How do you deal with telemarketers?

by Outaservice 43 Replies latest jw friends

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I used to just say "could you please hang on a sec", then I lay the receiver down and go about my business for about 30 minutes and then come back and hang up the phone.

• LeftBehind
    LeftBehind

last time one called i told the lady i was on the do not call list and she hung up on me. how rude. i guess she did not want her company to pay that $11,000 fine.

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

At the office we have a contract with our copier lease that includes toner. However, I always get calls that go like this:

Telemarketer: Hi, I'm calling from the company that supplies your toner.

Me: Oh, hey. How are you?

Telemarketer: I'm good, but I have some bad news for you. I'm calling to let you know the price of your toner went up. I need to confirm the model number of the copier with you to make sure our prices are accurate.

Me: Sharp blah blah blah

Telemarketer: Great. That's what I have in my files. Yeah the prices did go up significantly.

Me: Oh, that's not good.

Telemarketer: I'm sorry. However, I do have a few I can sell you at the old price since we didn't give you enough notice.

Me: What was the old price?

Telemarketer: $$$$

Me: Wow that's alot more than what we were paying.

Telemarketer: How much were you paying.

Me: Nothing, you see we have a contract...

CLICK - They hang up as they know they've been caught.

• Mulan
    Mulan

If I answer the phone from an "Unknown Caller" and they don't immediately start talking, I hang up. The automatic dialers usually have a pause before anyone answers.

Yesterday, the caller responded right away and I said "I'm sorry I can't understand a word you're saying".

Usually, I tell them I am on the do not call list and not to call me again. One of them told me it doesn't apply to telemarketers that you've purchased from, and that our number is a business number and the list doesn't apply.

That made me mad so I said, "you had better not DARE call me again because I will NEVER contribute to you".

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I get a lot at work, so I put them on hold. It drives up their talk time costing the company money

• BookOfJude
    BookOfJude

I used to be nice to them... until they just kept getting pushy and the same people kept calling back. Now I just hang up :)

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

When they start talking I hang up

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

When they identify themselves, I say Im not interested and hang up right then and there.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

As soon as they start reading off their teleprompter...click

Dismembered

• The Mayor of Turiwhate
    The Mayor of Turiwhate

Yes, they can be quite a pain in the #rs% - rather like certain other people we all know!

I have an unlisted number, but still we get the occassional call from Telemarketers.

I just wait until they either get pushy, or start asking personal questions. (And inevitably, they will do either - or both).

When that happens, I just hang up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit