DannyBloem

Welcome dust

• serendipity
    serendipity

Hi dust & welcome!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

derek

We agree! But the pedophile doesn't see it that way. He doesn't think he is hurting anyone, does he? What makes us right and him wrong?
    Because he is hurting someone. If it was not harmful to the child, then there would be no problem. That's the reason it's wrong. Not because your god says so (although the god of the bible certainly never does, and some people's gods actually encourage it) but because it harms a human being.

Glad I'm not your dog! That really doesn't answer my question. Tell me why is it wrong to hurt another human being.

Do you really think that obedience is equivalent to morality? No wonder you can't understand how we get our morals if you think it's about obeying whoever's in charge.

So you don't think respect for authority is a moral virtue? Yes, this is very telling!

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

You don't think children understand right from wrong? I knew at a very young age what obey mom and dad meant!

As has been stated, the ability to obey does not imply that a child understands the concepts of right and wrong which might underly the command.

To find more about how morality develops in a person, try searching on google for 'moral development', lots of research out there.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

So you don't think respect for authority is a moral virtue? Yes, this is very telling!

That's moving away from the point, you were incorrectly equating respect for authority with an understanding of the concepts of right and wrong, not stating it merely as a 'moral virtue'

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

skeptic

To find more about how morality develops in a person, try searching on google for 'moral development', lots of research out there.

I'm not interested in 'moral development'. I'm interested in moral origin.

D Dog

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

I'm not interested in 'moral development'. I'm interested in moral origin.

You're being disingenuous now. They are the same thing.

If something does not exist (young children do not understand the concept of right and wrong), and is then later seen to exist (many older children/adults understand the concept of right and wrong), we must assume that at some point between the two extremes the something originated (relative to it's environment), and that the movement from one extreme to the other can fairly be described as development, especially when the inbetween states are evident.

• skeptic2
    skeptic2

DD - May I ask, by what mechanism does your god implant the concepts of right and wrong into a human? In your view, does every human have an absolute sense of right and wrong from birth (contravening all evidence)? Do you believe it is impossible for humans to learn concepts as they mature? If not, how are you so sure that humans do not learn moral concepts as they mature?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

How's this for a pointless argument?

WT Sep 1 06:

"... Can you be good without worshipping God? A person who does nothing for his loving parents is hardly justified in considering himself good, is he? Can a person who does nothing for God be good?"

Atheists in the form of doctors and others save lives every day. According to this, what they are doing is not good. This idea that atheists do nothing good is a straw man argument.

Many Witlesses will do nothing for their loving (DF) parents, yet consider this shunning "GOOD" ie tough love. (See the Gary Buss chronicles on this.)

Not only does the person need to be convinced that what he is doing is for God (code = WT), it must be convincingly proved that it is Goodness, even if it involves killing thier babies or committing suicide by refusing blood, or cutting your relatives dead at funerals and weddings because they don't accept WTBTS trash anymore.

HB

• Berean
    Berean

quote:

"if an atheist leads good life with high moral standards, because he choice to do so and thinks for logic it is a good thing, does it not mean much more then when a theist does the same, because his gods tells him to do it?

what's your thoughs on this?"

I am sure the CCJW (Christian Congreagation of Jehovah's Witnesses) would say, as they have in the past (as the WBTS, Watchtower Bible and Tract Society), even Satan does good things to mislead people.

Godless idiots!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit