KH Builds are a statistical sham!

by jeeprube 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

In Rich Dad Poor Dad it quotes the CEO of MacDonalds saying that Macca's is not about burgers, it is about realestate. They make their money by selecting the best land and having capital growth.

Kingdom halls are the same. They are about increasing the value of the Watchtower Society and its subsidiaries through property growth, with the added value of free labour.

The notion of 2 day halls is simple marketing. My father ran a 2 day hall project, and we worked night and day for 6 months preparing everything so that it could be errected in the two days. It is far more efficient to build a hall gradually as normal builders do.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

In Rich Dad Poor Dad it quotes the CEO of MacDonalds saying that Macca's is not about burgers, it is about realestate. They make their money by selecting the best land and having capital growth.

Kingdom halls are the same. They are about increasing the value of the Watchtower Society and its subsidiaries through property growth, with the added value of free labour.

The notion of 2 day halls is simple marketing. My father ran a 2 day hall project, and we worked night and day for 6 months preparing everything so that it could be errected in the two days. It is far more efficient to build a hall gradually as normal builders do.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

It sounds to me as if KH builds are the only "bonding" experience now allowable to the average JW.If I were a JW, I'd probably be signing up for all the quick builds but be strangely unavailable for most everything else!

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Let's be fair What the witnesses do is not being done by other religions and most of the time it is enjoyable being with your friends instead of knocking on doors sspo

You're right. Other churches are autonomous and only build or remodel when they outgrow their facilities. Usually, they spend their money wisely and haveo a site-assesment survey done before attempting anything. The jw's always talk about how Satan keeps his followers so busy they can't serve Jehovah. What they don't realise is that Christians usually have more time to really study than a lot of jw's who are too busy peddling Watchtower 'Bible Aids' around town.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos
    Let's be fair

What the witnesses do is not being done by other religions and most of the time it is enjoyable being with your friends instead of knocking on doors

Crap When I was living in Victoria, TX. a young man with a wife and two small children was killed dead when he fell off the roof of the church he was helping build for his congregation. It is fairly common for the small sects to do their own construction, often with disastrous results. (Waco?) This was a Church of Christ off shoot sect The unfinished building was demolished and the property sold. The civil suit ended with a judgement against the church. Because it was self-insured (sound familiar?) there was no payment because there were no assets other than the (sold) property.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    What the witnesses do is not being done by other religions and most of the time it is enjoyable being with your friends instead of knocking on doors

Double Crap. I've seen quite a few churches built in the town I live in. Twice to triple and bigger than the usual kingdom hall size. The church I go to now is in the process of building a church and no, we will not rely solely on our members to get it built - it's going to be a professional job. But then at my church we have other means to socialize and enjoy the fellowship of the church, unlike the jws. Geez now I feel sorry for them.

Josie

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

lol at that "edifice complex", although of course the pun only works if you've got an american accent. below is pictured (assuming my html code works...) a dub megabuild that i worked on, an experience that is now unfortunately one of my most prominant memories of my teenage years. quite a few on this forum will instantly recognise the place!

• caligirl
    caligirl

Completely. The hall I grew up in is doing one next weekend. Not because they have outgrown, but because they lost their additional parking. The old KH is becoming a dentist's practice, which cracks me up. Too bad there wasn't any laughing gas there to partake of when I was attending. It would have made it a lot more interesting!

• willyloman
    willyloman
    There is some truth to the notion that some brothers just love to build Kingdom Halls. I was forced to deal with some of them as an elder and they could be downright fanatical about it, even when there was no growth taking place. I called it an "edifice complex"

I had the same experience and reached the same conclusion. I even used "edifice complex" in describing the phenomenon to someone. I occupied a support position on the RBC for some years and the ranking committee members were all contractors or subcontractors, employed in the building trades. It was very clear that a "quick-build" project validated their career choices and confirmed their strong belief that in the new system the only really useful people would be those with building skills.

This is why so many of these guys go from project to project, devoting many weekends a year to this quick builds all over their region. It's a real power trip and it gets you out of the mundane weekend service-and-meeting whirlpool.

In our region, there was absolutely zero growth in the four English congos utilizing two Kingdom Halls, despite that fact we lived in a high growth California area where the population more than doubled in less than two decades. Despite this extraordinary growth, the number of active JWs was fairly static for the last 10 years. A lot of dubs moved in, but they were going out the back door at the same rate.

Nevertheless, the RBC scouted out a site and announced plans to build two new halls on adjacent lots. This would allow the English congos to bail out of the existing halls, which were both paid for and for which the monthly expenses totalled several hundred dollars... requiring a contribution from each congo of just a few hundred bucks a month.

In the end, even though many local dubs questioned the need for new buildings, the halls were erected and shared by the four congos -- each of which now contributes almost $1,500 a month to pay off the loan and operate the halls. The older buildings were gifted to several Spanish congos in the area, some of which were sharing an even older hall with two or three other congos.

End result? There are two additional KH's in the area serving the exact same number of congos as before, requiring a hell of a lot more in contributions. Also, there are now only two congos sharing each hall, so there's plenty of "room for growth." Except there isn't any growth, only the illusion that "Jehovah's organization is on the move!."

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Building kingdom halls is an exciting past-time for those involved with them.
    Totally agree that in the west zero growth means a lack of opportunities to build new halls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit