Was Lot A Righteous Man?

by jayhawk1 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I just have to ask this question. Was Lot a righteous man?

2 Peter 2:7,8 says "And he delivered righteous Lot, who was greatly distressed by the indulgence of the law-defying people in loose conduct- 8 for that righteous man by what he saw and heard while dwelling among them from day to day was tormenting his righeteous sould by reason of their lawless deeds."

Now if I remember correctly, wasn't it Lot who chose to move to Sodom after he and Abraham decided going their seperate ways would be for the best? Genesis 18 and 19 detail the events leading up to the destruction of Sodom.

Jehovah tells Abraham he is going to kill all the people of Sodom because Gen. 18:20 says, "Consequently Jehovah said, "The cry of complaint about Sodom and Gomorrah, yes, it is loud, and their sin, yes, it is very heavy." If this was the case, why would a righteous man deliberately put his family in the middle of that? I realize 1 Cor 15:33 was not invented yet, but it does not take a genious to figure out living amongst such evil would spoil a righteous man.

Genesis 18 finishes with Abraham pleading with Jehovah to spare the city if as few as 10 righteous people are found in it.

Now along come the two Angels in Gen. 19... They stay the night with Lot... A crowd gathers at Lot's house and demand the new guys be turned over to them for a little fun.

What does try to do to save his guests? He offers his daughters up for gang rape! Wow such a loving, righteous man he is!

You all know the rest of the story... Angels make Lot and family leave... wife turns to salt... the two daughters get Lot drunk so they can make babies from him... ewwww! The nations of Moab and Ammon come from this mess which would make these nations the biggest bunch of hicks ever.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• target
    target

And just what kind of name is "Lot", anyhow?

Target

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Of course lot was righteous...in an incestuous and chauvenistic way!

DB74

• shera
    shera

So many parts of the bible is messed up,mentaly ill,makes you wonder about the book in whole...

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Jayhawk:

I agree. This is one account in the bible that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I realize they lived in a more "barbarous" time and we can't compare what they would do to what we would do today (at least in the Western world).

But, just the same, I could never swallow the explanation that the JWs would give when this account of Lot offering his daughters to the angry mob was explained. They said something to the effect that because Lot's daughters were supposedly engaged, that the men of the mob would have to answer to whoever these daughters were engaged to if they were to violate them, etc.

This explanation doesn't sit well with me. I think it is entirely possible Lot offered up his daughters because women were so de-valued back then. Lot just wanted to save his own skin. I don't think he was any real bargain as a person. He just had the distinction of being the "right" lineage.

Also, when you think of the account of him in the cave with his daughters and them getting him drunk, etc. to preserve the "seed" [ick] makes you realize they had totally different values than what we have today.

If it were me, the human race could die out before I would DO what they did!

L

• Gill
    Gill

And to think! My mother wouldn't let me watch Captain Scarlet and Thunderbirds, because she thought they were 'too violent' yet she would have had me reading that nasty book day in day out given half a chance!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

For me the only way I could relate that is by asking myself, could I offer to hand my adopted daughter over to an angry mob? Obviously, there is no way. They would have to kill me first! But I'm afraid I don't have quite the ability to see it from a woman's point of view. That is why I chose this topic.

Other thoughts to think about...

If Lot was so righteous, why did Moab and Ammon come from him? Did he just keep his relationship to Jehovah a secret? If having children to preserve the seed was so important, didn't Abraham have hired hands the girls could have married? Did Abraham fail to tell his help about Jehovah too?

Apparently being a follower of Jehovah wasn't all that important to Lot, because his girls was about to be with two of the men of Sodom, so I find it hard to believe there wasn't one man out there for the girls to get with.

A totally sick story for sure!

• Gill
    Gill

Oh! And 'no' I don't think Lot was a rightous man.

I think he was a stupid, arrogant, cowardly, ignorant shit brain.

Well...you asked!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Gill, why are you on the fence on this topic. Pick a side already!

• Gill
    Gill

jayjawl - you don't have to have the ability to see it from a woman's point of view. You have to view it from a 'human' point of view. We're not very much different to men, you know. Would you want to be handed over to an angry mob to be raped?

Now you know how those girls felt!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit