cult ever came up in my mind in the 60's and 70's. With the failure of 1975 to produce any results I went on a mission. I found enough info to escape by 1983.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Because I was in the truth, and everyone else was in a cult. That's what the wts told me anyway.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I was born into it, and during my childhood, it was the only reality I knew......my "worldy" friends certainly seemed to realize it was a cult, and eventually, they convinced me too! LOL

• Moomin
    Moomin

Before and during my last stint with the witnesses, I would smirk at the idea that it was a cult. I used to see programmes on the telly of what cults were like and I didn't think ours was similar.

I used to think that the members of these other religions knew deep down that they were in a cult.

When I put a bit more thought into it, especially on hearing about those who are willing to commit suicide, I realised that these people must believe in what they know with their whole hearts and minds as they are prepared to die for their beliefs.

It was then that I started to question myself. Once I told my husband that it wouldn't matter what evidence came before me, I would NEVER, EVER stop believing that the witnesses were true. Here I am a few months later finding it very difficult to believe what a knobhead I was and it barely took any evidence at all.

• sspo
    sspo

Persecution complex we had when people said we were

1 century christian were called a sect and spoken badly ( acts 28)

we did not have one leader such as many other cults.

we all sort of lived normal life- work-family and so on

Once you pull back and analize what you were involved in, full obedience to the GB or you are out, you realize it was a cult.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

beause the cult told me I was not in a cult and I really thought it was the truth so it could not possibly be a cult

• done4good
    done4good

First of all, I don't think most of us knew the true definition of the word until after we were out, (maybe I should just speak for myself here). But the very concept mind control never occured to me until I began to have serious doubts. Once I learned that I was under that mind control, and learned that it is the principal tool of a cult, only then did I realize it was indeed a cult. For the most part, it didn't matter to me at that point, I was out.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit