Rejecting God or rejecting religion?

by kojo 66 Replies latest jw friends

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    What makes your perspective any more right that anothers'? Your transcendant experience?

Indeed the words I use make it sound like it's my experience. It's not the case.

When Reality/Truth/God/Actuality/Self is seen, there is no individual seeing it. In this seeing there is a dissolving of all personal "me". There is no personal little self to which this seeing occurs. The seeing is the infinite actuality of all existence; and it is more real, more valid and genuine than anything ever "experienced". It is not an experience or something happening to a "me". It is rather vivid and undeniable realization of what you really are. It's not happening to you, it is you. It's as if everything experienced. is but a dream, and what is witnessing is all there is.

In this seeing there is a wordless and innate clarity of understanding and feeling that this indescribable and unmoving purity is the essence and actuality of everything and everyone. It is not a belief. The mind is absolutely still during this. It's what IS before and during all phenomenal existence, thought and experience.

It's here. It's what we all are. It looks out your eyes right now. It's all there really IS.

It can not be known as things, or objects, or phenomena are "known". It's too vast and pure for the mind to even begin to comprehend. It can be lived though, as it is what you and all existence truly IS.

When it comes to what the word G-O-D points to, no mentally created "perspective" is true. It's all just extremely limited, abstract interpretation. The only TRUTH, is what all the feeble words are attempting to point to. You are That.

j

• poppers
    poppers

From little toe

Please tell me you're not so bigotted as to believe that your's is the only way...

Where does biggotry arise? Who does biggorty offend? What I am pointing to pulls the rug out from beneath the feet of the bigot and the one who is affected by the bigot for it exposes that both of those entities are imaginary characters. Those characters don't actually exist as real and enduring entities. The "seeing" of this is universal - it is there for anyone to see when the "me" sense is dropped and one rests in one's real nature.

Now, can this dropping of the "me" sense occur within the context of "prayer" and "god"? Of course, but it is not limited to those contexts either. For the most part, people who maintain the duality of "me" and "god" can't get beyond those concepts for they are not even seen as concepts, they are believed in as being real. To remain identified with the "me" keeps one trapped in dualism, and this is what happens, for the most part, when one prays to something believed to be outside oneself. If, however, within "prayer" there is a total surrendar of the "me" dualism dissolves, but I question how often this happens.

Because people so strongly identify with "me" there is often great fear in letting the "me" go. Who would I be without "me" is a powerful way for an imagined character, the ego entity, to remain in control. This fear keeps one trapped, keeps one seeking from a dualistic viewpoint. Without the "me" there is no personal viewpoint, there is just the seeing of things as they are. Beliefs, opinions, prejudices, and fears drop away and there is the simple pure being that is universal to all cognizant of itself.

When it does happen within a context of prayer and god what often follows? Making a cause and effect link: "I" prayed and "god" revealed truth, but the belief in "I" usually persists. And it's because of this persistence of "I" that religions form which further separate people from one another. None of this is needed for "truth" to be revealed. "Be still and know" is enough - why entangle this simple and beautiful idea with that which creates separation?

• Perry
    Perry

Inquisitor,

There are many smart people on this thread/board. I don't think the average Joe really asks and deeply ponders such questions. My statement highlights the inability of even smart people to explain how a world without the possibility of evil could ever be considered free. Could you explain that? If someone can't explain it; why blame God for something that is a requirement for what people desire?

As far as your questions about natural disasters, I don't know if I have a satisfying answer for you. But, personally I believe God. I don't need logic, a religion, or special training or education to do it. It is a choice rather than a result of some formulaic logic attempt at security. It is the basis for any relationship..... trust.

However, having said that, God said that he made the earth for humans and their desendants. In other words he placed the earth under their limited jurisdiction and limited authority. It is not a stretch for me to imagine that he would simply back off after the Fall, having done so natural forces simply follow the laws of physics sometimes tragically. Another possibility is that God says people who rely on laws as the cornerstone of their life ... are cursed. Perhaps in the currency of God this curse extends to the things he placed under man's jurisdiction since man has chosen to live by law rather than the Spirit of God.

It seems like to me that some folks want a guaranteed risk free relationship before they'll decide to "believe God". I never would have gotten anywhere with my wife if I placed these kinds of requirements on her as we dated. We both grew in our relationship as a result of a willingness to believe each other and put faith in each other. I understand why she did some of the things she did when we first got to know each other that I couldn't have known until later in the relationship. And vise versa.

Why would it be any different with God?

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

So...

positive outcome of a situation = miracle

negative outcome of a situation = test, or "there are no guarantees"

Nice argument, but do I smell something funny?

I'm so sick of hearing the same tired stuff go around and around.

If saving a few lost souls is what you are angling for, you are probably wasting your time.

My best argument against an interested god? If there is a god in the sky who cares more about punishing me for my stupid choices than doing something for the starving and oppressed people all over the world, then I don't want to "serve" that god anyway.

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    My best argument against an interested god? If there is a god in the sky who cares more about punishing me for my stupid choices than doing something for the starving and oppressed people all over the world, then I don't want to "serve" that god anyway.

Who would?

That is the god of the Watchtower, and the god that some people have put a spin on. Not the God that I know. And He said all the other gods are fakes.

As humans we want everything to make sense, well that is not going to happen. The most rational human in the world can not put the universe in a neatly labled box. I try not to over think things.

God sent his Son to give his life for us and to teach us what it means to be godly. He told us it should be our lives work to care for "the starving and oppressed people of the world" Jesus taught us how to be part of the solution instead of the problem.

You will find more Christian charities and orphanages around the world than any other group sponsering them.

The dying, the cripple, the mental, the unwanted, the unloved they are Jesus in disguise~Mother Teresa

• Twitch
    Twitch

Me? Don't need a church, or Hall or any of that hoodydoo. I'll take a forest of redwoods and celebrate the fact that I'm gonna be part of them when I'm dust. For now? Just be a good guy, how can you fail?
    Amen to that, brother

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Poppers/James:

What's to convince anyone that you're not as deluded as the next person? THough you feel you've experienced that which transcends all ego, what's to suppose that you're not one more layer short of an onion skin? We're all a bunch of firing neurons, right?

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Perry,

My statement highlights the inability of even smart people to explain how a world without the possibility of evil could ever be considered free. Could you explain that? If someone can't explain it; why blame God for something that is a requirement for what people desire?

Who has ever denied that evil is unavoidable in this world? The problem is not in the presence of evil, but the presence of a God in light of evil. Natural disasters, genocides, rising petrol prices... How could a *righteous* God stand by and watch these things march a long and settle in its own time? Is ANYTHING worth such misery? I watched a clip from South Park last night where one of the characters, who was lying in hospital, was read the story of Job. His conclusion was "What sort of God would go all the way just to prove a point to the Devil?". Chew on that for a sec.

If God exists, it is He who gave us free will and it is He who allows Evil to exist. It is hardly finger-pointing from humans that makes Him responsible for evil in our world. He just IS BY DEFAULT! He is the idle Almighty, for crying out loud. You shy away from what you must perceive is blasphemy, yet the rest of us will not hold back from stating the obvious truth.

God said that he made the earth for humans and their desendants. In other words he placed the earth under their limited jurisdiction and limited authority. It is not a stretch for me to imagine that he would simply back off after the Fall, having done so natural forces simply follow the laws of physics sometimes tragically.

Moving on to Romans 8... I agree that when the commands in Genesis were utterred, man had limited dominion of the earth. I'd imagine that it logically refers to expansion of the Garden and taking care of the animals. I do not see an implicit gift to Adam of the power over tectonic plates (earthquakes, volcanoes) or over the movement of the winds (weather). Nothing in the scriptures suggests that Adam was given any such supernatural powers. That has and will always be the jurisdiction of God, if He exists.

So I see no reason to blame Adamic error for the natural catastrophes we witness today. If God can't prevent a tsunami, it is no wonder He wasn't around when they gassed millions of Jews. You seem to make light of this burning evidence against a loving God by implying that people who wouldn't commit to belief expect too much in terms of security. If you do not have the answers for why Evil exists, on what basis do you expect people to believe in a caring God? An emotional high?

The absence of answers may sit well with you because your faith is bereft of logic and facts. This is not my slur on your faith. You said so yourself "I don't need logic, a religion, or special training or education to do it." But for the rest of us, it is not a question of costs, it is a question of plausibility.

I do not know what you meant by people who obey laws are cursed and how that is relevant to the causes of natural disasters.

It seems like to me that some folks want a guaranteed risk free relationship before they'll decide to "believe God". I never would have gotten anywhere with my wife if I placed these kinds of requirements on her as we dated...Why would it be any different with God?

Such a simplistic metaphor. You forget that:

1) Your wife is not invisible

2) She didn't commission the writing of a biography that is filled with literary inconsitencies.

3) She is not by default held responsible for all the Evil in this world (at least I hope not)

With these major differences poking out at us, how can you possibly draw a comparison between accepting God and accepting the woman who is now your life partner?

INQ

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

Who would?

That is the god of the Watchtower, and the god that some people have put a spin on. Not the God that I know. And He said all the other gods are fakes.

Actually, that is the god of the bible. The only spin put on it is by bible believers. Those who don't believe in the bible do not have to "spin" it. You simply point right at the words and, lo and behold, it says (paraphrased): I(god) have the power to cure the world of everything!!!!!!!!... but I'm gonna wait on it for a while. It's a secret when I'll do it and I'm not telling anyone!

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit

Off topic:

Dudes, Im a junior member now. Do I get a badge or something? Is it like, the equivalent of becoming an unbaptized publisher? Can I get my own "Hell yes I would like a blood transfusion if I need it!" card?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit