How Do You Respond To: "Where Else Will We Go"?

by minimus 60 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

As I mentioned earlier, the disciple never asked "where?". Regarding truth being "plainly obvious", I must think about all the billions of people who have searched for "Truth" over the centuries and still weren't 100% sure if they had it.....I don't know if it's so obvious.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p
    I don't know if it's so obvious.

I said it should be plainly obvious. If it isn't, than perhaps there is no "truth" to be found. The person will have to exercise their own judgment.

• JH
    JH

I remember back when I was starting to fade, an elder noticed this and told me, "I know the Org. isn't perfect but Where else can we go"....

In his mind, it was the truth, although imperfect.

• gumby
    gumby

I totally understand where Minimus is coming from.

In a witnesses eyes, truth is in doctrine and good works.

Witnesses are fully convinced that war is wrong, politics are all corrupt, holidays are indeed pagan, the good new is about a paradise earth, hell is not hot, god is not a trinity, and the preaching work is a command from Jesus himself. They feel that NOBODY on this planet follows these guidelines or even comes close to seeing things the way they do...so to them.....there is nowhere a person can go that will teach them these truths they believe deep in their heart. Even IF they have many doubts about the organisation or even the bible itself....they feel this is the closest they'll ever come to the truth.

The only way to overcome this is to be lucky enough to prove to them that the organisation doesn't really have gods stamp of approval and to show them why it doesn't. If you can get this far.....then they can look for and decide on what they now feel is "TRUTH".......just like we all did.

The other alternative is that they get stumbled enough by something within the organisation to the point that they begin to search for truth themselves.

Gumby

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Nice explanation, gumby. I prefer to think of it on more fundamental terms (I don't disagree with anyone, I'm just expressing ideas), that all this is simply a matter of trying to answer life's Big Questions: "Who am I? where am I from? and where am I going? what is the nature of happiness? how do I know if I am on the right path?" These questions have been asked for thousands of years, most notably by Plato and Socrates as well as Buddha and St. Augustine, and also thousands of lesser known writers. I think the important thing is to have the courage to ask these questions, and not be so frantic and irrational to believe someone else's explanation without testing it against our own experiences.

Asking the question "where else will we go?" is a way to avoid those above questions. To ask them might incur pain, confusion, despair, depression, and general anxiety. But I choose that than to be led along with only dissonance to hope for.

• minimus
    minimus

Gumby, you are so smart, too. I agree that what I think changes most people's ideas of the "Truth" is that they get stumbled over something or get treated like sh*t.

• juni
    juni

Take time to get to know the REAL YOU. Your likes and dislikes. RELAX and enjoy not living in a whirlwind. FIND NEW FRIENDS WHO REALLY CARE ABOUT YOU. AMONG THOSE FRIENDS FIND A SOUL MATE FRIEND - SOMEONE YOU CAN CONFIDE IN W/HOW YOU FEEL PREFERRABLY SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCES. LOVE YOURSELF ENOUGH TO MAKE THESE HARD CHANGES. YOU WILL GET THE SUPPORT YOU NEED SO THAT YOU CAN MOVE ON W/YOUR LIFE.

JUNI NICE TO SEE YOUR POST GUMBY! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN?

• V
    V

Is it "where" or "whom"??

(John 6:68) . . .Simon Peter answered him: "Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life;...

This is the definitive example of how the Society replaces Jesus with an organisation. The organisation is the mediator, the salvation, the way, truth and the life. Not Jesus.

Is that Christain?

• gumby
    gumby

Hi Juni The only problem with a witness making a life transformation such as you described is that most are socially handicapped, have low self esteem, or don't REALLY believe these things you described can truely exist outside of the organisation, hence they never make it that far.

I agree that what I think changes most people's ideas of the "Truth" is that they get stumbled over something or get treated like sh*t.

I've known many who have left for these reasons. Apathaty is also a growing threat to the congregations as many are realising the life a witness is to live is unrealistic and old fashioned and just plain isn't a reasonable one. Those that leave on these reasons are always suseptable to return....unlike those who now KNOW the organisation is not 'truth" and they know all the reasons WHY they are not.

Gumby....*pinches Minimus on his butt for saying I was smart*

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

V's response is what I would counter with first. I figure we'd argue a bit longer about that--whomever is trying to keep me from leaving--but there should also be a stable of scriptures to show that relationship with Christ does not come only through organization. That'll be my homework, I reckon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit