if an atheist does something good...

by DannyBloem 113 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Deputy Dog:

Glad I'm not your dog!

Okaayyy

Tell me why is it wrong to hurt another human being.

Because God said so. No, wait, that's why you think it's wrong. I think it's wrong because it has a negative impact on the life of a person and on society as a whole. I would not want to be hurt, and would not want to be part of a society where someone could hurt me with impunity.

So you don't think respect for authority is a moral virtue? Yes, this is very telling!

I'm not sure I do. At best, it's a pragmatic approach, and pragmatism is hardly morality. If the authority is there to enforce reasonable fair behaviour, then I will behave in that way because it is right, not because an authority figure forces me to. If the rules being enforced are unfair or arbitrary, I will obey only out of fear of punishment. My morality is independent of any authority figures, legitimate or otherwise. Deputy Dog, do you think genocide is moral if God ordered it? Can God be immoral, even hypothetically? Where does God get his morality?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Deputy God -

I don't see why "respect for authority" should be a moral virtue. And It IS very telling that Funky does not see this.

What about respect for the authority of Hitler? Virtuous? Maybe it is, becuase Hitler, like Jehoobie attempted genocide. (NO. WAIT!!!! Hitler's genocide was wrong because it tried to kill off all the people Jehoobie had told to kill of all the other unbelievers.)

the genocide of non-Israelites was virtuous and to be done out of respect for authority of the God of Abraham.

I have no doubt that many argue respect for authority as a virtue - as long as the authority is one they recognize as valid.

Out of respect for authority ( you claim it is in itself a virtue) how many thousands have died as a result of recognizing the authority of the WTBTS in their lives? They refused vaccinations organ transplants clotting factors blood transfusions. Not only for themselves, but for their offspring, many of whom were too young to decide for themselves whether they wanted to respect the authority in their parents' lives which "persuaded" them to do this.

If you do not respect the WTBTS authority, I find this even more telling. After all they claim to represent God's authority on earth today.

Or is there perhaps some other "authority" which you respect which everybody else should also, say Osama, George B. The Pope, or perhaps just the leaders of your church? Or maybe just YOU as Gods Deputy??

HB

• astro
    astro

Wow!

Lots of erroneous assumptions here regarding the atheist,let alone downright ignorance of the 'atheist worldview'.

The arguement that morals come from god are ridiculous.The burden of proof is on the individual to evidence a god even exists first.

It is through the forces of biological and social evolution in societies that have created moral codes and principles.Issues of self-interest,rational consideration,compassion,similar human needs,interactions with others and the world are factors.No mythical skydaddy is needed to achieve this.

I'm curious as to why pedophilia was brought up ..as a comparison?Intimating the atheist would not know this to be repugnant without someone/thing telling them so? Kind of says something about one making such a comparison.Would they need it dictated/told to them that it is abhorrent? Sophmoric thinking there.As well as evidence of narrow and close-minded thinking.

I ssee some here haven't a clue about the atheists 'worldview'.It would help if you understood it factually rather than operating under error and ignorance.

The atheist makes positive moral decisions based on good will and personal responsibility-not at all in conjunction with 'reward and/or punishment the absolute theist does.

KidA,Fd Skeptic! Great posts!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Astro:

The arguement that morals come from god are ridiculous.The burden of proof is on the individual to evidence a god even exists first.

It is through the forces of biological and social evolution in societies that have created moral codes and principles.Issues of self-interest,rational consideration,compassion,similar human needs,interactions with others and the world are factors.

And thus you fall into the trap of placing a burden of proof on yourself, as does HB in claiming that there's an "instinct of impulsive compassion"? Most scientists would avoid that one like the plague because it simply cant be proven. Inferred, yes, but proven, no

Lots of erroneous assumptions here regarding the atheist,let alone downright ignorance of the 'atheist worldview'.

Now who's generalising? Just as with individual religionists, athiests are individuals with their own individual worldview. Surely the point is that you can't paint a whole group the same colour just because of their [non]belief in a Deity?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit