Poll - on a scale of one to ten...

by slimboyfat 47 Replies latest jw friends

• south african beef
    south african beef

As a child growing up under mega spiritual parents - 10+

Getting baptised at the age of 18 - 10-

Getting married at the age of 21 to the only available Witless girl - 8

Being appointed a MS and giving public talks etc - 9

Associating with'weaker' ones and trying to enjoy life whilst being a Witto - 6

When my marriage was breaking up and I was recieving 'counsel' - 3

Now I'm remarried, d'fed and very happy I think on a scale of 1-10 it must be 9.5 it's not the 'troof'.

However, got to keep the 0.5 in there just in case.

Oh no, wait a minute, an elder told me when I was being d'fed that because I was deliberately about to take a wrong course I would be sinning against the 'spirit' so I could never come back to Gods Org if I wanted to. So it's a 10 then!

• bem
    bem

I whole heartedly believed it was the truth so 10

and I as whole heartedly know it isn't the truth but I'm at a 9 on this side of it, because we have no way of knowing if it is or is not the truth, and if I wasn't so wishful when I did believe, wanting it to be the way, then I wouldn't of said 10 then either.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I like the way Drew Sagan charted his belief decline and the others that have followed suit so here's mine. Oh and great question by the way Slimboyfat.

At 13 and baptism - 10

At 16 and swallowing 100 paracetemol with a bottle of whiskey - 10

At disfellowshipping for above act on leaving hospital (amongst other offences) - 10

At reinstatement at 17 - 10

At disfellowshipping two weeks later - 10

At reinstatement when 23 - 10

At disfellwoshipping when 23 - 10

At visiting Dynamic Earth Exhibition - evolution exhibit - 9

At reading Crisis of Conscience - 8

At reading In Search of Christian Freedom - 8

At meeting and talking to Anton (a Scottish DFed elder) of the now closed Witness Aid UK site - 7

At participating on EX JW (Ronnies Board) 6

At spending a few months on Simon's Board 1

So currently like slimboyfat I am at my most convinced its not the truth 9 - and for the same reason because nothing is certain.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I would say 9.9 then (because the utmost positive conviction always implied an ounce of repressed doubt) and 10 now (because it is way easier to reach an absolute negative conviction).

• Taythan
    Taythan

I agree with Drew the yearly curve from total belief to total disbelief the only difference for me is the years on the curve.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Very interesting answers.

I would say that I am a bit surprised by how convinced people say they were about the Witnesses when they were members. My expectation and my own experience has been one of constant doubt.

Slim

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Slim, No contradiction here. I was 10/10 before I read the book on the myth of certainty.I thought that you would of understood that. I answered your question last when I should of answered it first. I hope this clears it up.

Bluelades

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Honestly 0 and 10

I can say that even as a young kid I never believed.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

How convinced were you at your most convinced that Jehovah's Witnesses had the truth? 8, could never make it to 10. which explains why I didn't get baptised as a jw.

How convinced are you now that Jehovah's Witnesses do not have the truth? A big fat 10+++++

Josie

• damselfly
    damselfly

<<I can say that even as a young kid I never believed. >>

I hear you, it just never fully made sense.

As a kid (3 I think) god was explained to my cousin and I. We looked at each other in disbelief and laughed "there is not"

Yeah that didn't go over so well LMAO. They should have known right then really it wasn't for me.

Dams

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit