Was Lot A Righteous Man?

by jayhawk1 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Gill,

Allow me to explain that thought. Let's say we was setting in the Kingdom Hall and the Sunday talk was about Lot and how righteous he was. From a JW male's point of view, Lot did the right thing, it all worked out for all of them. Plus the JW male might even argue had the men of Sodom wanted the girls, Jehovah would have stepped in. (Much like Jehovah did when Abraham was told to kill his son.)

How did you women set through that without protest?

• Gill
    Gill

To be honest....really honest....I always felt physically sick, and actually humiliated to be considered of such little value.

Still being honest now.....I'm blushing with embarrassment that anyone would consider those girls of such little value, and fearful for all women folk!

Sound extreme? Maybe. But I do even now fine it thoroughly nauseating!

• Gill
    Gill

Actually I wonder if any other women find they have the same reaction as me when they read this story and find men trying to rationalise it and say how 'fine' an example Lot is.

I find, I have palpitations with anticipatory dread, nausea, and a surge of adrenalin to run for it.

Maybe that's what I should have done when I was sitting there listening to this crap. Trying to rationalise such horror is what screws your head up for you!

Excuse me! I'm off!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Gill, I am happy to have your thoughts on this one. I argued with the PO of my former Congregation on this one. He did everything in his power to rationalize it. His final word on it was, "Well, you have to understand it was a different time then."

Maybe it was a different time, but I just don't see how a good guy can act like such an ass! Or for that matter a loving God could count a jerk like Lot as a righteous person.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I know the bible calls Lot righteous, and most jws go along with that assessment, but I wonder how they'd react if someone in the congregation behaved in such a way today, offerring his daughters for gang - rape and then having incestous relations with them? I wonder if most jws would consider such a man righteous?

I don't think so. I think he'd probably be disfellowshipped if his conduct became public knowledge.

• luna2
    luna2

You know, good old Lot gets very little flack for sleeping with his daughters...its all their fault for getting him soused... but I've got to wonder just exactly how drunk he was not to have some idea, in some part of his tiny mind, about what was going on. Don't men have difficulty performing when too drunk? And just how drunk would you have to be to be so oblivious that you didn't know who you were boinking?

The whole account, from start to finish, is disgusting. Lot comes across as a slimeball who didn't value his daughters as much more than chattle and had no real problem having sex with them. Righteous, my ass.

• shera
    shera
    Actually I wonder if any other women find they have the same reaction as me when they read this story and find men trying to rationalise it and say how 'fine' an example Lot is.

I relate to you Gill...its all just dumb really...Angels come to visit,men want to get a peice of them,they sit back while Lot throws out his daughters in place of them to get ganged raped.Nice angels from god,eh? Why would they need to be protected anyways? Can't rationalise crap.

I really do think,alot of biblical people were eating too much from the ground,like mushrooms or something...

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

This (JE) story is filled with irony. Abraham is told to leave all his relatives and that he will have a son that will inherit the land. Abraham immediately disobeys and takes his brother's son Lot. (12:1-5) As the story ends Lot produces 2 nations (Moab and Ammon) who are enemies of Israel they can never defeat by order of Yahweh.

• target
    target

Lot did not seem a bit upset by his wife turning into a pillar of salt. Also, if they were in such a hurry to leave Sodom and could take nothing with them, where did the wine come from for Lot to get so blasted? And how convenient that both daughters got pregnant the first try. And since people lived so long back then, why would the daughters think they would not meet other men, that their father was their last chance?

Makes no sense. Definitely a fairytale

Target

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

If it is a fairytale, it is the sickest one ever. I can't imagine smut like this ever being printed and held up as enlightning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit