How Accurate is Your Bull$h!t Detector?

by Scully 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Arthur
    Arthur

I think that many of us had much better detectors than we thought; but we didn't listen to them. This was certainly the case with me.

My b.s. detector regarding the WTS started going off long ago, but I tried desperately to ignored it because I thought that this was just "worldly" or independent thinking that I must stop. Ignoring my intuition was like trying to keep a 500 pound gorilla locked in a broom closet. Eventually, I couldn't ignore it any further.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Mine has always worked to a degree--mainly because being a dub throws the calibration off. For example, I went on a job interview not long ago. Long story short, it was a bait-and-switch deal that I could smell just a moment before it went down. I should've listened to my BS detector and not've gone at all, but I didn't think ditching an interview would be good.

I can smell fraud moneymaking schemes, and fraud products. People are a bit harder. People who complain of hunger always get my sympathy, because I have the stereotypical hunger drive of a male my age. But people who are trying to put one over on me for my money? I never fail those.

• done4good
    done4good
    I think that many of us had much better detectors than we thought; but we didn't listen to them.

My thoughts exactly. In jwland, it was almost as if you weren't allowed to use it.

j

• juni
    juni
    think that many of us had much better detectors than we thought; but we didn't listen to them

I agree with these wise words of Arthur.

Juni Beer/ale for you Arthur. I don't like it; well I don't like martinis either but they didn't have any other icon. Make mine one of those girlie fruit drinks.

• parakeet
    parakeet

Thanks to the WTS, my BS detector is accurate to within a tenth of a point. Every once in a while I'll recalibrate it by talking to JWs. Talk radio also helps to keep it accurate.

• Poztate
    Poztate

Mine is getting better thanks to Google and www.snopes.com I investigate everything that sounds like BS and don't just take your word for it. The Internet is great as many BS thoughts can be easily disproved WT included.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Mine is always on and I wish it wasn't, there's way too much BS out there to keep up with, it gets annoying. I try to not pay attention to it unless someone is trying to get something from me or talk me into something.

If someone is just a Bser by nature I just blow them off or ignore them. They usually go away.

• xjwms
    xjwms

Minimus

Oh lord ... I have not heard that expression in years....

"Ring of truth" Gawd and to think I would use that all the time...

btw

My Detector works very good....Just open your mouth.....

• delilah
    delilah

My Detector works very good....Just open your mouth.....

LMAO xjwms.....too funny. I can tell when something smells fishy. My bullshite detector is usually on high, especially when meeting new people for the first time. I can read in it posts too, as a rule. There's just something about certain people,in their voice, their stories, the way they write things,body language, and you know you need a shovel handy.

• mama1119
    mama1119

I think mine is pretty good, thanks to the training my husband has given me in BullSh*T 101. I can detect it a mile away now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit