by AK - Jeff 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

hope all goes well.

thinking positive thoughts

Josie

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

Hey there Jeff. So sorry to hear it. Hope you get more answers and that they're good ones!

• done4good
    done4good

My thoughts are with you, Jeff. Don't worry excessively about it, the important thing is you already went to the doctor, and are getting it taken care of. Most skin cancers are highly treatable, and don't require long-term care, (ie chemo).

j

• rebel8
    rebel8

That is so scary. Hope all goes well for you.

www.cancer.org has some info.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I can't believe they did not give you more info than they did. Most skin cancers are treatable .The one you want to keep a really close eye on is melanoma. or pre-melanoma. It is treatable of course, but it tends to return, say 5 yrs after they remove one. I have to get checked 2x yr b/c this kind of cancer runs in our family and it can does take lives. Many people assume b/c it is a skin cancer than it can be cured always. This is not ture. Also, melanoma is not always related to sun exposure, it can and does pop up in places that have had no exposure.

My derm does a full body check 2x yr and if he finds any kind of mole, he does a biopsy and then removes the mole. I wait for the lab,and if it is a pre -melanoma or any other type of cancers or pre-cancer , I go back in and they have to do a surgery in office to remove the entire area around the suspicious mole. it can be quite a lot and requires stitches. i have to have 2-3 removed every time i go in. So far I am getting only pre-melanoma's but I'm grateful my doc is proactive.

So most likely if they told you you have a skin cancer, you will have to go in the office and he'll have to do a surgical incision around the area. Especially if it melanoma.

• blondie
    blondie

Skin cancer, especially when caught early is very treatable. I'm sure the news will be good, Jeff.

Blondie

• damselfly
    damselfly

Echoing what other posters have said, skin cancer is very treatable when caught early. I would try not to worry about it too much until the pathology report is back. It's very likely that removing the mole also removed all of the cancerous cells.

You were smart to insist it get looked after. My (24 yr old) co-worker watched a mole on her leg spread, change colors and grow for 3 YEARS!!!!! before she finally got it looked at. This was only after she showed us (a massage therapist and estheticians, we're trained to look out for ominous looking skin lesions) and we had to beg her to make an appointment. She now has very aggressive melenoma that has spread to the surrounding tissue. It's very serious and the outcome is iffy.

Please keep us posted and be sure to wear your sunscreen.

Dams

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

(((Jeff)))

hope everything works out well, keeping you in my thoughts.

• Poztate
    Poztate

NUTS...It's bad enough having the elders getting on your case without having to worry about skin cancer. Having said that many skin cancers are easily treatable and will not cause a problem for you. Best of "luck" to you and may the news you get be positive POZ.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

So many wonderful and supportive comments here. Thank you.

I will be calling in a few minutes to schedule the follow up proceedure to remove cells in the area. Since I learned of the biopsy results two days ago, my sister told me that she had a mole removed when she was young that was malagnant. They took a pretty good section from her back, and in those days the doc did not even suggest follow ups later, and she was ignorant of the matter too. Fortunately it was all removed and she never has had a problem. She said she had never even let it cross her mind for years, until I told her of my situation.

Melanoma is the real worry child in this class of cancers - though none should be ignored or course. I have not got to meet with doc yet to see what type of cancer this was, but the casual reaction from his office seems to indicate that it was of the non-melanoma sort. I hope so.

I will keep the board informed and I am sure it will be just fine. Thanx again

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit