Are witnesses Christians?

by KW13 58 Replies latest jw friends

• agapa37
    agapa37

Well just take for example "WAR"! Killing your enemy is something that Jesus spoke out against and encourage his disciple not to do.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    Well just take for example "WAR"! Killing your enemy is something that Jesus spoke out against and encourage his disciple not to do.

But what about Jesus' daddy? Didn't he encourage war?

• agapa37
    agapa37

Matt. 26:52: "Jesus said to him: ‘Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword.’" (Could there have been any higher cause for which to fight than to safeguard the Son of God? Yet, Jesus here indicated that those disciples were not to resort to weapons of physical warfare.)

Isa. 2:2-4: "It must occur in the final part of the days that the mountain of the house of Jehovah will become firmly established above the top of the mountains . . . And he will certainly render judgment among the nations and set matters straight respecting many peoples. And they will have to beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning shears. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, neither will they learn war anymore." (Individuals out of all nations must personally decide what course they will pursue. Those who have heeded Jehovah’s judgment give evidence that he is their God.)

2 Cor. 10:3, 4: "Though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly, but powerful by God for overturning strongly entrenched things." (Paul here states that he never resorted to fleshly weapons, such as trickery, high-sounding language, or carnal weapons, to protect the congregation against false teachings.)

Luke 6:27, 28: "I [Jesus Christ] say to you who are listening, Continue to love your enemies, to do good to those hating you, to bless those cursing you, to pray for those who are insulting you.

Just from those few scriptures and there are more it is quit clear to me that Jesus does not condon Christians to go to war and kill thier enemy.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I see. The issue of christians in war is a very difficult one, granted, but I don't think it's as clear-cut as you would wish. I say this as someone who has served as an advocate for Dubs claiming exemption from military service in the Vietnam War. Of course, at the time I saw it as much more 'black and white' as i do now that I've become a christian and not simply a servant of the WitchTower Society. Whether Jesus was saying what is claimed in that post is very debatable; after all, he was addressing a situation of personal conflict, not nations at war. Incidentally, you may be interested to know that many christians make a personal decision (note I said "personal"- no-one told them) to avoid military servicer in a war zone. I have also seen that the differentiation between christians and dubs in moral areas is not so large as the dubs would pretend that they are.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

[misread post]

• agapa37
    agapa37

Incidentally, you may be interested to know that many christians make a personal decision (note I said "personal"- no-one told them) to avoid military servicer in a war zone. I have also seen that the differentiation between christians and dubs in moral areas is not so large as the dubs would pretend that they are I agree.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

First of all the idea that you can "teach" someone to be Christian is totally ludicrous to begin with. Christianity is a faith in Christ and comes from within. Many in the WT simply are following the WT as its God but there are some I knew who would ask themselves "what would Jesus do?" and then they would do it. These are the ones who are Christian, meaning followers of Jesus Christ. So, I think there is a mixture in there as well as in all religions claiming to be Christian. It comes down to the individual and their heart - comforming to rules and regulations and "looking christian" on the outside have nothing to do with it. This is one thing the WT does not understand. Lilly

• agapa37
    agapa37

First of all the idea that you can "teach" someone to be Christian is totally ludicrous to begin with. Christianity is a faith in Christ and comes from within

Well I think Jesus would have something to say about that statement. As a matter of fact he has addressed it. Notice:

Matthew 28:19-20

"Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things."

It sounds as if to me that teaching people to be Christ like is a commision from Jesus himself.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

I have always believed I was a christian - whether as a dub or later.

But......many christians would disagree with me and i think i understand their reasoning.

We have to admit that the dubs have many christ-dishonoring practices.

For example, they have instituted the annual "Great Christ Rejection Feast" where they pass the wine and the bread (Christ's body and blood) amongst themselves, then they reject it!!!!!

They also fail to teach the true nature of christ - was he merely a created angel? I don't think that's what the Bible teaches me.

Witnesses refuse to be called witnesses of Jesus in direct disobedience to Jesus' own words. They don't even want with all their hearts to be with him when they die. Yet isn't that what Paul expressed? Yet still the WETS teaches otherwise by inviting people to share in the rewards of their spiritual materialism (the "paradise™")

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    It sounds as if to me that teaching people to be Christ like is a commision from Jesus himself.

True,but it's not simply a matter of converting people as a salesman would in selling a product.

Note Romans 1 verses 6 and 7 andRomans 6 verses 28 and 30 for example.

It's God Himself who doer the calling - christians may speak of their faith and seek others' discipleship but in the end it' God's Will that matters, not our efforts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit