Rejecting God or rejecting religion?

by kojo 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Undecided
    Undecided

Regardless of what we beleive we are all going down the road to a grave yard someday. Now what happens after that cannot be proven, it's just imagination. Enjoy the trip.

Ken P.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I can understand that lots of bad thngs that happen are man made, even somse of the things that look like natural disasters.

But what I cant understand is why male dogs shag male dogs? Why some monkeys hunt and rape and kill other monkeys for apparent pleasure in the wild? Why ladybirds have pubic lice?

The JW answer was that even the animal kingdom was a long way from perfection. But you are not telling me that Adams sin somehow affected ladybirds, and that they were monogamous in paradise and hence didnt have pubic lice. Those little guys shag for 5 hours at a time, one lady ladybird after the other. And theyve riddled with pubic lice. Who invented that???

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I actually became very disgusted with the society and their idea of god. I really began to feel insulted by it in many ways but never stopped believing in God. Confused often but not enough to become atheist yet.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    Confused often but not enough to become atheist yet.

Me too.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Ross:

Please tell me you're not so bigotted as to believe that your's is the only way...

My what? Where did I say anything was mine? Way to where?

I'm using religious language because that is what people use here; so I understand that it sounds like a belief system. It's not a belief. Believing in the infinity of what the word G-O-D points to, will get you nowhere but add more baggage to the mind.

It's about seeing it; really realizing the endless vastness of what looks out your eyes. It is the true Self seeing Itself. It's not a way. It's just what already really is. It's not a belief, it's reality. When it is seen the mind and ALL it's beliefs is awe struck into total silence. When it is seen there are no interpretations of it, or mental formulations. The mind stops; and the Life which you really are dissolves into the endless Ocean of Conscious existence from which all arises in, which is what the word G-O-D points to.

If there is a problem, it's simply my moronic choice of words to attempt to describe what can not be. My bad.

I do not desire anyone to believe anything I say or feel there is some great importance to my words. Rather, just tempt them a little to perhaps begin some serious investigation into their own deepest sense of existence to see if there is more.

j

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate
    That's really neat. That's the first time I heard of someone that young having that kind of experience. If you don't mind me asking, how does your mother feel about you and treat you now? And, if you don't mind me asking a second question, what Christian denomination do you belong to?

I love my mother dearly, she reads this forum regularly, and is now "born again" herself. She will be 76 this month. She lives with hubby and I. We worship together at the same church. It is connected to Calvary Chapel. A very good church for anyone who has had bad experiences with churches (which are many).

Calvary Chapels are non denominational www.calvarychapel.com . They were started by one educated minister who saw the need to bring the Light of Christ to a bunch of sick strung out hippies in the 60's in Southern California. All the other church people shunned him for welcoming barefoot stoned beach bums to church.

It is a come as you are church. Of course like I stated earlier you will find posers in any church. But if you stick around long enough you will find some really humble selfless followers of Jesus.

To tell you the truth, I had a harder time trying to believe that all this awesome beauty in the world was the result of some cosmic accident. That there is no scientific laws like the second law of thermodynamics. It was impossible for me to believe that all this appeared by accident, without Intelligent Desighn, from nothingness.

When I learned I had a genetic disease, I started doing research into DNA. I have no doubt now that when God created everything "according to its kind" that He did just that.

However I have no need to sway someone to believe like I do. I do tell people why and who I am when asked. The reason is that God is faithful, He has proved himself to me, and does not shun anyone. He really is the Good Shepherd.

To reject religion is not to reject God, but when you have a healthy combination of both, it is as it should be; an extended family who accepts you as you are, does not judge your imperfections because they know they have some of their own. They do not work for some position, but give out of real love.

• Perry
    Perry
    Regardless of what we beleive we are all going down the road to a grave yard someday.

So, you have nothing to lose. Why not just believe God and see how your walk together progresses while you're still alive?

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor
    I think volcanoes and tsunamis are on the "to do" list, right after God's family is fully revealed and evil and freedom are reconciled.

How convenient. God's explanation is on hold until further notice. Until then preacher boy mocks those who are too *smart* to accept his mute God.

Instead of quoting Romans 8, why don't you tell us what "the whole creation" refers to? Man? Animals? Freakish weather? Movement of tectonic plates? If it refers to all of the above, how did the Adamic sin trigger such universal degradation? (See katiekitten's post)

INQ

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

sometimes I have a really good cry and feel at peace afterwards. It's another sort of physical release - the other kind is good too. I didn't know it was the power of god working in me, I thought it was a physical and emotional reaction, but I guess that's just one more area where I have fallen "short".

I wish I had a dollar for every person with a similar story saying those who don't believe in god or don't know what they believe just haven't experienced "it" yet.

The only thing I know is that I don't know anything with certainty and I'm never going to, and neither does anyone else. So this sort of post/thread just isn't relevant anymore to me.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

IAGN:

I wish I had a dollar for every person with a similar story saying those who don't believe in god or don't know what they believe just haven't experienced "it" yet.

It has been my experience, personal and vicarious, before and after, that it's irrelevant which side of the experience/no-experience divide we fall on. All is vanity and a striving after wind...

James:

I follow what you're saying, but just have to stir it up a bit...

What makes your perspective any more right that anothers'? Your transcendant experience?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit