not since Harding

by teejay 104 Replies latest jw friends

• bigboi
    bigboi

Tj:

Yeah ol Geogre W. One thing you can say about all our Presidents is that they sure are a bunch of characters. I think Mr. Bush knows all these facts you've presented about him too well. I hinestly think if the election hadn't been so close he'd be a lot more moderate than he presents himself. It was a wise decision on his part to get such an experienced group behind him. As far him using his name for the hookup I can't hate. That is the modern American way and it doesn't surprise me on bit that the highest office in the land was attained by someone put to use his familial connections. There is no doubt this guy is no self-made man. However, how many of the really rich and powerful in this country are? I just hope he continues to delgate tasks to his cabinet. I'm no big fan of Bush, but he's got my support 1000% during this latest of our country's adventures.

ONE....

bigboi

"life's a bitch a with a g-string and a twelve pack of Busch."

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Tj,

Stop picking oh the poor guy. So he is lame when it comes to untying his tounge. I won't allow myself to judge the guys abilties, predicated on his school record, or his fumbles.

I guess I would rather see a guy trip over his tounge, and make stupid mistakes, than to suffer one moment more of the smooth talking, word parsing, hypocritical Clinton's of the world. I can almost stomach Dan Quaile because he makes such gaffs.

If I heard one more 'it all depends on what the word 'is' is, from another politician, I would I beleive turn green, and upchuck my most recent dinner.

Danny

• Satanus
    Satanus

Dannybear

Sometimes lameducks fly real good.

S

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

SS,

If they don't fly real good, they surely must try alot harder than the rest of the flock. :)

• teejay
    teejay

Bigboi,

Ths US is probably the most widespread and influential power since Rome...

Very interesting similarities to Rome. Based on the premise that history repeats, the comparison you draw does not bode well for the future. All of us hope the comparisons with Rome will not run to their conclusion.

[American support of] Saddam Hussein lessened the power if Iran. He probably thought he would be allowed a free hand in the Middle East for his labors. He didn't ... think the U.S. would want to fight anyway.

Again, an interesting perspective on the Gulf War. Above, SaintSatan said that the American ambassador had given Saddam the go-ahead since there were no American interests in the area. That's hard for me to believe, considering the huge economic interest in the area.

Together with your analysis of ancient Rome, I more believe that the U.S. was interested in propping up someone they viewed as a simple bedouin they felt could be controlled, until he demonstrated that he had a mind, a will, and a perverse genius of his own.

It seems that American leadership made a similar tremendous underestimation of bin Laden, to its peril. And if any live under the idea that eliminating him, even if they find him, will solve the problem of world wide terrorism, they are sadly mistaken. It's going to be ugly for a very long time.

holla

• teejay
    teejay

Big,

Good points. Few Presidents are stand-outs, but it pisses me off when someone points to any part of dubya's history as something praiseworthy. His life has been greased all along the way and still he's no great shakes.

It was a wise decision on his part to get such an experienced group behind him. I just hope he continues to delgate tasks to his cabinet.

Same here, brother, same here. But I don't expect anyone to turn the steering wheel over to him any time soon. No worries there.

I'm no big fan of Bush, but he's got my support 1000% during this latest of our country's adventures.

I keep looking for leadership, some sense of direction. There's hope.

==========

News flash from the mouth of Bush as he addressed the cabinet today: "Unknown terrorists have declared war on America."

Good god.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Danny,

Stop picking oh the poor guy. So he is lame when it comes to untying his tounge. I won't allow myself to judge the guys abilties, predicated on his school record, or his fumbles.

Sorry, Buddy. I didn't know you were a Republican! But then, I shoulda guessed -- nobody's perfect. For you, I will try to refrain from passing along further quotes of our dear Commander in Chief.

I guess I would rather see a guy trip over his tounge, and make stupid mistakes, than to suffer one moment more of the smooth talking, word parsing, hypocritical Clinton's of the world.

Hey, what 'chu sayin' 'bout Clinton? So he likes the ladies... I ain't mad at him, although he could improve on his choices. Now, JFK!! That guy played with movie starlets and beauties of all description and he was/is STILL ... oh ... never mind.

But, I have no worries about my boy Bill. History will be very kind to him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes lameducks fly real good.

SaintSatan, this reminds me of what someone said. He was pointing to the cycles through which the Presidency goes from one administration to the next: from the "crooked Nixon to the honest Carter; from the imperial Reagan to the down-to-earth Clinton."

"After four years of a guy who couldn't get past the thousand-dollar round of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, brains may be back in style by 2004."

Sorry, Danny. I couldn't resist!!

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

tj,

Iam laughing and crying at the same time. No worries mate 'some of my best friends are..blah blah :)

He really didn't get past the $1000 dollar mark? Shit! Maybe I will have to take another look at GB. HeHa argggggggg.

As far as taste in women go, 'Clinton was no JFK'....Iam lighting a candel for Marylin tonight.:) All woman from head to toe. Not to mention 'all' the others.

Hell, whats it all matter anyway, we are all going to die at Armaggedon soon, just ask any jw.

DannyBearlyRepublican

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

Teejay, I like what you said about Bush as the "Great Delegator", that sure fits him. I like him, he came to the presidency with no baggage from previous political appointments. Unlike William Jefferson Clinton, he didn't screw the people of his state, unlike
    Bore..er..excuse me Gore his state voted for him and he took it. Some of the things he does makes him very likeable. I like the fact the he screws up when talking, at least we don't have to parsce every thing he says. With 20 plus years of military service, one of the things we learn in leardership schools and supervisory schooling, is to delegate delegate and delegate again while keeping overall responsibility for what happens. MY 02. Buff

• Satanus
    Satanus

TJ

For a reference for my statement that the US ambassador gave saddam permission to invade kuwait, see here http://www.bigeye.com/012101.htm
    about the 4th ppg down. As well there is some other interesting background. For instance, why do muslim arabs in general hate the USA.

S

• Farkel
    Farkel

tj.

: While I must admit that I know little of President Harding, in my lifetime no president (or candidate) prior to GWBush was ever as under-qualified for the office.

Someone has commented about the amazing capacity of so-called "under-qualified" U.S. Presidents to rise to the occassion when their Country needs them in a crisis. FDR and Harry Truman come to mind.

Warren G. Harding was a clueless buffoon who was helped into office because he WAS so clueless. As a result, people committed all kinds of fraud and made fortunes doing so right under his nose. I believe he liked whores and booze more than the business of running his Country as President.

Lincoln was a hick lawyer without extensive "political experience." As I recall, he didn't even attend Law School, but earned his ability to practice through an apprenticeship.

Grant was a sad, worn-out alcoholic who ran a poor administration.

LBJ made fortunes with his construction business because of the on-going Vietnam War that he promoted. People who knew him have testified that anyone could get an audience with him when he was President. The only requirement was that the vistor had to bring $50,000 in cash which strangely didn't leave the Oval Office when the visitor left.

Jack Anderson wrote a book after Nixon's fall and gave many facts about all the President's who preceeded him back to FDR. I read this book in the mid or late 1970's. After I finished, I decided that Nixon was a lightweight scumbag compared to his predecessors.

I'm not trying to start a debate over what I've presented, as I have not kept copies of those references. I am going only from memory.

My point is simple: in a crisis and especially in a crisis as major as the one we are facing now, I expect Dubya will rise above whatever limitations he might have and be up to the job. If so many U.S. Presidents were also incompetent, how did we manage to emerge as the greatest superpower in modern history?

I agree with larc and Danny Boy in their more modest comments about Bush. Yes, he is not articulate. I don't give a rat if he stutters, if he can perform the job we elected him to do! I admire him greatly for being wise enough to surround himself with people who have broad experience for the jobs they've been selected to do.

One other note: I read earlier this year from a Nationally Syndicated editorial columnist that Dubya actually had a higher GPA in College than Al Gore and scored higher in an environmental class than Gore. Bush got a "B." Gore got a "C" or a "D." I haven't seen that statement disproven. It would be interesting to check it out and see if it was true.

It would be best if we all rally around our President in this time of crisis and give him the benefit of the doubt. Right now, he's the only President we've got. I'm confident he will rise to the occassion and so many of his predecessors have done.

The sheer magnatude and responsibility of the job makes one "grow up" very fast.

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit