not since Harding

by teejay 104 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

sf,

Bush has good credentials. He has a Harvard MBA, a very prestigious degree. He has successfully managed two organizations, one in business one in government before taking office. In his present job, he has shown good staffing and delegation skills. His background makes him better prepared than many past Presidents who were lawyers by profession.

You certainly can criticize his speaking skills, but I think there is more to the man than his tv persona.

While we are on the subject of Presidents. Our current problems are the responsibility of Clinton. He castrated both our Military and our intelligence community. Of course, he sure can talk good.

• teejay
    teejay

Bush has good credentials. He has a Harvard MBA, a very prestigious degree. He has successfully managed two organizations, one in business one in government before taking office. In his present job, he has shown good staffing and delegation skills. His background makes him better prepared than many past Presidents who were lawyers by profession.

Skally, you want this slow pitch, powder-puff softball that's right over the middle or should *I* take it?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bigboi

Sadam checked with the american ambassador before he invaded kuwait. The ambassador said something to the effect that the USA had no interests there. I know an iranian who went through the revolution in iran. He believes that kuwait was supposed to be the payoff for sadams war against iran. If sadam was doublecrossed, then it's no wonder he is mad. Of course he was an asshole before that.

S

• sf
    sf

Um, thanks tj...I can handle any size, type, texture and speed of "fast balls". That never has been a problem for Me. Actually, the bigger and faster the Balls, the more of a challenge(adrenaline rush) "It" is. It "drives" me further and keeps me on track more than ever.

"..., but I think there is more to the man than his tv persona."

Yes. larc, everytime I look AT him, I see that exact same thing...

A man of many secrets! A man that cannot be trusted. A man that must be Watched!

sKally, www klass

• bigboi
    bigboi

SaintSatan:

I don't doubt it one bit. Of course we are capable of a good ol doublecross no doubt. That version totally escaped me but it is possible and more than likely. I guess I've been feeling a little patriotic as of late.

ONE....

bigboi

"life's a bitch a with a g-string and a twelve pack of Busch."

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

So you'd rather have ecofreak Gore in charge? The guy couldn't even make it through divinity school. He's always been a ineffectual puppy and now he's just holding down a gimme job from the party faithful.

Oh, and that "long line" of people that continually rag Bush. They all just "happen" to be card carrying members of the liberal, left-wing, elitest nut case 'Democrate til we die,' we're morally superior to everyone else bunch. How can you be so gullible?

• bigboi
    bigboi

I personally think Democrats are more inclusive than Republicans. Party philosophies don't really matter here though. To be honest these terrorists don't want anything from us. They just want to see us and our influence in their "Holy Lands" gone.

Clinton, for all his communcation skills wouldn't have been able to prevent this. Bush with his no nonsense attitude wasn't able to prevent this. No intelligence officer was looking fo these guys to fly a plane into a building. Shoot missles at it, try to blow it up again? Major weapons purchases, maybe. However to think that some foreigner with a certificate from some flying school from God knows where was going to fly 3 planes into the WTC and the Pentagon? Come on! Nobody saw that comin and I doubt they could have.

ONE....

bigboi

"life's a bitch a with a g-string and a twelve pack of Busch."

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

Tj,

I tend to agree with Larc on his assessment of GWB. In fact I like to think, that his appointments of Powell and other's who had intimate knowledge of Desert Storm/Arab community, may well be the edge needed to bring this inevitable confrontation to a successful end.

Every one of the past presidents of this country, come to this office,
    with some sort of shadowy 'power brokers' behind them. I submit that this has been the case throughout history, even among those governments that ascribed to rite of successtion. Somehow the power brokers (even the divne rite kings/queens) seemed to be able to pull strings/manipulate to accomplish what they desired.

GWB could very well show himself to be the most capable president, this nation has ever seen. He surely faces a challenge so radicaly different from any other, we have ever faced. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt. I surely hope he has what it takes. If Dick Cheney can offer him some good guidance, so much the better.

I say lets give him the chance. Would you have felt better with Gore at the helm? Gore who could not even stand up to Clinton, or influence him to curb his hidious conduct.

Discussing politics is just as devisive as the subject of religion. But I just can't help myself!!!!

Danny

• teejay
    teejay

Bush has good credentials. He has a Harvard MBA, a very prestigious degree.

Like his father and grandfather, Bush attended Yale but was such a poor student at Andover (where he prepped) that the dean of students was pessimistic about his chances of getting into Yale. Harvard Business School was a backup option after he failed to qualify for entry into the University of Texas law school. Harvard alums say the admissions process was somewhat "mysterious." Imagine that.

In reporting on his college transcript, The New Yorker magazine revealed that in his four years, Bush never got anything higher than an 88 and seemed more comfortable in the mid-70s range. His cumulative average was 77. Among others, he struggled in Political Science, Sociology, and Economics. He scored higher in sports and partying, though.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He has successfully managed two organizations, one in business...

... as 'owner' of Major League Baseball's Texas Rangers.

Supporters of his dad, after bailing out his failing oil company, allowed Bush to buy 1.8% of the team for $600,000 of borrowed money and subsequently made him one of two general managers. What do you suppose the major owners considered noteworthy about Dubya: the fact that he showed himself to be a poor businessman, toiling for several years without success at his failing oil company? Or was it his family connections through his father?

He sold his stake for $14 million -- while Texas governor -- to a Texas millionaire with lots of businesses regulated by his administration. The payoff on his investment came with the help of massive government tax subsidies that were used to build the stadium and purchase some 300 surrounding acres, bordering Six Flags Over Texas, all paid for by taxpayers in the form of an increase in taxes. The subsidy amounted to a $135 million windfall for Bush and his buddies, compared with the $80 million they had originally paid -- the group ended up selling the entire franchise for $250 million. Smart business man or lucky because of his last name?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ... one in government before taking office.
    As governor

This is the single most common misconception about George W -- that he was an able and effective governor. Texas has what is known politically as "the weak-governor system" where the governor has little real power or influence. By constitutional arrangement, the governor of Texas is actually the fifth most powerful statewide office: behind lieutenant governor, attorney general, comptroller, and land commissioner.

During Bush's first term, the lieutenant governor old timer Bob Bullock was "the" power in state government. Dubya made his mark in Texas by doing pretty much what Bullock told him to. Anyone with anything more than superficial knowledge of Bush's political "experiment" in Texas knows that.

After coming to grips with this most important lesson, I have to give Bush credit for understanding who breathes life into his political career -- big bidness. Whatever the industry, whether tobacco, oil and gas, etc. Too much evidence of this exists to go into it here.

In his present job, he has shown good staffing and delegation skills.

A cryptic way of saying that he knows people who know things he doesn't; people willing to work when he shows little interest. Whatever, it's a good thing, and the Nation can be mighty thankful.

Reporters and interviewers all come away with the same perception -- how dense he is and seemingly proud of it. He doesn't know much, doesn't do much (the one exception seeming to be a genuine interest in education), painting with a very broad brush, not only in his speech but apparently in his thought patterns as well.

He shows a complete disinterest in detail. Rather than delving into the intricacies of a matter, he would rather be able to point to someone else on his staff who is better qualified to respond. It makes some wonder why he wanted the job, which is more than that of employment head or Great Delegator. There's talk of the 'dumbing down of America.' I would rather not see the president as the prime example of the phenomenon. But that's me.

tj

• teejay
    teejay

Favorite Bush Witticisms:

"One of the interesting initiatives we've taken in Washington, D.C., is we've got these vampire-busting devices. A vampire is a -- a cell deal you can plug in the wall to charge your cell phone." -- Denver, CO. Aug. 14, 2001

"Well, it's an unimaginable honor to be the president during the Fourth of July of this country. It means what these words say, for starters. The great inalienable rights of our country. We're blessed with such values in America. And I--it's--I'm a proud man to be the nation based upon such wonderful values." --Visiting the Jefferson Memorial, Washington, D.C., July 2, 2001

"We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease." --After meeting with the leaders of the European Union, Gothenburg, Sweden, June 14, 2001

"It's very important for folks to understand that when there's more trade, there's more commerce." --Quebec City, Canada, April 21, 2001

"I've coined new words, like, misunderstanding and Hispanically." -- Radio-Television Correspondents Association dinner, Washington, D.C., March 29, 2001

"I am mindful not only of preserving executive powers for myself, but for predecessors as well." -- Washington, D.C., Jan. 29, 2001

"Redefining the role of the United States from enablers to keep the peace to enablers to keep the peace from peacekeepers is going to be an assignment." -- Interview with the New York Times, Jan. 14, 2001

"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants." -- Interview with the New York Times, Jan. 14, 2001

"They misunderestimated me." -- Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." -- Greater Nashua, N.H., Chamber of Commerce, Jan. 27, 2000

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." --Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000

"It's clearly a budget. It's got a lot of numbers in it." --Reuters, May 5, 2000

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?" -- Florence, S.C., Jan. 11, 2000

"I understand small business growth. I was one." -- New York Daily News, Feb. 19, 2000

"It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet." -- Arlington Heights, Ill., Oct. 24, 2000

"I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to answer questions. I can't answer your question." -- Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods." -- Austin, Texas, Dec. 20, 2000

"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." -- Debate in St. Charles, Mo., Nov. 2, 2000

"There ought to be limits to freedom. We're aware of this [web] site, and this guy is just a garbage man, that's all he is." -- discussing a web site that parodies him

"I'm a uniter not a divider. That means when it comes time to sew up your chest cavity, we use stitches as opposed to opening it up." -- on David Letterman, March 2, 2000. (the audience booed)

"I didn't -- I swear I didn't -- get into politics to feather my nest or feather my friends' nests." -- to the Houston Chronicle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit