HOW MANY ARE LEAVING?

by zev 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Sorry Scooby, but even if all these fundamentalist groups stay in existence, I see no real advantage to it. We would certainly not be left with one point of view, by any means. Quite the opposite.

It would be more like getting rid of the thinking that the earth is flat, aliens live under the North Pole or that our futures are controlled by a benevolent troll who lives under a bridge on the Thames. Religious fundamentalism of any stripe is counter to growth and freedom of expression, because it can only exist by working against freedom of thought and speech. It's the fundamentalists who are trying to close down our research labs and water down our science education programs with their idiocy.

I hardly see how keeping them in existence is helping humankind and freedom of thought. Freedom for inept, inaccurate and outright false thought is hardly good for humanity. It's been one of its greatest enemies, and is the greatest threat to peace on earth right now.

I suggest you Goggle Sam Harris and read a few of his essays online.

S4

• garybuss
    garybuss

Did ya know Knorr did his own missing-in-inaction calculations in a yearbook letter? It's a good read from the president of God's earthly good kingdom United States based printing business.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

We will have to disagree here. Life in all it's myriads of beliefs and ways must continue. We must never deny one group, else we start down a slippery slope. What makes us great is that we allow tolerance and individuality, and yes even group think amongst many if they so chose that path. When you start saying this group or that group should go, well, it's just worrying. It's only my view anyway.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Scoobysnax

you make a good point and one I often think about.

For example, If the WTS dissolved would it be better if all the ex-members joined Islam? If they did, one could imagine a small percentage then being taken over by a radical group and becoming suicide bombers. I think better to keep such people as JW's than suicide bombers, no?

But on the other hand not all groups are good, even if they do add to diversity. Should the Nazi's be allowed to reform and practise legally in Germany? Do we allow the Nazi party to exist because it adds to our "diversity"? I think NOT!

In my opinion, the world would be better off without JW's, the damage they do to families, their brainwashing tactics, killing young and old alike with the murderous bloody policy, the psychological damage to individuals caused by the guilt pressure, and so on, tips the scales in favour of being rid of them. Even if their loss reduces our diversity.

I believe they do MORE BAD than GOOD.

Pope

• Anitar
    Anitar

Hi Darth Frosty,

I think your comments are quite interesting, something I had not thought of before. Can you perhaps elaborate some more? For example, many people at my mom's KH are coming down with "mysterious illnesses," and there is a new trend of listening to the meetings on the phone, claiming they are not up to attending. It seems there is a class of "absentee witnesses" emerging. There are at least half a dozen people doing this every meeting. Just yesterday, a JW girl my age came into the printing shop that I work at, and was in perfect health. Today, my mom comes home from the meeting and says she has had the flu for two days and was ABSENT!

Can you or anyone else tell me what this means? Also, when the internet is not enough to awaken the most stubborn of dubs like my mom, do you know where there are any support groups in New York?

Thanks,

Anitar

• silversurfer1
    silversurfer1

My observation is this, in the 4 congregations that I served as an elder the in-active, the irregular and the D/F'd made up 1/4 to 1/3 of the publishers in each of these congregations. If you added the low hour publisher (1 hr to 4 hr in field service a month) group I saw numbers approaching 1/2 the congregation who seemed to be drifting away. This is a fertile breeding ground of dis-contented people that are leaving the group.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Saw a bunch of new people in casual clothes bunch in at the spanish congo yesterday. I don't know what their story was. It seems like there is still plenty of growth among the spanish speakers.

Poor guys, they usually don't know how to access all the resources that english-speaking folks have. After being handed literature, their first thought isn't to google JWs.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Yeah, the Spanish speaking communities are probably the easiest pickin's.

I don't know how many times my wife tells me about some new "interested one" who quickly becomes disinterested.... you know there is a google search in there somewhere.

Wish I would have thought to do a google!

CYP

• done4good
    done4good
    Wish I would have thought to do a google!

Yeah, too bad it didn't exist back in '88, (for me). Still, no excuse.

j

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Pope

Not to highjack the thread, but does anyone ever tease you, or make fun of that cauldron you sport around atop your head?

Dismembered

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit