not since Harding

by teejay 104 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

larc,

: There is something in Economics called the Laufler Curve, which relates to how assetts are used.

Would that be Arthur Laffer? Laffer coined the term "Laffer Curve." He is/was a San Diego boy and considered a genius by many. If nothing more than just a great wit, he is still a great read. I enjoy his stuff a whole bunch.

"if you lined up all the economists in the entire world end-to-end, it would be a very good thing." - Brilliant Quipist, but Unknown

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• larc
    larc

Farkel,

Yes, I think you are right on that. You see, I am pretty good on logic, and not too shabby on information retrieval, but I ain't worth a shit on spelling. I think I must be dyslexic. I keep pondering if there is a Dog! If so, what is Dog's nature. Is he triune or not?

• teejay
    teejay

Damn, Danny! Sorry we couldn't get no wine, my man! Hell... try a brewski... they ain't bad... after the third one...

Are you a bit testy because of what I said about that book you wanted me to read? Why, don't take it so personal about what that old fogey wrote because One-Of-The-Greatest-Presidents-In-American-History wouldn't kiss his ass. I tolja I'd read it. It's probably a reeeely good book. Seriously. I'm not kidding. I mean it. No, I really MEAN that.

As far as your note, my goodness!! So many "blah blahs." You know my eyes is bad... thought I was seeing double. Look, I've entertained you two with this tangential line of discussion away from my original thesis (that dubya is a dumbass goof ball who's in the position he's in only because, well... I never got into that, did I?), and don't think I haven't noticed. I'll comment on one thing you said.

Of course blah blah blah blah Brady started this bill while Big Ronnie was in office blah blah blah...so go ahead and give 'liar boy' credit for taking out his pen.

Funny. I mean, waaaay funny. (this thread has all of a sudden turned into sheer entertainment!!)

By "Big Ronnie," I'm thinking you mean the former actor/turned President actor Reagan, yes? Well, wasn't there another prez in between... uh... "Big Ronnie"... and One-Of-The-Greatest-Presidents-In-American-History? Why couldn't HE, the knucklehead that came in between who kept the seat warm for My Man, why couldn't HE get the Brady Bill done in four years?

Hummmm?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which makes for a nice segue to you, Larc.

I noticed a recurring pattern with your nice little response, too, and it WAS nice. Really. I mean that.

First off, I didn't know that we were comparing Clinton's record to Bush, Sr.'s record.

Beyond that, correct me if I'm wrong, but did I keep reading the word... uh... what was it? Oh yeah, "bipartisan"? Your analysis of Clintons real ACHIEVEMENTS had me rolling! I KNEW you would say that! You all do! That's all you CAN say. You can't say he was ineffective or dumb or, or, or... whatever. You have to fall back on the same ol' lame argument...

"Oh, ummm, ummm, why... yes... well... he did do this and that, and, (to borrow Danny's expression) blah, blah... but it was no doubt due to "bipartisan" blah blah."

Well, to that I say: As candidate, wasn't one of the Great Delegator's calling cards the fact that he was a "Uniter, not a Divider"? hmm...

Yes, I believe he said that. Repeatedly. Not only that, he said it over and over again. Well, I'm thinking, "Isn't that what you're saying Clinton did?" Isn't that what a president DOES? We don't have a dictatorship here. For anything to get done on a national level, accomplishments must be bipartisan.

The fact remains, Clinton got it done. Bush has been in office nine months and other than pissing off the Japanese and impressing England's Tony Blair with the depths of his ignorance, not to mention his commitment to rape the American environment so his buddies who put him in office get richer, and his arrogance in trying to undo everyone of Clinton's good deeds, what has Bush, Jr. done? <rhetorical question>

George W is THE most unqualified person to ever hold the office, and he has done absolutely squat to put a stop to that assessment. Period.

peace,
    tj

• larc
    larc

Teejay,

Thank you for an easy pitch right over the center of the plate.

Any comments on:

1. NAFTA. You brought it up.
    2. The Family Leave Act and its importance compared to previous legislation.
    3. The Brady Bill.
    4. The Laffer Curve in Economics and its implications.

Your turn.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Hey T-man,

Tounge'n cheek, all my blah's were supposed to be me talkin not you. Geez man your getting to be just like Seeker.

Its late, I could'nt get Shelby, Farkel, or Larc, to be foolish along with me, now I got my buddy upset with me. Hell I even went over to Naeblis 'boob' thread, and all I found there was Captn COMF posting pictures of his girlfriend. Tried to be silly there...Iam going to bed.

Poooo on you all

BearPouting

Ps..goodnite boy's and girls.

• larc
    larc

teejay,

You ignored the issue of the early failures of Clinton, and how he would be judged early on in his career. This holds true of all presidents, assessment wise. For example, Harry Truman was judged as a poor president when in office and many years afterwards. This was probably due to the great admiration the American public had for Roosevelt. It wasn't until many years later that Truman became recognized as a very good president. How Clinton and Bush stand in the perspective of our history will take time to determine.

Regarding my beer, you over estimate my drinking capacity. I only got a 6 pack, not a case. I had my chips earlier, with some sloppy joes my wife made. She also made liver patei (sp?), which is an odd combination, but who cares.

Somewhere in your last response you said something about "you people". Well, what kind of people am I? Are you stereotyping me? For shame.

• larc
    larc

teejay,

How can you justify NAFTA? 360,000 people received training after they lost their factory jobs, so they could move on. The average change in pay after they were re-employed was 77% of their previous pay. The number of those who were dislocated and were not eligible for training grants was much larger. Employees of part suppliers and restaurants that closed near the factory that closed, were not eligible for training assistance. The estimate is that a total of 766,000 employees in manufacturing were affected and another 112,000 in service industries were affected.

Since you choose to spend your time on other threads, rather than addressing this issue, I thought I would give you some facts to chew on.

• teejay
    teejay

Larc,

You realize, of course, that continuing this protracted line of discussion, a dissection of Clinton's achievements, takes the discussion away from my original thesis, one that you have done nothing to annul the arguments I have made about dubya. I want you to know, I realize it, too. As far as the following comments on the four subject you mentioned, I will give you my personal views:

1. NAFTA. You brought it up.

Orgininally, I was opposed to the concept. Now, I favor it. It appears that it was meant to boost the economy more in Mexico than here. Overall, I like that idea. In my state a right to work is up for a vote and the debate is heated. Many of the arguments mirror those surrounding NAFTA, one of which you mentioned -- the decrease in American wages. There are no easy answers in world economy.

2. The Family Leave Act and its importance compared to previous legislation.

I am not aware of the changes that they FLA made on previous legislation. Overall, though, it was a law that required the support of a President who had an inclusive perspective, who sees the world as being full of different types of people with different needs. Someone like Clinton.

3. The Brady Bill.

I'm still a little suspicious of laws like this one. I wonder who the real target is. Has it made the streets safer? I don't know... I've never seen an assault rifle on the street, before or since the law was passed.

4. The Laffer Curve in Economics and its implications.

I have not and most likely will not study economics to any great extent. My only brush with the subject academically was one semester in eighth grade. As I recall, the text was poorly written and the teachers seemed even more disinterested in the subject than the class, intent on getting it over with as soon as possible. There may have been some mention of 'curves' but I'm fairly certain there was not one word said about them in connection with "Laffer." I'm sure it is of extreme importance... could you help me out?

Now, here's a couple of things I'd like to get YOUR viewpoints on, if you don't mind.

----------------------------------

1. George W now admits that he was found guilty, arrested, and convicted for of drunk driving. He also had his driver's license suspended. He's had a drinking problem for many years, still may, but that's not the problem. Just about every one of the Founding Fathers was a bigtime boozer, so I can't fault Jr. The problem I have is that he's repeatedly lied about it.

At various times, he said there was no arrest, he said there was no court hearing, he said he only drank once a month. All lies. Now, after basing his campaign on restoring "integrity" to the White House and the "family values" bullshit, how do you feel knowing that

a) he's lied again and again about his problem (and other things, too) and,

b) he carries the distinction of being the only U.S. President who was elected after being convicted of a crime.

2. Everyone knows that during the war years Clinton was a pot smokin', draft dodgin' hippy as opposed to dubya -- a gung-ho GI itching to "do his duty." Riiiight. In view of the fact that golden boy is about to send young men to their deaths in battle, consider this:

In 1968, the fighting and dying in Vietnam was at it's fiercest. When he was two weeks from being drafted, when the National Guard in Texas had a waiting list a year and a half long, Bush and his family friends pulled strings and he was admitted the same day he applied. Bush himself admits lobbying commander Staudt, and oil buddies called high level state politicians who approved him. Staudt's unit was infamous for housing politically connected and celebrity draft dodgers -- Senator Lloyd Bentsen's son was in the unit. So was Senator John Tower's. The oil buddy who had helped pull the strings for dubya had two sons in the unit.

Okay. Two months after joining, he took 2 months leave to go to Florida to work on the campaign of a Republican senator. It wasn't the last time he took a vacation from the Guard -- he took off in 1970 to work on his dad's campaign, and an extensive 'vacation' again in 1972 to work in Alabama. It was about this time that he went AWOL. National Guard records show no sign of him attending any drills or performing any service for nearly a year. Still, Bush was not disciplined but received an honorable discharge.

3. How he came to be a part owner of the Texas Rangers - mentioned way earlier.

Thanks.
    tj

• teejay
    teejay

Danny,

Stop pouting, big man. I caught the tone of your note and was trying to copy it. This online thing sometimes masks our intent. Comparing me to Seeker was a low blow. Take it back. You oughta know, of all the people in these parts, you are one of the last I hope to offend.

Peace,
    todd

• teejay
    teejay

By the way, Larc,

When I said "you people" I meant people like you and my Friend Danny who refuse to acknowledge Clinton's greatness. Time is on MY side, however. History will force you to see it one day. When that happens, I promise not to say "I told you so." Excuse the wide grin, though. And, am I stereotyping you? In this area, yes. You have a bias against Clinton and FOR anything Republican, regardless of how valueless it is. A sorry Republican is better than a Great Democrat. That's the view from here, anyway. You have, in fact, been stereotyped.

Since you choose to spend your time on other threads, rather than addressing this issue, I thought I would give you some facts to chew on.

I haven't spent enough time in this thread, Larc? I haven't addressed this issue?

You have shown an out of control ego several times before, I have noticed. It seems that the only thing that matters to you is what YOU want to discuss, and if even the author of the thread asks questions, they soon become secondary in importance to what you deem the true matter at hand.

Excuse me, but you fail to see that you are the one that has not addressed the real issue -- dubya's ineptness and lack of qualifications... notice the title of the thread? -- and I've let it slide, placating you with answers to YOUR questions dealing with a topic that lies outside the boundary of this discussion, answering them quite well, if I say so myself. All the while, you ignore my justifiable comments about the CURRENT prez.

Just so you know, I've noticed that while this discussion is going on, so are others, and I take advantage of the freedom to move around. I never spend my time on any one thread, tapping my desk, waiting for responses to come up. Give me a break, Larc. Go work in your garden.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit