For those not sick to death of talking about this...607 BCE

by Swamboozled 601 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Hamboozled
    Hamboozled

Scholar,

No offense, but you remind me of several elders that carry that "high and mighty" attitude in the congregation and constantly poke at people's ability to reason on things and try to shame everyone in to worshiping Jehovah. I know there are people here that probably give you grief and make you angry, but you are not displaying the humble personality that Christ took while he was here on earth. You made a statement about someone that comes into the truth and accepts it as the truth and if they leave they are displaying a fool's thinking. What the JW's teach as a whole is refreshing and pure until you peel back the many layers of the society and find out it is actually a business that operates as a religion on the side. It takes years to realize. A fool is someone who stays in a religion that keeps putting out false prophicies and dates and blames it on the light getting BRIGHTER. By now that light should be as bright as the sun, but they continue to make even more false prophicies. You really need to read Franz book about how things are really done on a voting majority on serious issues rather than using the scriptures to make decisions. It's sad and you buy into it and defend it. I'll pray for you.

• toreador
    toreador
    kgav8r : I am going to have to agree (at least i think i'm agreeing, not really sure at this point) with 3rdW. The prophecy of Tyre was fullfilled but not until 322 B.C. (or is that 302 B.C.E.) by Alexander the Great.

How is it fulfilled if the city of Tyre at this date in history is populated by over 200,000 people which encompasses the island, the peninsula (which now connects the island to the mainland), and the mainland itself? It has not remained desolate as Ezekial prophecy foretold. Tor

• kgav8r
    kgav8r

Chill out all!!! Don't flame me. I take no sides in this debate. I am an innocent bystander. Like i said, i think i agree, but with this new light, i am going to have to say that i do not in full. It is all a matter of interpretation. Does Tyre exist as it did in Nebuchadrezzars time? No. Has it been rebuilt? Sure. If we want to assume a literal desolation as defined by the WTS, then we can only come to the conclusion that this time has not yet come. This, i believe, in no way violates biblical prophecy as we are not supposed to know when these things are going to occur. With that said, i do believe it is a little weird that it did not occur around 600 BC or so. Perhaps a figurative interpretation is in order. The bible is very poetic after all. Of course we have King James to thank for that. Not to say that the psalms or the other "writings" weren't already poetic.

• toreador
    toreador

Sure if you want to say that Tyre will sometime in the unknowable future will be laid desolate you can say that the bible may still be accurate. But thats really stretching things. That particular prophecy was written for that particular people at that time. What good would it be to destroy the city thousands of years in the future on a people that dont have a clue about the prophecy meant for them. Tor

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

kgav8r,

No flame intended. Tyre exists today, in the same place as it did before. Yeh its changed, but they didn't have SUV's back then.

steve

• kgav8r
    kgav8r

And i agree with you fully on that point, Tor. Like i said, a figurative interpretation is in order. I know there are problems in the Bible. I also believe that to focus on small, literal errors and to keep dwelling on them is to miss the point of the Bible itself. I have no hidden agenda. If 607BCE is disproved or proved, it won't make one lick of difference to me. It's not going to rock my faith. Of course, my faith does not depend on dates or any tangible evidence. Isn't that the difinition of faith anyway, believing in something we can not see bu know is true? I sometimes wonder if the WTS would crumble if they changed thier doctrine about 607BCE, but somehow managed to uphold 1914.

• kgav8r
    kgav8r

The overall theme of the book of Ezekiel is hope for the restoration of Israel. To give his people this hope Yahweh through his prophet Ezekiel speaks harshly against their enemies. Ezekiel, a mere man, writes these words for all to hear and we can read them in chapters 25-32. I think it would have been much more reassuring to tell my fellow chosen people that our enemies would be destroyed forever with their cities destined to be a rock never to be rebuilt. What kind of confidence would this have given the people if they had known that at some time the cites would be restored to a new glory. Granted, Tyre is not the place it used to be, but times have indeed changed. Yahweh did not lie, but he gave Ezekiel the power to bring hope to the people of Israel. Hope for a new restored nation with a new temple in which to humbly worship their God. Ezekiel is a book of encouragement. Yahweh punished israel for their sins, but because He still loved them and still had a future for them, they were able to return to their land as foretold.

• toreador
    toreador

Hello kgav8r No flame intended on my part either. : I think it would have been much more reassuring to tell my fellow chosen people that our enemies would be destroyed forever with their cities destined to be a rock never to be rebuilt. What kind of confidence would this have given the people if they had known that at some time the cites would be restored to a new glory. Yes, I agree, but above all else in order for anyone to have confidence in God, He must always tell the truth if he can in fact foretell the future. Otherwise what confidence can future generations believe in what he foretells if he is not 100 percent accurate. :Granted, Tyre is not the place it used to be, but times have indeed changed. Yahweh did not lie, but he gave Ezekiel the power to bring hope to the people of Israel. Anyone can give hope, but it can be a false hope as in the case of the WTS. : Hope for a new restored nation with a new temple in which to humbly worship their God. Ezekiel is a book of encouragement. Yahweh punished israel for their sins, but because He still loved them and still had a future for them, they were able to return to their land as foretold. If you believe Yahwey is the giver of life to everyone, then He should love all his children, not just the Israelites. As I said before it is important, in fact imperative for an omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent God, if He is such, to be 100 percent accurate. Otherwise it is like the little boy who cried wolf, no one in the end believed him because he did not always tell the truth. But then there is always the possibility that it was Ezekial who presumed he was spirit directed or inspired such as the GB of Jehovah's Witnesses, and NOT God who prompted him to write what he did. He may have went to far. We or at least I dont know for sure. All I know is that the city of Tyre is alive and well on the same spot it was supposed to lie desolate for times indefinite. Tor

• thirdwitness
    thirdwitness

Tyre ruins. Hey look. Ezekiel and even Jehovah just might be right after all.

alt

alt

alt

alt

alt

alt

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

In the last picture does anyone else see a sky scraper? Yes, yes thirdwitness, there are ruins in Tyre, but there are ruins all over the planet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit