A True Scholar In Our Midst, Leolaia

by Skoshi 92 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

proplog2,

Much of Leolaia is cut and paste. Some of it is also erroneous because the experts she quotes are riddled with fallacies. A little time on google would produce the same info.

Most of Leolaia's research could never be found on the Internet because it is very recent material that will not be published there before decades, and most often isn't yet discussed online. Moreover, it takes a lot of expertise and insight to search very specific information online and distinguish solid data from crap. That struck me with Leolaia's posts as I soon as I got on JWD.

Experts are not infallible.

Sure. Neither are non-experts and anti-intellectualists.

They ought to repudiate threads like this out of humility. But knowledge puffs up.
    That's very poor psychology imo. There's often more pride in repudiating compliments. Have you ever thought what you would do should such a thread dedicated to you? Damned if you endorse it, damned if you blame it, damned if you ignore it...
  • proplog2
    proplog2

Narkissos:

I am NOT anti-intellectual. I am against surrendering ones intellect to others. I am not attacking Leolaia - I am attacking the proto-cult nature of heaping praise on an individual which is the intent of this thread.

And I think it says something about a person when they don't repudiate such praise.

• lawrence
    lawrence

proplog2-

Who dumped you on your head as a child? Did your parents ever love you? What made you so mean and nasty? Naysayer go away!

• VM44
    VM44

Here is the research report Leolaia wrote and posted on 11-Jun-05 02:38.

I think she wrote additional material on the topic as well, perhaps someone can post links to it if they can find it. --VM44

The facts on crucifixion, stauros, and the "torture stake"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/92381/1.ashx

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    AlanF and Blondie are "Scholars"???? C'mon. I'm a big fan of them but I don't think they're "scholars".

Yes, Mini. The celebrated JWD scholars.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I am against surrendering ones intellect to others

Have you ever been convinced of anything by anyone? Or have you ever convinced anyone of anything? In either case, did that imply "surrendering one's intellect"?

Nobody knows everything, much less now than ever before. To use your computer, your car or your camera, to vote or to decide anything, you have to rely on tons of second-hand information. That's why you need experts (and the peer debate among experts) in many fields to enlighten your choice. Still, the choice is yours and depends on a number of factors besides information and intellect.

I am not attacking Leolaia - I am attacking the proto-cult nature of heaping praise on an individual which is the intent of this thread.

You have attacked the quality of her work, in a rather unfair way imo. You can disagree with the conclusions of any "expert" for a number of reasons without questioning his/her qualifications -- unless you are very insecure about your own opinions.

Being xJWs has taught a lot of us to beware about the exaltation of "humility" and the censorship of "praise": they are powerful tools for mind control too.

And I think it says something about a person when they don't repudiate such praise.

Probably, but what does it actually say? In the present case it may only mean that the said person has not even read about it yet. And whatever her reaction it will always be ambiguous and subject to good or bad interpretation -- to any honest person praise is a very embarrassing thing.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I am attacking the proto-cult nature of heaping praise on an individual which is the intent of this thread.

I'm sorry but I just spent 30 years of my life walking on eggshells in an effort to avoid heaping praise on any individual. The result was I lost most of relatives and friends and was left with "friends' who only loved me if I refused to heap praise on any individual. So I didn't celebrate the birthdays of my daughters or my wife, and certainly not my own, and I got concerned whenever any of my new "friends" wound up in the limelight for any reason, whether it was for achieving something or excelling at a skill or just wanting to observe their longevity at, say, marriage. I ducked the limelight myself and stifled my talents and squandered what could have been a worthwhile and meaningful life.

As a result, I am now all about heaping praise on individuals for all these and many other accomplishments, achievements, milestones, and events, regardless of what dubs and still-dubs-at-heart think or say. If heaping praise on someone worthy bothers you, that says more about you and the work you still have left to do than it does about anyone else.

• yesidid
    yesidid

Thank you Wilyman,

I was about to reply to prolog and minimus when I read your post.

You said it much better than I:

As a result, I am now all about heaping praise on individuals for all these and many other accomplishments, achievements, milestones, and events, regardless of what dubs and still-dubs-at-heart think or say. If heaping praise on someone worthy bothers you, that says more about you and the work you still have left to do than it does about anyone else.
  • hillary_step
    hillary_step

lol....I heap praise on Narkissos especially on this thread, for being able to dismantle a very listless and sad argument very quickly.

HS

• jgnat
    jgnat

Praise is not sinful, sheesh. Neither is accepting it.

Proplog, my opinion of YOUR scholarship is permanently tarnished by your premature prediction of the end of the world. A couple years back, I believe. Even less honorable, in my opinion, you chose to disappear from the board for several months rather than take your "error" on the chin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit