view of an American from Afghanistan

by Tatiana 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Teirce
    Teirce

Well, it's not the end of the tunnel. The anti-humanitarian Soviet Union was blocked from Middle-East oil by these thugs. Now that the tool has gone anti-humanitarian, and decided to rattle its sabres, the US is free in many ways to focus upon it without vast distraction. It's now a matter of coalition and cooperation among nations to keep this cleasing all above-board, so that there Are few civilians affected. Keeping the moral hiugh gorund, not lashing out at an unclear target, retaining Arab faith and general Islamic trust, these are critical to excising this part of radical fundamentalism that could (and has, admittedly) rear it head in any religious base.

The JWs say that the world government will turn on world religion. Uh, no. Progress and technological saturation see to it that previously religious types get that advantages of having free resource to think for themselves, of becoming their own people. Therefore, religion ends on its own, or sublimates to a personal expression rather than an army of hate and division. The tenets of Islam itself don't condemn globalization. But tumorous, cancerous sections in any body part, whether we understand exactly what all that part does or not, have to be removed.

• AMOS
    AMOS

Tatiana,
    I feel the same way.But even find myself avoiding movies - like Schindler's list - didn't see it until years after it came out. I just weep at the pain and suffering - and the scale is just so overwhelming and it never seems to stop. I worked with a an outwardly appearing, soft spoken Pakistani doctor, young man he was - gracious, courteous, butter wouldn't melt in his mouth a few years ago. Until my boss, a woman Hindu/Roman Catholic Indian doctor started rubbishing Islam. Well, talk about Jekyl & Hyde. While we were going down the freeway at 110 kms he was raging about Allah being the greatest, we are nothing, I will die for Allah etc. I actually asked him would be kill for Allah, there was no hesitation, that whatever Allah wanted he would do". There was some reason he could not go back and live in Pakistan and had his own group using the internet for writing newspapers etc. I started studying Islam then, even obtained a copy of the Satanic Verses. Books written by women, Professors - how terrifying - but my outrage..how thankful that thus far we are in a "free" world. Our local areas have been used as a dumping ground for immigration which causes a lot of problems, but thankfully the government is constantly admonishing moderation - and so far we've had no serious incidents. But certainly we now feel, that if this can happen in America...Cheers Anne

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Amos, I too avoided movies like that. I have never seen Schindler's List, or Amistad. When I watch the series "Roots", about slavery in America, I cried for a week straight. I can't take watching that much pain anymore. I know what humans are capable of doing to each other. I just don't want to watch it.
    It's bad enough to watch it on TV or at the movies, but now it's here, in America. And you're right, if it can happen here......

Isn't it strange how a person can be kind and gentle until you start talking about "religious beliefs"? I just don't get it. And I certainly don't think God is sitting up there saying to himself, "Okay, today I'll bless America, tomorrow Russia, next week Israel." When people pray for God to bless them going to war, it makes me ill.

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

: This is from Tamim Ansary, a writer and columnist in
    : San Francisco who is a native of Afghanistan. It's
    : both interesting and chilling....

I've already seen this same crap posted on other boards.

Important Note: My comments below are intended for the original author, Tamim Ansary.

: > * * * *
    : > I've been hearing a lot of talk about "bombing
    : Afghanistan back to the Stone Age." Ronn Owens, on KGO
    : Talk Radio today, allowed that this would mean killing
    : innocent people, people who had nothing to do with
    : this atrocity, but "we're at war, we have to accept
    : collateral damage. What else can we do?" Minutes
    : later I heard some TV pundit discussing whether we
    : "have the belly to do what must be done."

Failure to act will result in more terrorist attacks, each more deadlier than the last. I don't give a crap about "belly"; I want us to exhibit some backbone!

: > And I thought about the issues being raised
    : especially hard because I am from Afghanistan, and
    : even though I've lived here for 35 years I've never
    : lost track of what's going on there. So I want to tell
    : anyone who will
    : listen how it all looks from where I'm standing.

Do you understand what it looks like from the people outside the World Trade Center? From the Pentagon?

: > I speak as one who hates the Taliban and Osama
    : Bin Laden. There is no doubt in my mind that these
    : people were responsible for the atrocity in New York.
    : I agree that something must be done about those
    : monsters.

Okay, how about a suggestion or two? You seem to have no problem criticizing demands for a prompt decisive response, so how about putting your plan on the table? Or maybe you don't even have a plan.

: > But the Taliban and Ben Laden are not Afghanistan.
    : They're not even the government of Afghanistan. The
    : Taliban are a cult of ignorant psychotics who took
    : over Afghanistan in 1997. Bin Laden is a political
    : criminal with a plan. When you think Taliban, think
    : Nazis. When you think Bin Laden, think Hitler. And
    : when you think "the people of Afghanistan" think "the
    : Jews in the concentration camps."

The Taliban are running Afghanistan. They have done this for years. There is no doubt about this.

Ninety five percent of the population of Afghanistan either support the Taliban or are too cowardly to rebel against them. Comparing them with Jews in Nazi concentration camps is an utter insult and displays an appalling lack of knowledge of history. Emitting this kind of bullshit totally destroys whatever credibility you might have had.

: > It's not only that the Afghan people had nothing
    : to do with this atrocity. They were the first victims
    : of the perpetrators. They would exult if someone would
    : come in there, take out the Taliban and clear out the
    : rat's nest of international thugs holed up in their
    : country.

As far as I can see, millions of those in Afghanistan care only about their own skins and are running away to other countries. True, a few in the Northern Alliance are trying to put the Taliban out of business. They would succeed if the majority of Afghanis weren't cowards.

: > Some say, why don't the Afghans rise up and
    : overthrow the Taliban? The answer is, they're starved,
    : exhausted, hurt, incapacitated, suffering. A few
    : years ago, the United Nations estimated that there are
    : 500,000 disabled orphans in Afghanistan--a country
    : with no economy, no food. There are millions of
    : widows. And the Taliban has been burying these
    : widows alive in mass graves. The soil is littered with
    : land mines, the farms were all destroyed by the
    : Soviets. These are a few of the reasons why the
    : Afghan people have not overthrown the Taliban.

Sounds too much like what I heard from professional victim classes. If they refuse to defend themselves, then they get what they deserve.

: > We come now to the question of bombing
    : Afghanistan back to the Stone Age.Trouble is, that's
    : been done. The Soviets took care of it already. Make
    : the Afghans suffer? They're already suffering. Level
    : their houses? Done. Turn their schools into piles of
    : rubble? Done. Eradicate their hospitals? Done.
    : Destroy their infrastructure? Cut them off from
    : medicine and health care? Too late. Someone already
    : did all that.

Apparently, the Taliban have no problem maintaining internal communication, power generation, power distribution, and any number of other phenomena not associated with being in the Stone Age. So that whole paragraph of yours is just more crap.

: > New bombs would only stir the rubble of earlier
    : bombs. Would they at least get the Taliban? Not

If the bombs are big enough, then they will work just fine.

: likely. In today's Afghanistan, only the Taliban eat,
    : only they have the means to move around. They'd slip
    : away and hide. Maybe the bombs would get some of those
    : disabled orphans, they don't move too fast, they don't
    : even have wheelchairs. But flying over Kabul and

Perhaps the uncles, cousins, and other relatives of those orphans might decide to show a little bravery for once and strike against their Taliban masters. But I'm not holding my breath on this.

: dropping bombs wouldn't really be a strike against the
    : criminals who did this horrific thing. Actually it
    : would only be making common cause with the
    : Taliban--by raping once again the people they've been
    : raping all this time

Taking out the war fighting capability of terrorists and those that give them safe harbor can only help innocent people no matter where they live.

: > So what else is there? What can be done, then?
    : Let me now speak with true fear and trembling. The
    : only way to get Bin Laden is to go in there with
    : ground troops. When people speak of "having the belly
    : to do what needs to be done" they're thinking in terms
    : of having the belly to kill as many as needed.>

If the 95 percent of Afghanistan ruled by the Taliban had any kind of "belly", then ouside action would not be necessary.

: Having the belly to overcome any moral qualms about
    : killing innocent people. Let's pull our heads out of
    : the sand. What's actually on the table is Americans
    : dying. And not just because some Americans would die
    : fighting their way through Afghanistan to Bin Laden's
    : hideout. It's much bigger than that folks. Because to
    : get any troops to Afghanistan, we'd have to go through
    : Pakistan. Would they let us? Not likely. The conquest

Read the news, idiot. Pakistan has given us their full support.

: of Pakistan would have to be first. Will other Muslim
    : nations just stand by? You see where I'm going. We're
    : flirting with a world war between Islam and the West.

If that's what it will take to end terrorism, then that's what has to be done.

: > And guess what: that's Bin Laden's program.
    : That's exactly what he wants. That's why he did this.
    : Read his speeches and statements. It's all right
    : there. He really believes Islam would beat the west.
    : It might seem ridiculous, but he figures if he can
    : polarize the world into Islam and the West, he's got a
    : billion soldiers. If the west wreaks a holocaust in

It will be hard for him to issue any commands when his atoms have been distributed in the stratosphere.

: those lands, that's a billion people with nothing left
    : to lose, that's even better from Bin Laden's point of
    : view. He's probably wrong, in the end the West would
    : win, whatever that would mean, but the war would last
    : for years and millions would die, not just theirs but

Millions of ours do not have to die.

: ours. Who has the belly for that?
    : Bin Laden does. Anyone else?

Fuck bin Laden. He is going to be dead, and very soon, I'm sure.

Warning to all: DO NOT DOUBT THE DEEP AND ENDURING STRENGTH OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

: Tamim Ansary

Hey Tamim, you seem to like Afghanistan. Certainly you are trying to save the miserable asses of the twenty million Taliban supporters. Why don't you return there instead of using up valuable American oxygen?

• claudia
    claudia

Skimmer, that was one awsome post you just submitted!

• AMOS
    AMOS

Tatiana, akin in your feelings on those movies, affects me in the same way. I have taken the liberty of sending you via email a lovely set of sayings with slides a nursing colleague sent me today. Timely reminder and soothing reflections. Anne

• Englishman
    Englishman

The UK is hoppin' mad at this bombing of our allies as well as the murder of around 300 of our own citizens in the Trade Centre. 90% of the country want direct action by our own forces as well as the Americans.

This was in todays new York Times:Senior officials said that one country they expected to contribute troops was Britain, the United States' strongest ally and a country that lost an estimated 300 citizens in last Tuesday's attacks. The administration has also not ruled out participation by troops from other European allies. The administration has also plainly stated, though not stressed, that the United States reserves the right to act unilaterally despite the expressions of support.

Seems fair enough to me.

Englishman.

Stay Alive 'Til '75!

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

On "National Public Radio" here in Boston it was announced that the Italians and the British are in fact the only european allies that have publicly promised full military support to the US.

Italian Defense Minister "Antonio Martino" stated: "Italy will provide troops and naval and aerial support". We already know the British are dying to get involved and are waiting for the US's next move. Here is the beginning of the article (in italiano) from LA STAMPA italian daily press:

Martino: è guerra, schiereremo soldati e aerei
    «Faremo ciò che ci verrà richiesto dai nostri alleati Usa e dalla Nato» Ma le nostre forze speciali sono composte da poche migliaia di uomini

18 settembre 2001

di Francesco Grignetti

ROMA Con tutte le cautele del caso, il ministro della Difesa, Antonio Martino, da giorni aveva cominciato a dire agli italiani che anche truppe di casa nostra potrebbero essere chiamate a dar manforte agli americani. Ieri il ministro è stato più esplicito: «Siamo totalmente al fianco degli alleati americani e fedeli ai nostri impegni alla Nato. Faremo tutto ciò che possiamo per partecipare alla risposta a questo inaccettabile, terribile atto di terrorismo. Faremo tutto ciò che ci verrà richiesto. Schiereremo i nostri soldati se ce lo chiederanno, metteremo a disposizione i nostri aerei se ci verrà richiesto». Il tabù, dunque, è rotto. Non si parla solo di solidarietà politica o diplomatica, ma anche militare. Soldati italiani potrebbero essere chiamati a partecipare a una spedizione. E questa volta non si usa l’eufemismo «missione di pace».

Germany and France have promised "logistical support". That could mean a number of different things, some administrative, some logistical, some technical.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Utopian,

Just seen on the news that the UK has sent 17 warships to the Gulf.

Englishman.

Stay Alive 'Til '75!

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Hey UK Man:

Even though I harbor some gripes over the big one 60 years ago, I must admit I admire and love those "Royal Marine Commando" regiments.

As a US Marine for five years, involved in Beirut, Grenanda, Carracou, Panama and other events, I always wanted an opportunity to work with the RMC's. Unfortunately, it never came. I did work with "ROK" Rangers from South Korea and Australian Infantry during Operation Bright Star in Egypt in '85.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit