Would You Stop Going To Mel Gibson Movies???

by minimus 60 Replies latest jw friends

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I like mel gibson movies, I plan to see the next one if it is good.

• Scully
    Scully

Unlike Tom Cruise, Mel Gibson at least had the balls to apologize for his offensive remarks (even if, underneath it all he still believes what he said while inebriated). Tom Cruise doesn't give a crap that his beliefs about depression in general, and postpartum depression in particular, offend anyone. He believes he's right and the medical profession is wrong and considers depression to be a "choice" that someone makes.

I don't seek out Mel Gibson's movies anymore after a few real stinkers like Signs and the Lethal Weapon movies, but I wouldn't boycott his stuff like I do Tom Cruise's work.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Not at all. I like him and his movies. Isn't he entitled to make mistakes like the rest of us? If we knew how many people we have contact with every day in public that have a DUI on their record, I think we would be astonished. We never would have heard about Joe Average being an idiot and getting arrested for DUI. He is just unfortunate enough to have done something really stupid and be famous.

As for his comments, which I have yet to see a transcript for so don't really KNOW exactly what was said, haven't we all been mad at someone or a situation and said something that can be taken the wrong way in the heat of the moment? Maybe we say something that when the moment is over, we sincerely regret what was said? I know that I have done that many times, and if I have a glass of wine in me, it's even worse if I am upset at someone or something. The heat of emotion can cause that, and add some alchohol that intensifies the emotions you are feeling and you have a recipe for disaster. People who are drunk say a lot of things.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

If we were to judge art on the morals of the artist we might as well give up our senses.

No excuses, just reality.

I like Sinatra's singing and he was a mafioso.

W.Once

• Forscher
    Forscher

If the guy contiues to turn out quality movies, I wouldn't stop going to them.
    He is not the only actor who has an opinion I don't like wgo's movies I watch if they're good. I watched a Jew asked a simliar question last night. He said pointed out that in nearly fifty years as an actor Mel gibson has managed to keep that opinion to himself and treated Jewish colleagues respectfully. So it would not be appropriate to judge the man and shunn him based on one drunken tirade. If, however, it happens more regularly, that it another kettle of fish. I agree!
    Forscher

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

No..if he had a movie I thought was worth seeing I'd go. He's an entertainer that what I pay to go see - entertainment. What I do find interesting though is that everyone believes that he said these things because he was drunk. I disagree. He is a zealous Catholic and my understanding is that he is extremely fundamental and devout. If that is the case, then I think his comments might have to do a lot with his religious point of view and not as much as his drunken state. Same as when he ticked off the gay community a few years back and he gave the same sad speech he gave to the Jewish community - how much he needs their support. I think he could care less. He has enough money as he said 'he owns Malibu'..I think he was being an arrogant a.hole. but hey, would I still go and see his movies. swife.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

No, I'll still go if the movie is worth seeing. I like people, warts and all. I don't cotton to perfect people very well. I didn't find Passion anti-semitic anymore than anti-Italtian.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I don't see his movies now. The last thing I saw with him in it was "Maverick" and that was 1994.

Braveheart was overrated. The best thing he's been involved in a long time was "Chicken Run" and then he only provided the voice.

Why are people getting so worked over some actor getting drunk and throwing out racial epithets? Who cares what any actor says or does? When I go to see a movie I'm interested in the plot and the performances. I'm as interested in these people as they are in me.

• roybatty
    roybatty

C'mon, they're all wack jobs.

Tom Cruise doesn't give a crap that his beliefs about depression in general, and postpartum depression in particular, offend anyone. He believes he's right and the medical profession is wrong and considers depression to be a "choice" that someone makes.

But, dam, that guy can put together a good movie. I was looking over my dvd collection the other day and I noticed for the first time that of all the movies I have, Cruise movies number the most. Just watched Colladeral and The Sammuri last week...great flicks.

If Cruise is using vodoo and witchcraft to help him make great flicks, spread it around Tom because most of your peers put out crap.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I think we all have prejudices so I wouldn't boycott Mel Gibson because of a single drunken tirade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit