The Gentiles Times Reconsidered--Again but this Time By Using the Bible

by thirdwitness 1380 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Zico
    Zico

I've never understood how the Noah's ark story was fair if everyone's salvation was dependant on Noah's preaching work. Supposedly, it had never rained EVER. Even if he managed to preach to everyone on the Earth, I can't say I'm surprised that nobody listened to some old man who told everyone that the sky would fall on them and kill them all if they did not listen to him and help him build the Ark.

Similar to the JW's preaching work. I can see why many 'worldly' people would find it farfetched to believe that Jehovah would kill billions of people and turn the world into a perfect paradise. It doesn't seem very fair to kill everyone because they'd find such a crazy teaching hard to believe.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

"urging his fellow creatures"

Maybe it is because that was how they wrote in 1951, but "creatures?" That is an odd way of saying it.

• Zico
    Zico

Thirdwitness,

You continue to argue the scripture at Matthew 24:37 as proof for the translation of parousia into presence. Isn't it pretty much irrelevant anyway? Alan has proven that Parousia can be translated into other words such as coming and arrival, and that the NWT doesn't always translate words by their root meaning when context demands it. Parousia can be translated as presence, but even if parousia is translated as presence correctly in this scripture it doesn't mean it always has to be translated as presence in other scriptures. Context shows that it doesn't always make sense to use the word presence in each scripture where parousia is used, similar to the way that not all words have to be translated at their root meaning if context means it doesn't make sense. Why do you ignore all the other arguments, and only try to debate the one scripture that you are capable of arguing?

Nothing in that scripture states that his presence would begin many centuries after his death anyway, so it's really a weak argument to try to use it as defence of the 1914 date.

• AlanF
    AlanF

Is this PMJ troll clueless, or what? Let's not feed it anymore.

Stevenyc, as you pointed out a few posts ago, the sum total of Watchtower teaching on the matter of Noah's preaching is that he indeed preached to the entire world. While the Society has been cagey enough not to directly claim that -- after all, the Bible itself does not directly claim it -- it has done everything but directly claim it, doing its usual talking out of both sides of its mouth at the same time. I believe this has been to stave off the inevitable question that would be raised if they directly stated that Noah did not preach to the entire world: How could a just God kill an entire world of people without warning them? Indeed, the thrust of Watchtower teaching has always been that God's appointing Noah as a preacher to warn the entire world of its coming destruction is proof of his supreme justice.

AlanF

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I have not followed the thread for awhile. I honestly cannot believe it is still going after 50+ pages.

Has the Watchtower ever stated a number as to the inhabitants of the earth at the time of the Noachian flood? I would be curious as to the percentage of survivors they assume there. If the earths pop was 2,000,000 and only 8 survived then only .00004 %. Seems llike I recall that 2,000,000 figure from somewhere in the lit.

This could actually be hopeful for those of us that have left and know the 'truth of the Truth'. Current population of the earth with only that percentage surviving would mean that only 2400 witnesses would survive. SO most of the current 6000000 would have to leave to get the percentage right.

Jeff

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Steve quoted a 51 WT which said:

As Noah built he also preached repentance, urging his fellow creatures to seek God’s favor while there was yet opportunity. Strange thing, only seven others of that entire multitude believed him!

And tried to say that this WT was saying that Noah preached to the entire world. Of course it doesn't really say that at all. Only that out of the entire multitude that he preached to only seven listened.

Then AlanF makes comments about the WT double-speak based on his own inaccurate beliefs about JWs teachings. It would be good to learn our teachings before shooting off at the mouth trying to discredit it based on your false understandings.

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Zico said: I've never understood how the Noah's ark story was fair

AlanF said: How could a just God kill an entire world of people without warning them?

Is it that you don't believe the account of the flood or you believe that Jehovah is an unjust God?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

PMJ3:

Or should i address you as Sarah? Is that your 'real' name?

When you posted this:

Ozzie said and your multiple registrations will do nothing to improve that! I'm thinking of re-naming this "The Troll Thread". first of all i havent made multiple registrations.second.i find calling me a troll insulting.and if you read the posting gidelines your not ment to do that

I called you what you really are, a liar! At the time you had already registered, and had current, multiple addresses including the one you then posted at after I had deleted your previous one!

You are now registering on the forum using different email addresses with the intent of still posting after your account has been deleted. A veritable troll indeed!

AlanF's advice to the forum is right on, don't feed the trolls!

If PMJ should be reincarnated, just remember it's Sarah you're speaking with..

Ozzie

• toreador
    toreador

Tirdwitness wrote:

Post 365 of 365
    since 28-Jul-06

Zico said: I've never understood how the Noah's ark story was fair

AlanF said: How could a just God kill an entire world of people without warning them?

Is it that you don't believe the account of the flood or you believe that Jehovah is an unjust God?

Do you believe your God put to death thousands of people who had no warning of a flood that drowned them all like rats? Toreador
  • jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

I believe Noah preached to all people of the Earth. After all he had to travel from the middle east to Australia and pick up the kangaroos, didn't he? What else do you think he did while traveling?

And PMJ(X)... In a bad Hall and Oates song... "Sarah Smile!" or is it "She's Gone..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit