How do you deal with telemarketers?

by Outaservice 43 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

I say "I'm not interested in your offer. Thank you. Goodbye" and I hang up before they can get a word in.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

It got so bad for us, that we finally cancelled the land line. Now we only use our cell phones. Only friends, family and work have the numbers. This solved our problem.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I reported them. I called the Police. I called Fedral Agencies. I call the Attorney General. They cannot do anyhing according to them. THey told me to change my phone number. I won't.

I bought an automated receptionist It talks for 3 minutes and then you have to push 1 2 3 or four. Round and around you go. THey still keep calling I see, but they cant leave a message and they cant speak to anyone. I give my friends the code to bypass the auto or if your have a lot of time to waste you can leave a message. Hopefully in a couple of years I can get them from bugging me or maybe they will get locked up for aggravated harrasment.

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

I like to play with them. I stand in the backyard where my cordless phone starts to cut out and answer their questions with nonsense gibberish;

Phone: Hiss, snap, crackle
    Telemarketer: ...so are you interested?
    Me: beeboo... habablab...

They try really hard to make out what I'm saying before they catch on and then they get mad.

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

We have a calling number display, so when a "Private" number comes up we don't answer. We are also on a do not call list.

But

Sometimes I do answer: a couple of scenes:

1) Hello (allow 5 seconds of conversation then interrupt) Oh! Could you please hang on, I need to do something urgent. (Put phone down & come back an hour later)

2) (Especially for Indian Call centres) After 20 seconds interrupt and ask "Where are you calling from" If they answer "Sydney" Start a discussion about the weather - opposite to what it is. When they tag along call them liars and tell them never to call back

3) They ask for Mrs HAL. Unfortunately she has never been known as Mrs HAL. I then tell them that their database is corrupt (as there is no Mrs HAL) and then hang up

But my elderly mother has the best line - she lets them go for 5-10 minutes & then tells them that she is 90+ and lives in a retirement village. She calls it a public service as she has stopped someone else's time being wasted.

• La Capra
    La Capra

I just don't answer the phone. Some have started leaving automated messages, which I also ignore. What drives me nuts is that my neighborhood seems to get lots of door to door sales people who have started to target the dinner hour. I walk up the peep hole to make sure it isn't a neighbor, and when they hear me they have actually started to talk, even if I don't open the door, and don't say anything. Last night it was the pest control company that comes around every other day, and tonight it was someone selling windows.

I have got to call the pest control company and ask them if they have anything that eradicates door to door salespeople...(I asked one that question once-he wasn't amused....)

Shoshana

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I start talking and telling them about my charity AND I DON'T SHUT UP!!! Then I give them an address and a name and such to the heads of the organization and tell them that they do help communities, but they have to have their tax id. lol It is really fun to take the conversation away from them.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

I get calls quite often from some group that claim to be local police or sheriffs departments that are asking for donations for bicycles or some thing for needy children.

I tell them that I don't like the local police dept. or the sheriffs dept. Then ask me why and I say well they aren't doing their job. If they were you make believe telemarketers would all be in jail.

Then they vigorously try to convince me they really are what they claim. As I hang up.

I have asked the local cops if they are in any way a part of this and they tell me no.

Outoftheorg

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The worst kind of telemarketers - the credit card company that called to say we hadn't responded to their "low" offer...answer - I shredded it!

• barry
    barry

This is what happened to a telemarketer who took me on about 6 months ago.

Barry, Can I help you ?

Telemarketer, Are you the owner of the buisness

Barry ,yes

Telemarketer, There will be a reduction of fees for youre phone service.

Now I know what this call is about and someone from overseas is on the line

Barry, Please you know Im the manager of the buisness here please may I talk to the manager there is he in? I will only deal with youre manager

Telemarketer, He isnt here zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I here nothing from the other end

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit