Was Lot A Righteous Man?

by jayhawk1 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lowden
    lowden

LOT? RIGHTEOUS???

Aaaaahahahahahaha..........hahahaha....hehehehe....

NO!

Peace

Lowden

• earthtone
    earthtone

Hell No!

So he offered some men shelter. Okay.

True he didn't know they were Angels, but dd he have to offer his daughters to the ENITRE CITY. They would have been dead, when those men got through with me.

And why?... For some strangers, he knew nothing about? Oh come on. The account makes no sense. I've posted this before and have no problems posting this again: I got an extreme feeling of satisfication when they told Lot no and grabbed his azz, to rape him! Yes, I kept thinking. There is justice in this account.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Blondie,

Based on Watchtower logic, that would mean I was incapable of knowing right from wrong without the Bible. Since when do I need it to be written down somewhere it is nasty to do what Lot and for that matter his daughters did. Clearly the girls had self-esteem issues from a man like Lot. How else do you explain why they didn't leave his ass the moment Sodom burned to the ground? And then afterwards think so little of theirselves that the only man they could get with was their daddy? Again, it all points back to that sick bastard Lot.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

If it helps anyone understand, the Anchor Bible suggests that the character Lot had a collection of stories surrounding him, only a few of which were incorporated into the JE narrative. The JE author/s utilized stories for his own purpose. The narrative as it appears in Genesis (other then chapt 14 which is a separate insertion) itself does not paint Lot as righteous or bad, he's a foil for the Abraham story. Even the Sodom story is made to revolve around the Abrahamic promise of a son to inherit the land. Lot is taken by Abraham because he didn't believe God's promise to give him a son of his own. Lot then becomes a burden. He eventually gives life to two rival kingdoms. Its all designed to bring the reader to a theological perspective, "Trust in God in the first place and avoid complications". Lot represented the complications.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Earthtone, you crack me up. Good points though!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Pete, I can see your point, but keep in mind both Jesus and 2 Peter point to Lot as a faithful servant. That's the problem I can't get around.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Narkissos explained how this happened. Traditions grow over time.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I see what you are saying Pete. Okay, then I will change my question to fall in line with Narkisos' fine contribution to this topic (Thanks again!)...

Was Lot an ungodly man? Sure he was saved from Sodom, but can you justify what he was like as godly?

Or how about this...

Let's say all godly people go to heaven... based on what a crappy example Lot is, is he in heaven? Why? Why not?

(I understand many of us no longer believe in heaven, but that's not the point. For the sake of discussion, let's all agree that there is.)

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I hope I am not coming across as being a jerk on this thread. I find Lot fascinating, because on one hand he is about the worst character in the Bible and yet he is held up later in the Bible as an example of righteousness (godlyness). What is more amazing to me is how he can be viewed by Watchtower Corp as a man to be followed. The Elders in my former congregation tried to set me strait by saying Lot was just following the first commandment in Genesis, which is to populate the Earth. The same excuse was given to me for Judah and his daughter-in-law Tamar.

Meanwhile to go further, the reason Joseph didn't have relations with Potifar's Wife is because she was married and the purpose of getting with her would not have been for populating the Earth. Never mind, as Blondie pointed out, that there could have been an Egyptian law Joseph could have been trying to obey.

Getting back to the point, Watchtower Corp would have us believe Lot is a fine example to follow. Watchtower Corp would also have us believe without them we would not have Bible trained consciences to keep us from doing what Lot and his daughters or Judah and his daughter-in-law did.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Did my thread die?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit