Are witnesses Christians?

by KW13 58 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Well I think Jesus would have something to say about that staement. As a matter of fact he has addressed it. Notice:

Matthew 28:19-20

"Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things."

It sounds as if to me that teaching people to be Christ like is a commision from Jesus himself.

As a complete agnostic I am arguing on an hypothetical level but I have to agree with this point...the commission did allegedly come from Christ and that much seems for sure if that translation was correct. Firstly I would like to see what other translations have to say about this point and whether they say the same.

If the translation is accurate then the question remains as to whether Jehovahs Witnesses actually do step upto the mark on this front and I am not sure they do; I believe they hide behind the facade of teaching others to be christlike when in reality they are training their new generation of sales people.

DB74

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Damn you Ozzie you got there before me on the sales people comment lol

DB74

• agapa37
    agapa37

I agree ozzie and what made Jesus such a great teacher is, He not only taught them with words but also showed them how to act by example. Something that we all need to be aware of constantly.

• Jourles
    Jourles

The fact that they call themselves "Jehovah's Witnesses," sort of speaks for itself. Hell, even the org places itself ahead of Jesus in terms of being called a savior.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

agapa,

that scripture you quoted does says to make diciples of others and teach them the things Christ commanded but you are misunderstanding it entirely. When people convert to Christianity it is due to an inward desire to follow and serve Jesus Christ. I am not saying you cannot learn more about Christ from other diciples you can. But the WT believes it can teach and tell people how to behave like Christians. They can but only in a limited way. Most JWs do not make the heart conversion to Christ. They may follow what the WT says in public and "appear" to be a Christian but who knows what they are doing in private?

This is the same in other groups too. You can teach them what Christ would do but you cannot MAKE them do it. You can tell them to love Christ but cannot MAKE them love him. They do teach as an organization but cannot claim anymore True Christians as any other group can. Why? because they cannot read someones heart thats why. Many who cannot keep up with their "works schedule" they would label as unchristian but may have the most love in their hearts for Christ. And I have seen many with good reputations simply by performing all the "works" of the WT but have wicked hearts!

This is the whole problem with the WT - it bases its judging on the outside appearance NOT the inside the way Christ would judge us.

Hence, I stand by my statement. You cannot teach anyone to be a Christian. It comes from within first. These ones will stick to Jesus no matter what. The WT has only taught many how to act to "look like" Christians but most never really become a christian and do not have a personal relationship with christ.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

No. Not doctrinally, not according to mainstream Christian religions, and most certainly not according to the characteristics Jesus said would identify his followers. Jehovah's Witnesses are preachers of hatred - hatred of everything and everyone who is not under the direct control of the Watchtower's corporations.

W

• Jourles
    Jourles

Yep, what Lil said.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I agree with Blondie.
    JWs believe in Jesus, although they may not know the real Jesus of the Bible. But this has been done by their false teachers. When I was in the org God was with me, and I know he is with many that are currently in who desire to serve him. They want to be good Christians, and there are many in the org that put this ahead of being a JW (without really knowing it). God sees the good we do and is willing to work with it, but if sees a way for us to get to understand and know him better he will pull us from that org and show us the better path.

• KW13
    KW13
    No. Not doctrinally, not according to mainstream Christian religions, and most certainly not according to the characteristics Jesus said would identify his followers. Jehovah's Witnesses are preachers of hatred - hatred of everything and everyone who is not under the direct control of the Watchtower's corporations.

as a whole the org is certainly not christian, the doctrine e.t.c but some individuals are ok, i know some very very good people...

• Warlock
    Warlock

If you believe Jesus was the son of God, that he is "the way, the truth and the life", you are a Christian....period. As a J.W., I believed that, and still do.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit