view of an American from Afghanistan

by Tatiana 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Utopian,

I reckon that the SAS would be just the ticket!

Englishman

Stay Alive 'Til '75!

• patio34
    patio34

Skimmer,

As I was reading thru this thread, I wondered if anyone would take an opposing view, as that was my reaction. Well, your post was far better than mine would have been and i concur.

It seemed to be a manipulative, pity-seeking apologetic for attempting to escape any retribution.

Pat

• jelly
    jelly

I was never in the military; I had that little run in with a door-knocking cult in my early twenties. My brother however was a captain in the marines. If you know anything about marines its that they really don’t respect the fighting ability of other nations or even the other branches of the US army. The one exception to that is the SAS, probably the best Special Forces unit in the world.

The more the situation clarifies the more I think we are in for a big, big war. I could foresee 200K American dead and 200Million Muslim dead before this is over.

Jelly

• AMOS
    AMOS

Hi Tatiana,
    Heard of a most interesting experience, sorry about that word. A friend of ours who is a local minister (of one of Babylon the Great's churches) found out that the local muslim mulla's house had been attacked during the night with bottles and rocks. Our friend,rang, only his wife was home, but offered to have the family stay in Babylon the Great's own home as long as it was needed for his family to be safe. The mulla turned up on our friends doorsteps in tears, saying that he thought that Christians hated Muslims and was just so overwhelmed that he had offered his home to the "devil" as he called himself, as this is what he believed all Christians viewed any Muslim. Who knows how many Muslims may find freedom for themselves as well through all this tragedy. Cheers.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Skimmer and his ilk seem to be ignoring the entire point of the post. I don't know if it's grief, anger, or poor reading skills.

Ben Laden wants a World War between Islam and the West.

Obviously, as the post says "something must be done about those monsters" - how that marries up with patio34 assesment of it as "manipulative, pity-seeking apologetic for attempting to escape any retribution" I don't know. patio also conveniently ignores the fact that unless care is taken any retribution will not be against those who are in any way guilty, but against civilians, which is what we are condemning Ben Laden for.

The point the poster is making that the majority of Afghan's need liberating from a terroristic reigeme, that the country is a bomb site already, and that running in half-cocked will result in "200K American dead and 200Million Muslim dead" as jelly blithly puts it. Except it would be millions of Americans and Europeans dead, not just 200k GI's.

The legitimate targets, if the Taliban government don't assist, are the Ben Laden training camps, anything upto 100,000 light infantry (mixed between the most experienced combat troops in the world and 12 year-old boys) armed with AK-47 and RPG's, minimal armour, minimal heavy artillery, 40 very old Scud missiles and air support that is more used to bombing villages in counter-insurgency operations than anything else. Of course how legitimate a target a brain-washed 12-year is is up to you...

Now, of course, if you are smart and you use air power to eliminate the air support the Taliban have, eliminate the majority of the armour and artillery, AND provide massive support to Afghani ant-Taliban elements, then the Taliban reigeme will not last long.

The Afghan war-lords are well aquainted to feudal machinations and power-plays, switching sides as circumstances and finances permit.

Some smart war-lord is going to realise that in return for Ben Laden head he and his tribe will have a five-year ticket to riches between assuming control of a transitional government and UN-imposed free democratic elections.

Do you think that the sudden ceasefire in Palenstine is an accident? The US government realise that as well as destabilising the Taliban and destroying what little millitary 'oomph' they have, they have to win a PR war with the rest of the Muslim world.

Now, any assholes who want to act like terrorists to avenge the attrocities of 911 can think what they want. The fact more people would die, both American and Islamic doesn't seem to bother them or abate their blood-lust.

Fortunately, it probably, hopefully won't happen that way.

Keep on rocking in the free world...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit