not since Harding

by teejay 104 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

A survey in 1962 of 75 professors of history ranked the presidents as follows:
    1. Lincoln
    2. Washington
    3. FDR
    4. Wilson
    5. Jefferson
    6. Jackson
    7. T. Roosevelt
    8. Truman
    9. J Adams
    10. Cleveland

The five lowest were

Coolidge. Pierce, Buckanan, Grant, and
    Harding
    A survey in 1994, asked historians to rate the presidents on 20 characterists. There list is as follows:
    1. FDR
    2. Lincoln
    3. T. Roosevelt
    4. Washington
    5. Jefferson
    6. Wilson
    7. Truman
    8. Eisenhower
    9. Madison
    10. JFK

The lowest were: Pierce, Grant, Buchanan, A. Johnson, and Harding.

Clinton was in the average range at 16, and Bush Senior was ranked below average at 30.

As survey of a hundred historians in 1999 produced this list.

1. Lincoln
    2. FDR
    3. Washington
    4. Jefferson
    5. T. Roosevelt
    6. Wilson
    7. Truman
    8. Jackson
    9. Eisenhower
    10. Madison

In this study that asked the 100 historians to rate personality characteristics of presidents. The following characteristics coorelated with rankings of success.

1. open to new experiences and alternatives
    2. extraverted
    3. stubborn and ready to fight if picked on
    4. assertive
    5. set ambitious goals
    6. had concern for the less fortunate
    7. somewhat disorganized.

The top 7 on the 1999 list are in the top 10 on all three lists. Madison was in the top ten on two lists and 11th on the third list. Eisenhower moved from 20th (average) to the top ten on the newer lists.

• larc
    larc

Since I do not know the life and history of the presidents well enough to comment on them and rank them, I brought up surveys from noted academics who have a better understanding than I do.

One thing that is note worthy about this list is that there are members of both parties represented here. Why? I think it has to do with honesty with leadership, honesty, and integrety regardless of party affiliation.

• teejay
    teejay

Larc,

When you posted the survey, I suddenly realized that the discussion became too deep for me. My knowledge of U.S. presidents goes back only as far as Kennedy, and a superficial knowledge of the first sixteen. I enjoyed this discussion, though. It showed what's possible here on JW.com... a difference of opinion but still respect and courtesy shown all around. It was fun.

peace,
    tj

Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    -- Mark Twain
  • larc
    larc

teejay,

My knowledge of presidents and history is too light for me to give an intelligent list. That is why I did a search to find out what the experts think. I think some in the top ten would be listed by almost everyone, e.g., Washington, Lincoln, and FDR. There are others on this list, that frankly, I don't know much about.

• teejay
    teejay

Larc,

I really believe that any listing, even by that of career historians, would be very subjective. One of the things I noticed, though, about the first list in your post above is that most of the top ten held the office during critical times in American history.

Washington, the first (the "Father of Our Country", as every grade schooler knows), was prez during a time that historians actually refer to as the "Critical Period," the infancy of the Republic when there was severe inflation, a general lack of cohesion between the colonies, no national currency and a host of other problems that arose on the heels of the Revolution.

Lincoln, FDR, Wilson, and Truman successfully guided the Nation through internal and international wars. Jefferson was probably the most brilliant man ever to live in D.C. (including Clinton, as hard as that is to beleive <g>), but there was no crisis to help him make his mark other than the force of his truly great personality.

What this means is that George W. Bush stands at the threshold of greatness, if he handles the situation well. Of course wartime is no guarantee of establishing a prez as a great one as can be seen in the case of Johnson and Nixon.

Still, he is a generally decent man, he has the benefit of a father who served in the role, he has surrounded himself with one of the ablest Cabinets in recent memory, and the Nation has rallied behind him in a way unseen for half a century. A possible silver lining to this mess is that those of us who are now alive will witness a great triumph, a great time in American History, not only of Dubya, but of the principles that founded our nation. We will see.

peace,
    tj

Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    -- Mark Twain

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit