How do you deal with telemarketers?

by Outaservice 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Outaservice
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

If not a charity, I ask for their name and C/B #. Then I report them. I am on a do not call list and I mean it!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Oh, I forgot to tell you what I say.....

"I'm very interested in what you have to say, but first I'd like to ask you a question. Would you enjoy getting the Watchtower magazine form me and studying our books?"

Click..............Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I say that I never answer any kinds of questions or take part in any types of polls on the phone. I also tell them that I don't conduct ANY kind of business by phone either. If they have something I "must have" then please mail me the information.....then I hang up!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Theres two types - one type are the ones from call centres in India. You can tell because there is a perceptible delay before the line clicks on and they say 'hello'. I hang up in that delay time before they say hello. If they manage to make it to hello, I say 'hello hello' like I cant hear them then hang up.

the other type is not fom India, so theres no delay before they say hello. So they say 'hello is that Mrs Kitten' or 'Can I speak to Mrs Kitten' or 'am I speaking to Mrs Kitten'. I work on the assumption that anyone who has dialled a number and is not sure whether its me or not is a telemarketer, so I hang up.

I never say anything, just hang up. Its way easier than my last method, which was to explain really nicely that I was sorry but I didnt want double glazing a new kitchen a new religion a time share in the algarve my garden landscaped a credit card a mortgage etc etc

• Warlock
    Warlock

Usually, they are trying to sell you something under the guise of saving you money. What I tell them is I don't need to save money. After the shock wears off, I just tell them I have an unlimited source of income.

Warlock

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I pay to have an unpublished number, so I don't get many calls. For the most part I let everything go to voicemail. If no one leaves a message I assume they had nothing to say that was worth listening to.

I used to get a lot of calls from mastercard, always asking me to transfer balances to my card. I was polite for a while but I eventually got fed up with them. They are constantly telling us to avoid doing credit card transactions over the phone unless we initiate the call, and with good reason. Yet THEY are the ones who are constantly calling me to do financial transactions over the phone. I gave them a blast for this a few months ago, and they haven't bothered me since then.

W

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I really hate the ones that won't let you get in a word edgewise! As soon as you answer the phone, their off to the races! I just have to hang up on them. If they're not going to let me talk, I'm not going to listen. Well, I'd tell them that I didn't want it anyway even if they did let me get a word in.

I, usually, say if I wanted it, I'd be calling you.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

sometimes I play games with them and spend 5 minutes on the phone and seem real interested and then put the phone down - it all depends

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall/

Check to see if your state has something similar besides the federal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit