I Threw Away My Entire Watchtower Library Today

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

"I told him where they were if he can retrieve them before they are totally gone."

"Totally Gone"?? What sort of place did you dump the stuff?

Sounds like some people might already had been dumpster diving to get to the spiritual garbage you threw out.

--VM44

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Thanks for starting this thread, Minimus. I'm moving this weekend and I have bookshelves full of bound volumes I "inherited" when friends of the family disassociated themselves and were just going to throw them away.

It's so much work to move all of this crap. But I don't want to throw it out. So I'll review this thread and decide what can be done with it.

Although it would be somehow satisfying to rip up some magazines . . . maybe the stacks and stacks of old mags that never got placed in the door-to-door work...

• blondie
    blondie

Do you have bound volumes you don't want...check with Randy Watters....he can sell them to fund his website. www.freeminds.org

I find it better to research on my WT-CD 2005. I only keep out the WT publications that are not on the CD. But then I do research for others and myself.

Blondie

• jgnat
    jgnat

Some Watchtowers and Yearbooks are more equal than others, are they not? The CD only goes back so far. Also, there are the few Watchtowers where the paper version was edited for the yearbook. I understand those are more dear. And, the Watchtowers and Yearbooks who predicted 1975 and "apologized" for 1975.

Would it be possible to make a list of the most valuable publications? I assume the Golden Age and the phonograph records of Rutherford are right up there.

• wednesday
    wednesday

i'm currently looking for "jehovah's witness protection program" .I have tried both amazon and amazon.com/uk. they are sold out. anyone knows where else I can try? I have tried overstock.com, but i am never able to find anything there.

I have 1968-1994 WT and Awake bound volumes, plus some of the books plus select older books. some i'm keeping b/c they were my parents and have sentimental value. My husband and i are ready to throw out. This has been hard b/c that is mostof our life, sitting on our book shelf. I'm not sure how to do this, but perhaps i shoud put them on amazon.com.I have never used ebay, and it seems confusing. Id' send them to anyone here if you pay postage. that seems to be the only problem as i can see. the postage on the bound volumes must be a lot.

• VM44
    VM44

Keep any Awake! bound volumes you find for the years 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972.

These are the years when the year 1975 was heavily being promoted and articles were published containing statements that many JWs today deny were ever made by the Watchtower.

For example, in the late 1960s, the Awake published an article that say flat out that it was a "fact" that Armageddon (the end of this old world) would come about before a young person could finish college and start a career.

It is important to be able to document statements like that.

--VM44

• xjwms
    xjwms

Also

early 70's K M 's had many statements regarding 1975

• JH
    JH

I'm sure they will recycle the paper you threw away, and they will come out with recycled new light from recycled old watchtower paper.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

i figured minimus was STROKING US. i knew all ALONG if he does /or did have wt back to 1879. he wouldn't dump them without offering them or selling them. most likely he's library goes back to about 1950. and most of them books sell for $3 each on ebay. with what most jw's have ie. last 30-40 years . it's easier to dump . then sell for $3 on e bay. john

• Taythan
    Taythan

I wanted so badly to make a bonfire, alas I ended up just leaving them to my Mom and StepDad who were still JW's at the time when I decided the best way to close that chapter in life was to move far far away. Although my dream bonfire never happened, during my rebelious teens I did have the satisfaction of ripping a Live Forever Book to shreds. For some strange reason I did hold onto a Bible and a song book for a couple of years, discovered them in a box during a move I had a laugh and pitched them in an apartment complex dumpster.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit