How Accurate is Your Bull$h!t Detector?

by Scully 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

I think everyone has a BS detector, but not everyone utilizes theirs, or ignores its warnings.

I find that mine seems very sensitive and unless I "feel" sincerity from the person I am sizing up, my BS detector has various levels of "alert" mode.

In "Yellow Alert" mode, I tend to be very guarded with personal information until the individual's behaviour identifies whether I should maintain that status quo or not. This seems to be my default setting, I think, because I tend to use it with all new people I encounter.

In "Orange Alert" mode, there's something about the person that just is not meshing with me. They may be trying to cross a boundary that I do not want them to cross, like bestowing a nickname on me without asking me if I'm ok with it first. That's a signal to me that this person would expect me to allow them to cross other boundaries. FWIW, I was right about my "Orange Alert" regarding the person in this thread.

In "Red Alert" mode, it's clear to me that this person is trying to put one over on me. I know they are attempting to manipulate me by twisting information to suit their agenda. Their actions and sincerity appear to be very contrived and for show. I used to ignore these kinds of warnings from my subconscious. I believed other people who said I was being overly suspicious, when in reality, they were the very people who were attempting to take advantage of me for their own purposes. So now I listen to that little voice when it speaks up, because it is right far more often than it is wrong.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

my BS detector is not good - in many ways I am too naive and trusting. I just like people too much. And when it is a woman I just go weak at the knees and the ycan BS all day long and I would not know it. It technical matters however, I know immediately when I am being BSed

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I think mine is oversensitive... I don't trust anybody enough, to the point of being a bit mean. My hubbie is such a softie that he's a good influence on me in so many ways, so I like to think that I am softening up a bit.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Mine is highly sensitive and always on a hair trigger alert. As much as I try to "heavy" that trigger, whenever it goes off, all bets are off and everything the person who set it off says is suspect to me from that point on. For certain people, JWs in particular, it's always pegged in the full "ON" position.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Scully,

I hope you sought the beggar out!

On a personal note, my own BS detector certainly wasn't working when the JWs called!

Ian

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

My BS detector is very accurate, it has yet to let me down.

I've always been an intuitive person, trained from birth to "read" the undercurrent of my family. There was a time I didn't pay too much attention to this side of me it seemed so natural. It was only when I realized everyone didn't see things like I did that I started to really pay attention to it and fine tune it.

Now days when something about a person seems amiss I pay attention and I don't warm up to them which I definitely felt like I had to do when a JW being a Christian after all it was the "Christian" thing to do.

People always show their true colors and for me if it's a miss in the beginning it's a miss period I don't progress any further in the relationship from the instant I perceive something is off about them.

My BS detector:

alt100% on target!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

On a personal note, my own BS detector certainly wasn't working when the JWs called!

EXACTLY -mine definitely needs an overhaul and repair

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I believe mine to be very accurate. However, I usually have the tendency to give them the benefit of the doubt. It is my way of showing them patience while giving them a second chance to be honest. It also gives me a deeper "read" of the person. I too, am imperfect and will be grateful if someone would give me the benefit of the doubt and to allow me to rectify any wrongs that I may have purposely slipped in.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

me, too, Alligator Wisdom. If something about a new person bothers me, I just wait to see if there's something to it or not before jumping to a conclusion. Depends on the situation, though, and maybe I'm a little more guarded than usual, although they would never know it. I can act like I completely have my guard down when I actually have it completely in control. 3 years now fading can make a person really really good at faking that sort of thing.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Mine is always on high alert.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit