Rejecting God or rejecting religion?

by kojo 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Dansk
    Dansk

Once I knew the Jehovah's Witnesses were full of lies I decided to investigate as thoroughly as I could to find out if the Bible was true. Unfortunately, it isn't!

Archaeology can prove the Hebrew scriptures are nothing but fables with some historical facts thrown in. An excellent book to read is The Bible Unearthed by leading scholars Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman.

As the Hebrew scriptures are based on lies (they were written to rally the kingdoms of Judah and Samaria into one kingdom, Israel) this undermines the credibility of the Christian Greek scriptures, as Christ came to fulfill certain Hebrew scriptures. Alas, we find that nothing was written about Jesus until at least 40 years after his death and that there is no contemporary information as to his existence. Indeed, even the gospels weren't written by the people attributed to them! (see A Short History of the Bible by Bronson C. Keeler). It was the early Christian Fathers (the Roman Catholic Church) who originated the theory that the books in the New Testament were inspired - and they did this to gain authority!

All this doesn't negate God, of course, but it does emphasise that we should all question our even deep-seated beliefs. It appears to me that most people are fearful of not believing in the Bible so are reluctant to even consider it could be whoey! That's a shame, because truth has nothing to fear in a free and open encounter.

By rejecting a religion one is not rejecting God. Personally, I'm not sure if God exists, or if he does what form he takes - or even if he is necessary to my spiritual development.

Am I spiritual? Oh, yes! I deeply respect the teachings of Buddha and Ramana Maharshi. I know I am going to die but I also believe that my consciousness will carry on. Where? Now THAT's the question!

Ian

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Interesting perspective, Ian. What was your litmus test for "truth"?

You seem to be implying that the original writers desired to lie and intentionally subvert. I think some of Didier's comments would undermine that view. Are you sure we aren't just putting 21st century personal values on a work of antiquity?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

For me it is simple; Something other than blind force made what we see around us. I have not enough faith to believe in evolution. Nor do I criticize those who do not believe in God and creation - which puts them at odds with me at times.

I have not rejected God - but I have rejected for the moment religions that claim to be from Him. Perhaps at some point I will join a community of worshippers - for now I am content to know from my heart that God is there and that although we don't seem to know all the answers - He cares.

Jeff

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    I have read many posts on here and on other websites from people who were brought up or became immersed in a particular religion or belief system, who later ,often because of bad experiences with their religion, went to the opposite extreme of not believing in God at all. This often puzzles me because I wonder if people who reject a belief in God because of the hypocrisies they experienced in their former belief really are rejecting God or just a man-made organization which claims to be God's spokesman and has shown to be anything but.

Your opening comments contained an assumption that for many is simply not true. Though I became aware of hypocrisy within the Watchtower that is not the reason I rejected the organisation. I rejected it because the evidence showed me that Watchtower doctrine was incorrect.

I reject god for similar reasons.

Respectfully,

Nic'

• kid-A
    kid-A

I have not enough faith to believe in evolution.

Interesting comment since belief in evolution requires no faith. It requires a 30 dollar investment in a good first year University biology text book or an afternoon trip to your nearest Museum of Natural History. There you will find the anthropological evidence for the evolution of hominids beginning with the australopithecines, progressing through homo habilis, h. erectus, neanderthals, cro-magnon to modern h. sapiens. The evidence will be laid out in front of you and all you will require is a pair of eyes, and the price of admission. Ignorance is no excuse for faith.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Ross:

you haven't considered that somewhere down there beyond the leviathans there might be a sea bed, and below that, and below that, and below that?...

Your questions regarding layers, distances and dualities, does not apply in the nondual realization of our true oneness and wholeness.

Your many layered fragmented chaos, exists within the mind only. To awaken to your true Being, is to step out of the ENTIRE "reality" construct of the mind.

Be still. Stop. Stop the mind and it's questions and step into the unknowable immediacy and reality of your real Being. No one can give you the answers you seek. You, are the answers.

j

• poppers
    poppers
    but you haven't considered that somewhere down there beyond the leviathans there might be a sea bed, and below that, and below that, and below that?...

Father, what holds up the world?

A turtle, my son.

And what holds up that turtle, father?

It's turtles all the way down.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

James:

Your questions regarding layers, distances and dualities, does not apply in the nondual realization of our true oneness and wholeness.

That's a perspective.

Your many layered fragmented chaos, exists within the mind only.

Many would hold that the mind is where it all occurs. How do you demonstrate otherwise?

To awaken to your true Being, is to step out of the ENTIRE "reality" construct of the mind.

Are ya still so sure that ya haven't just stepped out of the current layer into one so immense it blows/stops your mind?

LT, of the "I'm so still I've got barnacles on my ass" class

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Poppers:

It's turtles all the way down.

LOL - good one, I likey

• forsharry
    forsharry

I don't reject God persay...I simply pretend to believe in him in the same way he pretended to help me when I was in need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit